First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Geez. So far I've only read up to the third page, where he tries to forge some bizarre connection with his teacher that insinuates unearned intimacy and then describes how much he drinks when he writes, and I'm already a little creeped out... and I haven't even read "Hot for Teacher" yet. Student/Teacher = Patient/Doctor = Confessor/Priest? What? It's supposed to be writing assignments, but it sounds like he's doing something else with this. At best, he's socially clueless; at worst, a creep.

EDIT: Reading "Hot for Teacher," it seems to be less about the writing and more about the way he imagines she might responding to his writing. Otherwise he could write this crap in his private journal and be perfectly content. But no, it's about the interplay of him writing and her reading that seems to be his focus here.
    Yeah, I stopped at "this vulnerability excites me."
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I had a whole response written out about content and other circumstances, but then I read Orangey's post.

It did look a little suspicious, and there are a lot of middle aged pervs out there so I'm always inclined to be biased against them, anyway. I don't know if I would call this "creativity." Freedom of speech is one thing, but when someone suffers, it gets tricky. Where do you draw the line, really? He writes out an explicit rape scene intended towards the same woman? There is really not enough information here, but I'm inclined to be pretty closed minded on matters like this and would assume that they did the right thing.
    Oh, nevermind, I'm not as angry anymore.
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 6w7, phobic
    Tritype: 6-9-2
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/Sp
    Temperament: Pure Supine
    D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: Solid Liberal
    Religious Views: Atheist

Fi > Ne > Ti > Fe > Se > Si > Te > Ni

"Forgiveness means letting go of the past." ~ Gerald Jampolsky
    "I am justice!" ~ Light Yagami, Death Note
    "The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

Tatiana ♥

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    Oh, nevermind, I'm not as angry anymore.
    Well, I don't know that he did that. I'm just wondering where the "freedom of speech" "line" is drawn in circumstances like these.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Well, I don't know that he did that. I'm just wondering where the "freedom of speech" "line" is drawn in circumstances like these.
    Probably near the same spot "sexual harassment" becomes a reality.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    GONE

This isn't the first time something like this has happened and turned into violence or a potential crime. 2 UMich students years ago would write snuff pieces about kidnapping and raping women and how much violence against women turned them on and even write a snuff piece about raping their own sisters. very sick stuff. then they got fixated on a female student in their class and wrote about her and were actually caught having bought some of the items they had listed in their story about kidnapping her. I believe one guy was arrested in class and both were kicked out. and then there's the Virginia Tech story where Nikki Giovannin actually asked the future student shooter to leave class because he was making everyone uncomfortable.

I think with America's track record with violence on campuses perpetrated by young men who gave troubled clues in class, yeah, it'd not a place to play around.

I'm not surprised what @Orangey linked, When it comes to sexual harassment or hate speech I think the "mainstream" reaction in the US is to downplay it, play it off, call the "victim" an over reactor etc.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Guys obviously too stupid or autistic to be taking that course.
    Obviously

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Do people ever cite the 1st amendment in cases where it would actually be legitimate?
    Almost never .

Really, based on Orangey's context, this article (which, granted, I had no desire to read the details of) seems really biased... I mean, writing in your journal, that you're going to be handing to your teacher to read, that you're attracted to her, is a pretty poor idea. But this sounds like this guy dialed the creepiness factor up to 11, was warned multiple times to stop, and still continued to do it. Yeah -- punishment warranted, in that case. And yet the article spins it into some sort of "man expresses admiration for teacher, expelled and banned from campus" deal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Dude, this article is extremely suspect. Why does it seem like a hit piece on the professor?

Because this link to his many creepy journal passages shows that she warned him to stop writing inappropriate shit about her and other female professors, and he simply refused and said "fuck that." The guy is clearly a creep, and this is a disciplinary problem. It has fuck all to do with freedom of speech.
    Yeah, I kind of suspected something was being left out. He sounds like someone who doesn't understand social boundaries.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP

In the middle of reading the PDF now. This is BEYOND inappropriate and seriously creepy. This is not a garden-variety free speech issue.

I think he knew he wanted to cross boundaries because he finds it exciting and wants to have familiarity and "a little secret" with her, and so he repeatedly asked if anything would be censored because he intended to cross a line, and she, assuming that most human beings have common sense, did not see this coming. I think he finds the idea of talking about sex and her and knowing she'd read it titillating. She handled it exactly right. She tore out the pages and warned him, and he persisted.

Edit: "She is hot, and not just from baking the bun in her oven." Eww, eww, eww.

Edit again: For those who don't want to read the handwritten PDF of the journals, this page has most of it typed up. http://jezebel.com/5885677/the-creep...ked-off-campus

Lots of comments below the jezebel article that are insisting punishment was too harsh, he has a right to free speech, blahblahblah. I would say none of those people have been a teacher, and specifically a female teacher. I would feel like this guy was a threat if he were in my class.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Well, many schools do take preventative action against students writing pieces that suggest a desire or create worry over specific physical violence against peers or teachers. If the material displayed in this man's work(s) suggest potential sexual aggression or harassment (or, in fact, qualify as harassment themselves) then I don't see any reason why punitive actions are uncalled for.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?