User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Libertarians and addiction

Whisky Old & Women Young Array Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    6w7 sx/sp

If peoples get addicted to something, and as long as they are adults, it's their personal responsability, and no one has to be forced to pay for their problems.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

The Memes Justify the End Array EcK's Avatar
    ILE None

Okey. Basically libertarianism isn't just 'individuals do this and that'.
    The whole idea is that we are social animals, we create groups and decide more or less consciously to follow specific rule sets in our daily lives (dress in given ways, use of specific sub languages, following group relative etiquette..). The difference with governments is that they set a number of 'de facto' assets and obligations the individuals and groups will be subjected to. So a libertarian 'society' would in fact be constituted truly voluntary and multiple overarching group appartenances each having their own consensus of rules and regulations.

It is the nature of the beast that while variation is key to success there is also always a socio-economico-cultural selection of 'desired' traits and group memberships (ex: people will tend to prefer being part of the 'cool kids' than the 'losers' in the grand scheme of things even though each group contains its own self esteem boosting features so promote and justify its own membership)

From this perspective libertarianism if done right could be more adaptive than classic government in dealing with societal problems (in the neutral sense of problems) such as drug use and control. This is because more 'successful' combinations of group memberships will also structurally 'evolve' to exclude social ladder challenging behaviors and attitudes (note that i am not saying that drugs are good or bad, just that the system would evolve toward promoting 'productive' traits rather than 'destructive habits' in high-social status and socio culturally and economically influencial people
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    This is funny considering that most of the dealers I know of are against drug legalization. The prices would lower so much that it would destroy their business, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    My view is that you need to meet actual libertarians in real life, because you have the most bizarre conceptions of what libertarians are and what we believe of anyone I have ever come across.
    Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    You what!? I have ... no ... words to ... gah!

Whatever. You're exactly right. I'm just a small time cocaine dealer and only support drug legalisation because I want to compete with multinational corporations.

I'm now going to smash my head against a brick wall to take away the pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    This is not surprising. You can't seem to grasp the concept that there are lots of people who want drugs legalized who aren't dealers or users.
    I think I must have missed you guys at the last Libertarian Sodomy Cocaine Assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I think I must have missed you guys at the last Libertarian Sodomy Cocaine Assembly.
    To be fair to Lark, that Assembly sounds GREAT to me.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

A window to the soul

Sodomy is in the Republican Assembly down the hall. We just have cocaine here.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.