First 12345 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I'm also a little ambivalent. The reaction is totally over the top but I confess I'm on his side. He didn't ask anything completely unreasonable of her (although I think pressuring her to get a job is a bit unfair) and she goes around stabbing her parents in the back in return. I don't blame him for being upset about it; my parents would be very hurt and angry if I bad mouthed them so publicly and behaved like such a spoilt brat. I don't necessarily believe he's definitely going to follow through with 100% of those threats, as they were spoken in the heat of the moment; he's probably trying to make a point.
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if he was just trying to "make a point." To me, he came off as a Type A male who would consider "grounding her" for three years. He sounds like a guy who NEEDS to be in charge... not a wrong place for a parent to be, it's just you have to think long-term and what is best going to help my kid be well-adjusted, rather than how much you can lock down your kids. But who knows?

I think kids actually vent all the time, as much as adults will bitch to their friends about how much they hate their boss. Is that disrespect? Maybe, maybe not. I think the girl's issue is that she posted that on FaceBook, so it was more public than just a private vent to friends. Kids still haven't realized the electronic media is not a secure/prudent place to air your dirty laundry. I'm not naive enough to think that most kids don't at some point badmouth their parents to friends; basically though, you need to keep it under wraps, even if you're letting off steam.

To be honest, the issues we're having with my daughter right now -- she's written nastier messages to my ex than that letter this guy read to the camera. My daughter isn't a truant either, she's just really strong-willed and is working through what it means to be 13; somehow we have to clamp down on that without crushing her. And boy is she giving us a run for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    If the laptop still works, can she continue to use it? I'm unclear on the rules here.
    It's a point of ambiguity. If she can fix the laptop, she could claim that he never said she couldn't use it.

Man. Guns are just the best way to show people that you mean business, though.
    I thought it was really sweet that he plugged it once for his wife. What a man of thoughtfulness!

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    You dont get it and i cba to explain you how teenagers function or give you lectures on developmental psychology.

Its not about lazy P, its about having overly high expectations from a kid who doesent see them as normal when comparing them to her friends. And seriously, making a kid wash her own clothes.. sounds like the dad is the lazy one on taking care of his child and keeping the structure and cleanliness in his house that he wants. Mopping a floor daily isnt normal, if he wants to go anal with the floors, he should do it himself, not make his kids mop it..
    Did you listen to what he said?

He claimed he had her (1) sweep the kitchen floor, which takes five minutes and (2) wipe the counters down if they are dirty, which takes 1 minute if they are dirty and 0 minutes if they are not. She is also in charge of only washing her OWN clothes and making her OWN bed. Or did your mom always do all your laundry for you? I don't remember the mopping. THeir stories did not match up, so someone was lying and/or exaggerating. (I'm going to guess there was some incident where she was pissed at having to do chores, and one day he happened to drag mud in the house from the field and she didn't clean it up and got in trouble for not doing the 3-minute sweep, so she had a conniption.)

Our kids wash their own clothes. When you have four people living in a house, forcing one person with a full-time job to wash everyone else's clothes when there are other things to get done (cleaning, dinner, transportation, etc.) is just an extra drain... especially if one or more of the kids change their clothes more than once a day. The kids are teenagers and have to learn anyway, once they leave for college; they might as well understand it now. I'm not sure why you think forcing a 15-year-old to wash and dry their own laundry to be such an insufferable task; kids should be learning to do chores and contribute to the family's success, with more responsibility being given to them as they get older.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

If the laptop still works, can she continue to use it? I'm unclear on the rules here.

Man. Guns are just the best way to show people that you mean business, though.
    Shoot the computer and tell her to have a nice day.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

sweet, I finally get to use this smiley

-end of thread-

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if he was just trying to "make a point." To me, he came off as a Type A male who would consider "grounding her" for three years. He sounds like a guy who NEEDS to be in charge... not a wrong place for a parent to be, it's just you have to think long-term and what is best going to help my kid be well-adjusted, rather than how much you can lock down your kids. But who knows?

