User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    So because I'm not in favor of burning the Quran somehow implies I'm in favor of burning other books?
    You were not clear, so I am asking you. (This is the part where you have the opportunity to share your thoughts.)
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    one could draw the parallel with Christianity in the 14th century and wonder if it has to do with the way these two religions evolved more than just the overall culture. But there s not enough data for that, just an idea to keep in mind for later consideration.

Muslim culture are very honor baased, its the idea that noone can ''back off/lose face''. it is structurally going to lead to escalation. The chivalry system was honor based as well, if you actually look at whats being said in all the king Arthur stories instead of assuming that chivalry = good what they do wouldnt éven remotely be considered as moral nowadays. It's all about guys murdering hundreds of people for a slight, kidnapping and raping women as something so natural that the stories seem to pass over it or assume that of course any woman would be delighted to have a guy kill her husband and kidnap her and other destructive macho and honor based behaviors and attitudes.

Now imagine that chivalry stories weren't western and we saw them with our western eye.
    If the world chivarly and the depicted culture didn't mean anything to do you and you looked at the actual stories without an unwilling confirmation bias you would probably see these stories as horrific and barbaric.
    I think of chivalry stories as romantic fiction, for the most part. Europe was a barbaric place then.

14th century Europe = 21st century Middle East

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    You were not clear, so I am asking you. (This is the part where you have the opportunity to share your thoughts.)
    What's not clear? I'm NOT in favor of burning the Quran, or any sacred text for that matter.

I'm not going to shed tears if somebody burns a Harry Potter book though.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

You monster !
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

What's not clear? I'm NOT in favor of burning the Quran, or any sacred text for that matter.

It's not much, but it IS more information than you posted the first time around. What constitutes sacred text for you?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

What about lord of the rings? thats a cool book and its inspired by lots of archetypes and old stories. just like the sacred books in question. What if I write a book and call it sacred? Is it okey to kill people for it?
    Should justin beiber's book (im sure there s one) be considered sacred because someone said so?
    And what exactly makes it wrong for me to use the paper I bought and burn it to make some fire if i think it is a good idea?
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Sniffles

It's not much, but it IS more information than you posted the first time around.
    How much more clearer can I possibly get on the issue? If you want me to expand on why I'm not in favor of burning the Quran, then just ask in that manner.

What constitutes sacred text for you?
    Basically a more direct revealation to man from the Absolute or such which meditates upon its nature or man's connections to such. Within certain traditions, some sacred texts are more fundamental than others, and these are commonly referred to as scriptures. The Quran I'm sure many here know is the scriptural text of Islam.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    I would agree with that. I am studying Social Anthropology at the moment and the relativism and double-standard in anthropology are just crazy. How is it okay that because someone - probably accidently - burns a book (even if it is a holy book) that as a result 6 people are killed? Imagine the reaction if a Christian would react to Bible burning by killing people. Would people come alongside him to apologise for burning his holy book or would they put this person in prison for a long long time?
    You tell me, how is it ok for a nation to worry about other nations when it doesn't even tend to itself? When is it ok for a nation to look at other nations when it doesn't even look at itself? When is it ok for a nation to speak ill of another religion when it doesn't even look at itself?

A Christian America is a double standard all in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    American anthropologist Henry Munson Jr calls this double-standard, where 'simpler societies' are somehow treated with 'a lower moral expectation' as 'the Lawrence of academia syndrome', because you know going crazy and killing people after someone burns a person's holy book is just their culture. Munson writes:

"[It] leads Western scholars to leap to the defense of any and all aspects fo the societies they study, especially third-world societies, even if this means defending conduct they would never tolerate in their own country and even if it means ignoring or criticizing intellectuals from the societies they study who condemn the very things they defend."
    Nothing as simple as starting a gang wars because someone stole a shoe.

How many homicides and suicides occur in the U.S... a "Christian" nation. What causes these homicides and suicides. Money? Food? Shelter? Material goods?

Deaths due to
    Homicides: Rank 15
    Suicides: Rank 10

As I pointed out, a savage is still a savage, even if you mask it. Doesn't matter how you spin it. Just because it is more apparent in another nation doesn't mean it isn't there in another.

How much more clearer can I possibly get on the issue?
    A lot more, I hope, for your sake.

Basically a more direct revealation to man from the Absolute or such which meditates upon its nature or man's connections to such.
    Rather than assume you only figure in Abrahamic religious texts, I'll risk your repeated implication that I'm too daft to see just how clear your position is and ask --do you only figure in Abrahamic religious texts? If so, why? If not, what other religious/spiritual/philosophical texts do you consider?

Sniffles

A lot more, I hope, for your sake.
    I see.

Rather than assume you only figure in Abrahamic religious texts, I'll risk your repeated implication that I'm too daft to see just how clear your position is and ask --do you only figure in Abrahamic religious texts?
    No, in fact in my original response(which was lost), I gave several non-Abrahamic examples like the Tao Te Ching and the Bhagavad Gītā.

If not, what other religious/spiritual/philosophical texts do you consider?
    Just above I gave two examples.

May I ask where this is going? Considering this is a discussion about burning the Quran, not my attitude towards world religions.