User Tag List

First 234

Results 31 to 39 of 39

  1. #31
    Senior Member reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    An interesting fact is that countries with low income inequality also tend to be more racially and culturally homogeneous. Therefore, using Lark logic, we can conclude that multiculturalism is to blame for the financial crisis! I might write a book about that.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

  2. #32
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    An interesting fact is that countries with low income inequality also tend to be more racially and culturally homogeneous. Therefore, using Lark logic, we can conclude that multiculturalism is to blame for the financial crisis! I might write a book about that.
    No, that's not my logic, it is logic you're attributing to me because you dont have a decent point to make. Although carry on, I'm judging you and your ideological affiliation by your posts.

  3. #33
    Senior Member reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    No, that's not my logic, it is logic you're attributing to me because you dont have a decent point to make. Although carry on, I'm judging you and your ideological affiliation by your posts.
    Is that supposed to be, what, a threat? You know me only by my posts. What else, besides my posts, would you judge my political affiliation by? My avatar? My date of birth? My location? I suppose these may correlate with political affiliations, but they aren't good for much but a first guess.

    And what is it, exactly, that is undecent about my point? I don't believe that inequality has much, if anything, to do with the financial crisis. However, I do believe that inequality has a lot to do with racial and cultural homogeneity. There is a relatively well-established relationship between racial and cultural diversity and greater inequality, and much of the research has been done by academics who didn't want to reach these conclusions. If this nonsense about the recession being caused by inequality was true, and one could make a good case that multiculturalism tends to have increased inequality (as well as many other social ills), then it would seem that multiculturalism could be partly blamed for the recession.

    That really is, basically, your logic. You might disagree with the premise that racial and cultural diversity tends to increase inequality, but your argument still follows the same kind of reasoning--its your logic.

    Anyway, I don't have any political affiliations. Literally, I don't have any such affiliations. I have political views, but I don't affiliate with any political organisations and groups. I doubt I could find anyone who would agree with me! For example, despite what I wrote above, I like cultural diversity and favour more or less open borders. That doesn't, however, mean I should ignore the facts about the matter, both good and bad.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

  4. #34
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    I don't believe that inequality has much, if anything, to do with the financial crisis. However, I do believe that inequality has a lot to do with racial and cultural homogeneity. There is a relatively well-established relationship between racial and cultural diversity and greater inequality, and much of the research has been done by academics who didn't want to reach these conclusions.
    Why would that be a controversial conclusion to reach? If anything, that fits in with the whole idea of "structural violence" to which you vehemently objected in the other thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    If this nonsense about the recession being caused by inequality was true, and one could make a good case that multiculturalism tends to have increased inequality (as well as many other social ills), then it would seem that multiculturalism could be partly blamed for the recession.

    That really is, basically, your logic. You might disagree with the premise that racial and cultural diversity tends to increase inequality, but your argument still follows the same kind of reasoning--its your logic.
    Your simplistic analogy makes it seem as though (1) you haven't read very carefully the arguments being made in the book, and (2) you're not interested in doing so because you reject it on ideological grounds.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  5. #35
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Why would that be a controversial conclusion to reach? If anything, that fits in with the whole idea of "structural violence" to which you vehemently objected in the other thread.
    Because they have tried to account for a history of oppression in those results, and their results seem not to suggest that "structural violence" or racism/colonialism/nationalism tell the whole story. What he is trying to say is that some sociological research has led the researchers to conclude that there may be differences in abilities between cultural and even racial groups that contributes to inequality.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  6. #36
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Because they have tried to account for a history of oppression in those results, and their results seem not to suggest that "structural violence" or racism/colonialism/nationalism tell the whole story. What he is trying to say is that some sociological research has led the researchers to conclude that there may be differences in abilities between cultural and even racial groups that contributes to inequality.
    Oh, you mean racist research? And yes, it is racist. I had already discounted that crap in my mind.

    If you're talking specifically about the eugenicist Richard Lynn, well, he's the same guy that tried to suggest that higher IQs caused people to be atheists.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  7. #37
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,538

    The Power of Pseudo Science

    Pseudo science is the queen of wrong ideas.

    Fortunately British Universities are removing pseudo science from their curriculums.

    They are removing chiropractic, iridology, astrology, myers briggs type indicator, homeopathy, healing touch, alternative medicine and many others.

    A campaign was conducted by scientists showing that pseudo science has no basis in evidence whatsoever, so the British Universities have decided to remove pseudo science from their books.

    What is fascinating is that this site is based on pseudo science, based on the power of a wrong idea.

    I can smell the cognitive dissonance on your breath and taste the alienation on your tongue.

  8. #38
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,538

    Jesus, the pseudo scientist

    In 1879 perhaps the biggest ambit claim ever made for pseudo science was made by Mary Baker Eddy.

    Mary claimed that Jesus was a scientist.

    But why would Mary make such a ridiculous claim except for a very good reason.

    Mary noted that science had accrued enormous prestige and status by explaining so much about the world that superstition and belief had failed to do.

    So Mary borrowed the prestige of science and grafted it onto Jesus, quite like the way muslim scholars will tell you today that quantum mechanics was first discovered in the Koran.

    So pseudo science, whether it is christian or islamic, is simply the prestige of science grafted onto religion.

    So the power of pseudo science comes from stealing the prestige of science.

  9. #39
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,538

    Natural Law and Pseudo Science

    And it is not just one small sect called, "Christian Science", created by Mary Baker Eddy in 1876 that stole prestige from science for religion, main stream religions have also stolen prestige from science for their own religion.

    For example, Roman Catholicism with almost one thousand million members has also stolen prestige from science for themselves.

    Yes, many of the doctrines of Roman Catholicism are based on Natural Law. And Roman Catholic theologians proudly say that Natural Law is based on science, but when we look at the science, we find it is pseudo science.

Similar Threads

  1. The Power of Huh?
    By CaptainDDC in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 04:29 PM
  2. [MBTItm] The Power of Fifi
    By entropie in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-17-2009, 03:47 PM
  3. I can control the world with the power of my mind...
    By The Ü™ in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 08:07 PM
  4. The Power of an Illusion
    By persianeyes in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-24-2008, 03:19 PM
  5. The Power of "Free"
    By Totenkindly in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-05-2008, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO