User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Too bad we can't get a third perspective to triangulate things.
    You mean a happy medium perspective? I mean, probably after I'd had a while to stop being hot-lava furious at her for being such an entitled brat, I would probably become level-headed enough not to want to shoot holes in her laptop. But I do think she needs to understand that there are consequences for trash-talking people in a public place and showing such disrespect. Taking a few privileges away didn't seem to help the first time around. I am all for trying to understand the kid, but there were a few times my parents very rightly clamped down on my bratty behavior. Other times, they overreacted, or they saw questioning or having an opinion as disrespect when I didn't intend it to be. This kid seems to need an understanding of how much her parents actually give her that she just takes for granted.

Also, this is why I probably shouldn't ever have kids. I don't have much patience for bratty teens.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Uh.... I was talking about a "fact check."

So far, we have HIS perspective; we have HER perspective (as a letter she supposedly posted on her FaceBook page, as read to us by HIM); and... no way to see things from another angle to lend credibility to either perspective.

Like I said, we've had to deal with some of this from two of our own kids, so it's not like I can't identify with his anger. However, he doesn't particularly come off as the best character witness due to the extremity of his response, so it's too bad we don't have a way of confirming the "facts" ... although since his post went viral, I'm sure that anyone who has any dirt on him (or her) is going to pop up any day now and we'll find out.

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    His shaky rebuttals allign with the immature delivery. Go learn to be a parent. Hope she manages to come out balanced an independent in order to GTFO for her own sake.
    sounds like you've been a kid, but never a parent.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

So far, we have HIS perspective; we have HER perspective (as a letter she supposedly posted on her FaceBook page, as read to us by HIM); and... no way to see things from another angle to lend credibility to either perspective.

Like I said, we've had to deal with some of this from two of our own kids, so it's not like I can't identify with his anger. However, he doesn't particularly come off as the best character witness due to the extremity of his response, so it's too bad we don't have a way of confirming the "facts" ... although since his post went viral, I'm sure that anyone who has any dirt on him (or her) is going to pop up any day now and we'll find out.
    Oh, gotcha. I guess if Mom didn't really ask for a bullet on her behalf, etc., and the dad was fudging his side of things, we'll be hearing from her soon.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Oh, gotcha. I guess if Mom didn't really ask for a bullet on her behalf, etc., and the dad was fudging his side of things, we'll be hearing from her soon.
    I don't think he'd lie about the bullet, she either did or she didn't (so you can't exaggerate that one); but I'm curious to know whether he's a control freak, and how exaggerated her complaints were in the letter, since what he claimed she was supposed to do is a lot less than what she claimed she was doing.

Give it a few days and maybe we'll know more.

Also, while I'm assuming it's legal for him to own that gun as well as the ammo he used, I'm wondering if someone's going to try to call protective services on him for how he handled it... whether or not it's justified. on the internet, there's a lot of extreme people willing to get into other people's business especially over issues involving children.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTx

Dad's facebook with various discussions about the incident. I have to say, I kinda like the guy.

https://www.facebook.com/tommyjordaniii

sounds like you've been a kid, but never a parent.
    Sounds like he can form a class.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

garbage

I also wonder whether this is how, as an IT professional, he approaches all computer problems.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I also wonder whether this is how, as an IT professional, he approaches all computer problems.
    Well if he's retained employment status doing that, maybe it's a method other IT professionals should consider.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    Sounds like he can form a class.
    I don't even understand that comment. Want to clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Well if he's retained employment status doing that, maybe it's a method other IT professionals should consider.
    It's kind of unrelated, but it reminded me of this photo this author sent in for a book he was publishing with us when I was in my very first job after college (a computer book editor) -- he was discussing hard drive crashes, and the picture showed this hard drive where someone had taken a handgun (because he was pissed, I guess) and shot the damn thing once or twice with it. There were these huge gaping bullet holes in the hard drive, and the customer had then tried to send the hard drive in to customer service to be troubleshooted. It's one of the funniest pictures I've ever seen.

violaine

Neat stunt, I laughed. But I'm glad I'm neither child nor adult in this household. Just seems a typical breakdown in communication between parent and child. Perhaps that has to happen as kids pull away from their parents' influence, and it's just growing pains, for both parent and child.

I'd personally be horrified if a child of mine ever referred to someone as "the cleaning lady". But I can't stand "do as I say"/"I had it tough so you're going to do it tough too" style parenting. *rolls eyes* Has that ever worked? Doubt it. I think there's another way to reach your kid's heart. And maybe he really missed an opportunity to connect with his kid and for her to connect with him. Maybe she's venting because she doesn't feel respected or heard, just told what to do? It's all well and good when someone's 15, but parents who escalate things like this just seem near-sighted.

Still, this is all just conjecture. His method is way too attention-whorey for my own taste, which makes me suspect his motivations. Let's hope it was just to get her attention and they'll laugh about it... After he helps her get her own new lap top. What happens if she buys the lap top herself and he tries to tell her what to do with it? Riddle me that, Dad.