User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Default Should access to the internet be a human right?

This is of course something that can be disputed so I am merely asking the question.
    Can we in this day and age afford to keep people apart. To have groups living all their lives without access to the perspectives of the rest of the world and the knowledge of the actual field they are playing and living in.

Can we afford in an age of nuclear weapons and widely advertised terrorism ( because i dont think there is necessarily any more terrorism now than 30 years ago) to limit mass media to a way to spread doctrine like it has been done by the totalitarian states in the first half of the 20th century by not giving everyone access to that wealth of feedback, knowledge and food for thoughts.

With all the wireless technologies we have access to would it be so crazy to consider the internet to be a de facto and requirement of modern life for the masses (independant of individual choices not to participate)
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

glad you made this thread because i had a couple of simmilar thoughts to this subject.

I think now that we have evolved to have internet, we have evolved as human beings as well. Anyone is now capable of being a genuis because they have a massive knowledge base at the tip of their fingers. As long as they learn how to research, they will evolve in mind rapidly.

Also, we are confined apes to a set border ruled by unfair politicians. With the internet, we have evolved into a one world community where we can ecape the bias' of our mainstream medias and we have united together beyond borders but in mind and not superficail ecconomic lines ruled by dictators in all forms of governments.

"they" say the internet is a safehaven for terrorists and every other crimanal... and with this "Annonymous" hacker thing going on, the internet can be quickly demonized when information of a government is traked online. I do not know which way we will fall, into more freedom, or less freedom. Because we can evolve either way. The government wants there to be less freedom as you can tell with countless SOPA NDAA PIPA and google and youtube and all internet ites are now changing their privacy contracts so now you know which direction we are falling. Allthough i smell a revolution cooking, 2012 is going to be a year of history
    1+1=3 OMFG

Hey dude, you're jacking my thread!
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Hey dude, you're jacking my thread!
    ouh im sorry. Merge? Should I kill it with fire? I refuse to pay a fine!
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    ouh im sorry. Merge? Should I kill it with fire? I refuse to pay a fine!
    It's okay, do what you want Frenchbear. Great minds think alike etc.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    It's okay, do what you want Frenchbear. Great minds think alike etc.
    Lets ask the merging people. They love fusing/merging threads. I suspect they feed off the excess bandwidth left over from the new equilibrium state requiring less energy to access the same information in both threads.

... In theory.

Maybe they can merge mine here? I think it's a better channel for it because it is a contemporary discussion and will get more traffic.

MBTI
    INTP

Freedom to access the internet is a so-called 'negative right', and is included in basic rights such as freedom of speech and freedom of assembly. I don't subscribe to so-called 'positive rights' in general, particularly not when the mandatory provision of such is expensive and likely to negatively impact what I regard to be higher priorities, such as maintaining strong property rights and ensuring democratic accountability.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

It should be a right in the sense that governments should not block access, but not a right in the sense that the government should buy everyone a computer to access the internet.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    It should be a right in the sense that governments should not block access, but not a right in the sense that the government should buy everyone a computer to access the internet.
    I'll echo this opinion.

One should be allowed internet access on their own time without unfair restriction. However that doesn't mean that you should be allowed to surf the internet on work, or in similar circumstances.