User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    One world government is perfectly feasible, just not in the way you guys have imagined it.

The one world government should be created to take care of those global issues that are difficult for individual nations to address.

Nations and their governments would maintain their sovereignty, and the control of their domestic issues that they currently take care of.

The only way it could work is if the global gov't is limited in scope to addressing global issues.
    It would have to be militarily very powerful to prevent resource wars or illegal exercises in military interventionism like the Bush-Blair wars.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    ...no shit. I trust you read the OP?

Nothing wrong with your interpretation of the question, but being condescending to people for answering the actual question asked in the OP (i.e. whether world government is possible) makes you look silly.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    The social and economic differences between peoples of the world are too disparate for a single world government body to effectively govern. The needs and wants of people across the Earth vary far too much for it to work.
    This is precisely why I'm skeptical that it work. Also, there are just too many people in this world (7 billion +) physically too far apart for one government body to govern effectively.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Anew Leaf

I am all in favor of less government interference with everything.

I leave them alone they can return the favor by leaving me alone.

All of this will be moot when I finish my time machine, however.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

It would have to be militarily very powerful to prevent resource wars or illegal exercises in military interventionism like the Bush-Blair wars.
    I don't think it should try. First of all because it won't ever be powerful enough to do anything about it. And secondly, because international affairs should remain just that, international.

The only reason for it to intervene militarily in a conflict, is if it becomes a world war situation, and it needs to take sides to help end it.
    Last edited by DiscoBiscuit; 02-27-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Huh? You just contradicted yourself. A world government should intervene in world wars but shouldn't intervene in smaller conflicts because they're "international affairs" and the world government "won't ever be powerful enough to do anything about it"? If the world government is too weak and ineffectual to intervene in smaller conflicts who gives a crap what 'side' it takes in a world war situation?

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

World government = world dictature, end of the story.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

A world government should intervene in world wars but shouldn't intervene in smaller conflicts because they're "international affairs" and the world government "won't ever be powerful enough to do anything about it"?
    Nations view military power as a zero sum game. The more powerful a global government's military becomes, the less powerful their national military becomes (relative to a global power scheme). No nation powerful enough to contribute substantially to a global military force would do so past the point where the global benefits (as realized by that nation) of doing so are outweighed by the domestic cost of losing military power relative to that global force and the rest of the world generally.

Basically, it is only beneficial to contribute power to a global force as long as that contribution doesn't compromise one's international bargaining position.

No nation would want to create a global force that is more powerful than its own.

If the world government is too weak and ineffectual to intervene in smaller conflicts who gives a crap what 'side' it takes in a world war situation?
    Because, having the world gov't on your side might lead to greater support from nations that have taken no side in the conflict.

Gaining the support of the world gov't in such a situation would be akin to having the court of public opinion on your side.