User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    INTPThe majority of us are NOT proud of this! One of my aunts in Georgia was doing this with my baby cousin till we talked her out of it by the time Abby was 7. #thankgoodness. If she tries it again, my fury will be godlike in scope. >:O
    I know that most think this is weird
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I'm torn, only because the child is so young, impressionable and has no say in these matters. But this is no different than when society and parents push a great deal of academics or sports on children. Parents are preoccupied with their children being "successful", but who gets to define what successful is?

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

I agree that it is a slippery slope of comparison into other activities and hobbies.

However, in a few different episodes I've noticed blatant endangerment and neglect. I saw an episode where the mom was trying to get her 3 year olds eyebrows waxed and the child was sitting in a chair crying. She told the beautician that the child had a previous "bad experience" where the wax was too hot and it burned part of her eyelids off! NO WONDER the kid didn't wan't it done again! I see that as a form of torture, physical the first time and both psychological and physical the next. Many of these kids do not cultivate any other aspect because ALL their time is put towards image and competition. They don't get play time, academic learning, many of them don't sleep regularly, and often the moms shove whatever junk food they can down their throats to get them to cooperate.

To inundate such a shallow measure of self-worth on these impressionable, innocent children is absolutely disguisting to me. The long term psychological affects could be very bad, for what does one do when they other aspects of their personality are underdeveloped because so much time was wasted on image? And what happens when ones core sense of value begins to sag and fade as they age?

It's not just a moral judgement here, though. I think that if enough of these cases were looked into you'd find clear examples of child endangerment and neglect. I don't understand why (beyond a few social network groups) there are not official agencies challenging it. Though I suppose that would be a difficult task, holding not only the moms accountable, but the producers and such.

*Waits for next seasons reality series*

"Child Sweat Shops in Bangladesh!" and "Roscoe's Life in the Pit Bull Fighting Ring"
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    But this is no different than when society and parents push a great deal of academics or sports on children.
    I would argue that it is quite a bit different in that sports and academics are almost universally agreed to be positive things in general, whereas a fixation on superficial appearance could be positive in some aspects but is far more likely to be negative. The effect on the attitude of the children is also horrible.

Not to say that there aren't some things in common between the scenarios, or that pushing kids excessively is a good thing, but there is definitely a huge difference between pushing your kids to succeed in looking "pretty" for judges vs. pushing your kids to succeed in something like sports or academics.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I REALLY do wish somebody would be able to challenge these shows in a court setting somehow, and maybe get these women some counseling so that perhaps FINALLY these kids can be kids. I know it's not that easy, but somebody must try.
    Seriously! These shows should be called "Ultra-Divafy Your Daughter."
    Save Thundercats 2011 petition. Because we do what we can. HO!!!:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/warn...another-season

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    This ungulate poisons her daughter for a competitive edge. She will grow from a pretty little girl into a fat, disturbed "couponer" (that is NOT a job, BTW) just like mommy. I LOL'ed several times, but I also have a 7-year-old niece, and this is heartbreaking.

[YOUTUBE=ABzMAuI1vj0]Toddlers and Tiaras - Go-Go Juice[/YOUTUBE]
    Apparently, this little girl's family has earned their own tv show:

Honey Boo Boo Child, spinoff

The 10 Most Appalling ‘Honey Boo Boo Child’ Moments

Read, watch, and weep for America's future
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFJ

I think I threw up a little.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I dislike beauty pageants and I think a lot of these parents are douches but I have to wonder how many child actor's lives wouldn't seem very different from what they show on TV during this show. Especially if it was edited to just include the juicy parts or the idiotic things the young actor's parents say.

I did a short co-op at Goodyear and when they were announcing their new rain tires there was a big "party" with the people from my goodyear building and the person running it showed the TV ad. He then commented that the kid might look nice but she was a holy terror before and after shoots.

Also reality tv shows rarely are fair to the people in them.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    I have seen an documentary about the subject, all i can say is only in america..
    Dude, don't get European elitist. It's just another form ignorance, like toddler pageants.

As for the rest of this: WHO dresses their little girl up like a hooker?! I thought I had seen some pretty bad moves on the part of pageant parents, never mind the weird sexual icky vibe it overlays on tiny girls, but a HOOKER?! Are you kidding me?? No ma'am!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    As for the rest of this: WHO dresses their little girl up like a hooker?! I thought I had seen some pretty bad moves on the part of pageant parents, never mind the weird sexual icky vibe it overlays on tiny girls, but a HOOKER?! Are you kidding me?? No ma'am!
    Yeah I don't get how people can be all up in other people's business and be all about what consenting adults do and what kind of relationships are moral yet this stuff gets televised.

People who mess with children are the worst to me. I think they are the only ones I truly feel violent against. I have a special kind of hell reserved for those who harm or corrupt children.