User Tag List

First 456

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    No, in fact in my original response(which was lost), I gave several non-Abrahamic examples like the Tao Te Ching and the Bhagavad Gītā.
    Did I miss a post or do you mean the text window got cleared?

Just above I gave two examples.
    Yes, just now, you gave two examples.

May I ask where this is going? Considering this is a discussion about burning the Quran, not my attitude towards world religions.
    I was unaware that you considered ascertaining what constitutes sacred/unassailable texts and whether they should be burned and why, as not relevant to a thread discussion entitled "Burning the Quran" concerning an international diplomatic incident involving said activity.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Did I miss a post or do you mean the text window got cleared?
    I don't know what exactly happened, I think my connection cut out so I wasn't able to post that version.

I was unaware that you considered ascertaining what constitutes sacred/unassailable texts and whether they should be burned and why, as not relevant to a thread discussion entitled "Burning the Quran" concerning an international diplomatic incident involving said activity.
    Well the issue of what actually constitutes a sacred text and how such texts are seen in various religious traditions is a very wide topic of discussion in itself, and runs the risk of derailing the thread - which deals with a particular incident involving burning of one such text and what implications it may have on international relations and/or US military operations in Afghanistan. I don't know much about this particular incident, and threw in my two cents on the basic issue of burning the Quran.

One need not be Muslim or even religious to see that burning a text held sacred by the people you're conducting military operations among is perhaps a bad idea. Kinda like how the British offending Hindu sensibilities wasn't a great idea that helped ignite the Sepoy Mutiny.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

So does burning quran result in more peace? or more violence. This furhtermore creates a duality. Is it safe to say that pissing off the enemy and burning their life in book form, a good idea when you are on a "peacekeeping mission" against the pissed off muslims? doesnt this just add to the hate they already have for us?

With that we can construct progressive dialogue. unless you want to be emotional about it of course
    1+1=3 OMFG

One need not be Muslim or even religious to see that burning a text held sacred by the people you're conducting military operations among is perhaps a bad idea.
    Agreed.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Sniffles

One need not be Muslim or even religious to see that burning a text held sacred by the people you're conducting military operations among is perhaps a bad idea. Kinda like how the British offending Hindu sensibilities wasn't a great idea that helped ignite the Sepoy Mutiny.
    Since the topic has already been brought out into the open, I will quickly add that my own thoughts on the matter go beyond mere pragmatic considerations such as these(legitimate though they are) to a higher level that stresses proper reverence for the sacred, and that desecrating the sacred is wrong in itself. This leads further into considerations of what is often termed "the Transcendent Unity of Religions". Yet to fully delve into such esoterics would only further complicate and derail the main discussion in my view.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

to a higher level that stresses proper reverence for the sacred, and that desecrating the sacred is wrong in itself.
    that is a completely baseless statement. Peguy try to base your statement in actual logic instead of quoting a guy who quoted someone else because your father said that and your emotionally attached to it. Its fine to like some things but why always frame it as if you were actually stating a verifiable fact.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INTP

It may not have been a good idea in terms of effectively running an imperialist empire (a morally problematic endeavor at best*), but in terms of moral relativism as it relates to culturally sanctioned atrocities, I'm more inclined to the views of General Napier:

“You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours.”

Edit: That said, burning the Quran is a gratuitously discourteous and imflammatory act in its own right, and certainly a stupid mistake to make under the circumstances.

*Ironically, I actually share Marx's view that British imperialism was probably in the long-term best interests of India (in spite of the brutalities, the economic supression, and eventual secession of Pakistan/Bangladesh) because they effectively gutted the power of the caste system (not that it was destroyed, just severely weakened), something that I am not sure would have happened without them, though I'm open to counter-factual arguments to the contrary.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

So because I'm not in favor of burning the Quran somehow implies I'm in favor of burning other books.
    I'm in favour of burning the twilight series.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Le sigh. US condemns Afghan bodies 'abuse' by soldiers in 2010

The US government has condemned the conduct of several American soldiers shown apparently abusing the corpses of suspected Afghan insurgents in 2010.
    Some are seen grinning next to the bodies, while others are seen holding the corpse's severed legs.

Another set of photos - from a few months later - apparently shows soldiers from the same division holding a dead man's hand with the middle finger raised.

The Los Angeles Times only published two of 18 photos.

It said the pictures had been given by a US soldier "to draw attention to the safety risk of a breakdown in leadership and discipline" among American troops.

Previous tension points in Afghanistan (worth mentioning, but not including Iraq)
    March 2012: US staff Sgt Robert Bales accused of killing 17 Afghan civilians
    February 2012: Deadly protests after US troops inadvertently burn Koran
    January 2012: Video shows US marines urinating on dead Afghans
    March 2011: Radical US pastor burns Koran, triggering deadly protests
    April 2008: Protests against cartoon of Prophet Muhammad in Danish newspapers