First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    In other news, I read in a different article that his wife is defending his position against the university.
    Obviously doesn't want him around.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    Obviously doesn't want him around.
    But who would want to turn away a man that has all of the aesthetic appeal of a young Janet Reno/elderly Jon Voight?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    But who would want to turn away a man that has all of the aesthetic appeal of a young Janet Reno/elderly Jon Voight?
    'course, they'll go all berserk for him. It's unfathomable.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Edit again: For those who don't want to read the handwritten PDF of the journals, this page has most of it typed up. http://jezebel.com/5885677/the-creep...ked-off-campus
    Wait, does this say that the warning he got might have been something that he made up and wrote in his journal to add to it, since it was in his own handwriting? That's a pretty critical detail.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    Even though the journal is seriously inappropiate and seriously creepy (which I am taking you and everybody else here's word for, as I haven't read it), that does NOT make it against the rules. If he had asked her if "anything goes" in his writing and she did not say anything, then she has to accept that. Yes, boundaries exist, but she did not lay out any boundaries for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't buy this argument. There are unwritten rules for social behavior and this guy broke at least one of them.
    It seems to me that even with the links posted, there is still a fairly significant gap in context/information. There are pages that the teacher pulled out. There was interaction he had with the teacher and other students which is not clear but seems suspect. I'm sure there is more to the story - evidence and information which was not published. It seemed on the surface more seriously inappropriate than seriously creepy but then I got to the part where he talks about sleeping naked with a gun next to him.... The guy seems a bit wacko and/or is drinking too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Back on track would be nice, we have three zillion bitch threads about Fe vs Fi already.

(unless of course someone is analyzing the guy's behavior via Fi vs Fe)
    None of this has anything to do with Fe or Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    You can't teach a class and deal with a guy like this. It totally detracts from the teacher's ability to focus their attention on the rest of the students and meet the course objectives. If you're a teacher, and especially a female teacher like @Tallulah mentions, you're thinking of all the real creeper stories you've heard from your colleagues or experienced yourself.

Examples from my colleagues include:
    *students who bring their pet pitt bull to office hours while coming to talk about a grade they didn't like
    *students who have stalked their professors
    *students who constantly bring gifts thinking they have a "special relationship," clueless to how uncomfortable they're making their teachers, and possibly threatening their employment if someone misinterprets what's going on
    *students who have used their friends/relatives to impersonate authorities and demand things from the teacher
    *students who have huge emotional breakdowns in office hours
    *students who pull a gun and commit suicide in front of their professor (did not happen in my department, but it did happen on my campus)

I'm sure Tallulah has stories too, just like EVERY female teacher. This guy falls into creeper category and I'd boot him after one warning.
    I went to college in Northern Illinois. There was an auditorium that I took several classes and tests in. Years after I graduated, this student goes up on the stage of that auditorium and starts shooting people. He killed 5 and 21 were injured. What bothers me about these kinds of stories is that it's going to spur imitators. We'll see more stories about it in the future and some of them are going to be worse than this guy. See The Werther Effect.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

I don't know about a charge of “intimidation” but from viewing the follow up link from Orangey the student was acting inappropriate and was being insubordinate. I'm big on free speech but teachers need to be able to maintain some degree of order in their classrooms. The news article in the OP should have included the alleged offending passages because after reading that I was originally on the students side now I am on the teachers side.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    Wait, does this say that the warning he got might have been something that he made up and wrote in his journal to add to it, since it was in his own handwriting? That's a pretty critical detail.
    I was wondering about that when I saw it, it seemed to be very similar to his own handwriting.

She did eventually report him; it changes whether or not he was rebelling earlier in the process, although it could conceivably rack the creep factor up yet another notch.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I have a headache. I read the thing on thefire, and what was on Jezebel.

1) Why was he writing this stuff in a class on critical thinking?
    2) Even though that warning was supposedly something he wrote himself, what prompted him to write it? Did he get a similar warning?
    3) The claim from his lawyer is that the only thing about guns the teacher based her fear on was a response to an editorial. I find that hard to believe.
    4) He seemed to have these thoughts about a lot of women, and decided that it should go into his journal (also, seemed from his journal that his wife was being frigid towards him, but still seemed highly sexualized).

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post

Joseph Corlett, a 56-year-old countertop refinisher who is pursuing a degree in writing and rhetoric at Oakland University, wrote the essay as a part of a creative writing journal assignment in a writing course.
    Joseph Corlett was apparently assigned to keep a journal for his Advanced Critical Writing class last year. He kept it in an old-school composition book, which he filled with lovely cursive.
    I don't know what a "critical writing' course is. I'm inclined to think the article writer at Jezebel had a brain fart.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post

2) Even though that warning was supposedly something he wrote himself, what prompted him to write it? Did he get a similar warning?
    3) The claim from his lawyer is that the only thing about guns the teacher based her fear on was a response to an editorial. I find that hard to believe.
    4) He seemed to have these thoughts about a lot of women, and decided that it should go into his journal (also, seemed from his journal that his wife was being frigid towards him, but still seemed highly sexualized).
    This is Ti

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639