I think kids actually vent all the time, as much as adults will bitch to their friends about how much they hate their boss. Is that disrespect? Maybe, maybe not. I think the girl's issue is that she posted that on FaceBook, so it was more public than just a private vent to friends. Kids still haven't realized the electronic media is not a secure/prudent place to air your dirty laundry. I'm not naive enough to think that most kids don't at some point badmouth their parents to friends; basically though, you need to keep it under wraps, even if you're letting off steam.

To be honest, the issues we're having with my daughter right now -- she's written nastier messages to my ex than that letter this guy read to the camera. My daughter isn't a truant either, she's just really strong-willed and is working through what it means to be 13; somehow we have to clamp down on that without crushing her. And boy is she giving us a run for the money.
    Oh totally. It's fine to complain to your friends about your parents - everyone has done this. It's another thing to make a full blown statement against them, extremely publicly, and yet at the same time conceal it from them. And like you say it is typical teenage behaviour, although this doesn't make it any less upsetting for the parents. Oh well, I'm not going to get up in arms about. Depriving someone of a laptop isn't exactly the cruellest punishment known to mankind.

As an aside there was a TV series here in NZ run by a psychologist where he talked about parenting issues and gave out advice, with hilariously funny delivery I might add. It was called The Politically Incorrect Parenting Show (which was on younger children and the second series was The Politically Incorrect Guide to Teenagers) but basically it was mostly common sense advice, that often escapes parents when they're in the thick of it. The video made me think of it (minus the guns, though - you crazy Americans! ) in how straight forward and no nonsense the approach was. Anyway, if you can find the show (it doesn't seem to be on youtube), and if you can understand the accents , I thoroughly recommend it.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    she's 15. Is he really that surprised? esp considering she's done it before.
    Anyways, shes sounds like a little shit.

I wish I was a friend of hers, just so I can see the reactions on her wall. :}
    Ask @Patches, if anyone can make it happen, it's her
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Wow...that was unnecessary.

MBTI
    entp

Hollow Point ammo most likely means it ain't gonna be fixed

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he salvaged the internal hardware before blasting it, though.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I'm also a little ambivalent. The reaction is totally over the top but I confess I'm on his side. He didn't ask anything completely unreasonable of her (although I think pressuring her to get a job is a bit unfair) and she goes around stabbing her parents in the back in return. I don't blame him for being upset about it; my parents would be very hurt and angry if I bad mouthed them so publicly and behaved like such a spoilt brat. I don't necessarily believe he's definitely going to follow through with 100% of those threats, as they were spoken in the heat of the moment; he's probably trying to make a point.
    Yep, me, too. The kid seems like a spoiled little brat, and she needed a wakeup call. Yes, it's over the top, but it's also not the first time she's done something similar, and the message didn't worm its way through to her brain the first time. Shooting the laptop might be a bit crazy, but if she thinks it's okay to complain and be so disrespectful publicly, she should be big enough to take a taste of her own medicine.

Frankly, I'd take away her laptop after that, too, but I'd probably sell it instead of shooting it. Then if she wants to be paid for chores, she can earn back the money to buy her own. I'd let her be off the internet for a while, and then only get a Facebook page if I had complete access to it. That's the price you pay for not being trustworthy as a dumb kid. Act like an adult, and I'll treat you like an adult.

This sounds like a kid who has had everything given to her, and has the audacity to complain for having to do a basic few things in return for having absolutely everything provided for her. Of COURSE she should contribute to the running of the household. Of course she should do her own laundry. Her arms aren't broken. If she wants to vent, she should vent to her few friends, in person, but never in a public forum for the world to see. I'd have been furious at her, too.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Too bad we can't get a third perspective to triangulate things.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

His shaky rebuttals allign with the immature delivery. Go learn to be a parent. Hope she manages to come out balanced an independent in order to GTFO for her own sake.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.