User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Well, at the very least, I think we can all agree that anyone who quotes Van Halen needs a life readjustment.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Writing things of the nature that the student did about his professor crossed the line. It is clearly non-academic and belongs for a personal diary, not to be divulged in a journal for academic purposes. Best kept in one's private life rather than titillating it to the teacher. Rather inappropriate I think, and disciplinary action must be taken.

Keep journal entries for class solely as an academic process... connecting concepts learned in class to everyday life... not one's personal feelings about a teacher.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    ISTx

Need more details on how explicit and distasteful his essay was.

I mean if this is it (which I doubt it was), this should be no news story:
    In his essay, which he said was inspired by the 1984 Van Halen hit "Hot for Teacher," he wrote about his first impressions of his professor, Pamela Mitzelfeld, describing her as "tall, blonde, stacked, smart, articulate."
    Regardless, not a very bright idea to write sexually suggestive remarks about a teacher.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I was really into one of my professor. I cannot fathom writing such a thing. I'm sure she would not have been pleased at all. I don't think I would have been suspended, though, I think I would have gotten a stern talking to and our relationship would have been super awkward for the rest of the semester. Never the less, I would not consider a greater reaction out of line. It should be obvious that you don't say shit like that to your professor.

Given the context provided by Orangey, I'd expect no less then what happened there.

Do people ever cite the 1st amendment in cases where it would actually be legitimate?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I had a whole response written out about content and other circumstances, but then I read Orangey's post.

It did look a little suspicious, and there are a lot of middle aged pervs out there so I'm always inclined to be biased against them, anyway. I don't know if I would call this "creativity." Freedom of speech is one thing, but when someone suffers, it gets tricky. Where do you draw the line, really? He writes out an explicit rape scene intended towards the same woman? There is really not enough information here, but I'm inclined to be pretty closed minded on matters like this and would assume that they did the right thing.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

The guy sounds like a right creep, especially as he is married. That said, his punishment seems way over the top: suspending him for three semesters, banning him from campus, and requiring him to undertake counselling before returning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Hmm... I kind of wish they would suspend all creeps from the entire world. Put them on an Island by themselves where they can creep on each other and "figure it out" on their own. The CDC should start talking about these things.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

This guy was in his 50s and was warned multiple times. He's not some thoughtless 19yo.

Teachers have rights, too. If they don't want to read essays on a certain topic, and that topic isn't relevant to the course objectives [a key point here, obviously], then the teacher can ban the topic. Some writing profs ban marijuana legalization as a topic not because they actually care about the policy, but because after a few years you've seen 50 identical papers and they're all elementary with minimal research and the topic detracts from the course goals.

I wouldn't want creeper students writing like that in my classroom. I'd give them one warning and then boot them if they did it again.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Dude, this article is extremely suspect. Why does it seem like a hit piece on the professor?

Because this link to his many creepy journal passages shows that she warned him to stop writing inappropriate shit about her and other female professors, and he simply refused and said "fuck that." The guy is clearly a creep, and this is a disciplinary problem. It has fuck all to do with freedom of speech.
    Geez. So far I've only read up to the third page, where he tries to forge some bizarre connection with his teacher that insinuates unearned intimacy and then describes how much he drinks when he writes, and I'm already a little creeped out... and I haven't even read "Hot for Teacher" yet. Student/Teacher = Patient/Doctor = Confessor/Priest? What? It's supposed to be writing assignments, but it sounds like he's doing something else with this. At best, he's socially clueless; at worst, a creep.

EDIT: Reading "Hot for Teacher," it seems to be less about the writing and more about the way he imagines she might responding to his writing. Otherwise he could write this crap in his private journal and be perfectly content. But no, it's about the interplay of him writing and her reading that seems to be his focus here.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Not take any offence at the matter and appreciate the creativity. Assist in getting the student un-suspended.

Complain about the matter, and find some sort of method to get back into school; any method.

Not suspend the student. Matters like this don't require such severe punishment.
    I concur. Matters like these enrage my Fi all to hell.
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 6w7, phobic
    Tritype: 6-9-2
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/Sp
    Temperament: Pure Supine
    D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: Solid Liberal
    Religious Views: Atheist

Fi > Ne > Ti > Fe > Se > Si > Te > Ni

"Forgiveness means letting go of the past." ~ Gerald Jampolsky
    "I am justice!" ~ Light Yagami, Death Note
    "The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

Tatiana ♥