User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    No, the school should let him do whatever he wants within the rules. One of the rules would be to follow the instructor's instructions, so he followed them. She did not make any clear guidelines.
    The university has guidelines, too.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    No, he didn't follow the teachers instructions. She told him to stop writing the sexually suggestive stuff and he did it anyway.
    Which is why I thanked lowtech redneck for giving me insight on that afterward.
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 6w7, phobic
    Tritype: 6-9-2
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/Sp
    Temperament: Pure Supine
    D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: Solid Liberal
    Religious Views: Atheist

Fi > Ne > Ti > Fe > Se > Si > Te > Ni

"Forgiveness means letting go of the past." ~ Gerald Jampolsky
    "I am justice!" ~ Light Yagami, Death Note
    "The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

Tatiana ♥

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Which is why I thanked lowtech redneck for giving me insight on that afterward.
    So then why are you still arguing this?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    You can't teach a class and deal with a guy like this. It totally detracts from the teacher's ability to focus their attention on the rest of the students and meet the course objectives. If you're a teacher, and especially a female teacher like @Tallulah mentions, you're thinking of all the real creeper stories you've heard from your colleagues or experienced yourself.

Examples from my colleagues include:
    *students who bring their pet pitt bull to office hours while coming to talk about a grade they didn't like
    *students who have stalked their professors
    *students who constantly bring gifts thinking they have a "special relationship," clueless to how uncomfortable they're making their teachers, and possibly threatening their employment if someone misinterprets what's going on
    *students who have used their friends/relatives to impersonate authorities and demand things from the teacher
    *students who have huge emotional breakdowns in office hours
    *students who pull a gun and commit suicide in front of their professor (did not happen in my department, but it did happen on my campus)

I'm sure Tallulah has stories too, just like EVERY female teacher. This guy falls into creeper category and I'd boot him after one warning.
    I'm sure most of those things are violating some rules though. Before I found out that he was continuing to write even after she told him to stop, I was under the impression that punishment was unwarranted, since I thought that he had only submitted one piece of writing and that the teacher did not specify any guidelines for what he couldn't write about.

"The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

Tatiana ♥

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    So then why are you still arguing this?
    Because I was defending why I felt the way I did before I found that out.

Tatiana ♥

Riva

*Wonders how many love letter @fidelia must have got from her students?*

@ OP - (Short reply)

The dude is a freak. His punishment fits the crime. Infact it's too lenient I would say.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

A Jezebel commenter writes about how the Virginia Tech shooter was also a creeper in a writing class just like this, and how other shooters write creepy things first:

http://jezebel.com/5885677/the-creep...ked-off-campus

"And it's never the ones who talk about it that you need to worry about. It's the ones who keep their perverse fantasies a secret until the day they snap and horror ensues." Well, the first and most horrific contradiction of this was Cho Seung-Hui, the Virginia Tech shooter who expressed all his rage in a poetry class with Nikki Giovanni -- her class dropped from 70 students (because Nikki Giovanni is an absolute genius) to 7 (because Cho's "freedom" to write whatever he wanted was terrifying his fellow students). Like Mitzelfield, Giovanni had to fight to remove this student from her class, going to the department with a similar "It's either him or me"; instead of expelling him, the department assigned Cho an individual study with a different professor, who also became terrified of him, having to come up with a secret code word with her secretary in case Cho became violent. [thelede.blogs.nytimes.com] George Sodini, the man who killed 3 women at an LA Fitness in 2009, wrote extensively on-line about his hatred for women. Anders Behring Breivik, the man who killed 69 people, mostly teenagers, at Worker's Youth League camp in Sweden in 2011, wrote an enormous manifesto on-line detailing his terrorist plans and his arsenal of weapons, along with posting multiple videos spewing sexist and racist ideas. So I would think, based on the evidence of who actually commits these heinous kinds of crimes, writing about it publicly is even more cause for alarm. I think Mitzelfield acted completely appropriately; Corlette might have the right to express himself, but he does not have the right to sexually harass his professor through his writing. She asked him to stop writing these kinds of essays and explained to them why they were inappropriate, but he continued. Sexual harrassment is not just about sex, it's about power. When you harass someone, you try to take away their power, you try to silence them. Based on these essays, Corlette seems like someone who thinks he is above the law -- and pair that with an expressed desire to carry weapons onto campus and you have a more than valid cause for alarm.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTP

Why, because we get strong feelings for something even before we know all the details? I mean, the first post I made was my immediate reaction to the OP. It's not like I was aware of the other facts yet.
    I'm sure most of those things are violating some rules though. Before I found out that he was continuing to write even after she told him to stop, I was under the impression that punishment was unwarranted, since I thought that he had only submitted one piece of writing and that the teacher did not specify any guidelines for what he couldn't write about.
    Why do you persist in arguing that the teacher overreacted, that she should have made the guidelines clearer, that the punishment is too harsh, etc., when you have not bothered to click the link to inform yourself of the particulars of the case, including the guy's actual words and the teacher's actual response to him? No offense, but an uninformed opinion is completely useless. You're relying on people to feed you facts when you've admittedly just read the OP, and then you're using a lack of knowledge as an excuse for your opinion, when it would take you less than five minutes to read the article. Just flippin' read the article, please. You'll see exactly what the guy said, and what warnings and actions were taken. Just because you might be offended by the *idea* of someone being given a greenlight to write about whatever, and then that freedom being unfairly yanked away, doesn't mean that's what happened here. If this were a hypothetical case of free speech, a general gut-feeling response to the OP might be appropriate. But not here, where there is context to be considered.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Why do you persist in arguing that the teacher overreacted, that she should have made the guidelines clearer, that the punishment is too harsh, etc., when you have not bothered to click the link to inform yourself of the particulars of the case, including the guy's actual words and the teacher's actual response to him? No offense, but an uninformed opinion is completely useless. You're relying on people to feed you facts when you've admittedly just read the OP, and then you're using a lack of knowledge as an excuse for your opinion, when it would take you less than five minutes to read the article. Just flippin' read the article, please. You'll see exactly what the guy said, and what warnings and actions were taken. Just because you might be offended by the *idea* of someone being given a greenlight to write about whatever, and then that freedom being unfairly yanked away, doesn't mean that's what happened here. If this were a hypothetical case of free speech, a general gut-feeling response to the OP might be appropriate. But not here, where there is context to be considered.
    I'm sorry. I apologize. Later on, someone got my facts straight, but I simply continued to argue for my position I had before simply because I felt it was justified. It was not necessary on my part.

Tatiana ♥

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    A Jezebel commenter writes about how the Virginia Tech shooter was also a creeper in a writing class just like this, and how other shooters write creepy things
    Exactly! That's what I was saying. and the UMich students who got arrested during class for their kidnapping snuff story about a fellow student.

Shooot, am I talking to an empty room? Why does no one quote my posts and try to start an argument with me????!!

“If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari