User Tag List

Thread: Alone together

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Alone together

With the pace of change in technics do we now expect more of technology and less of one another?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    With the pace of change in technics do we now expect more of technology and less of one another?
    Yes, I think we do; the pattern is the same for any circumstance that emphasizes quantity of social interaction over quality of social interaction and an abundance of easily available and low investment forms of entertainment (for example, dense urbanization versus small towns)-there is increased social atomization as a result.

On the other hand, I've noticed that the Millenials of my aquaintence tend to utilize technology to constantly keep up with the minute details of their friend's lives, so the big picture is probably not as simple as that; technology might now be reversing the atomization trends it previously facilitated.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Do you mean technology? 'Technics' is a brand of turntable...lol

No. People are isolating themselves because the traditional family structure has been completely dissolved, as a function of economics mostly. There is no one to rely on anymore. technology is just a place holder in this equation, a distraction from pain, a diversion from truth.
    The 'pace of change' has nearly nothing to do with this, except that the diversions are constantly renewed, so the sleep seems permanent.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    No. People are isolating themselves because the traditional family structure has been completely dissolved, as a function of economics mostly..
    Do you mean higher living standards, productive efficiency, and opportunity? That makes sense, as a.) we don't have to rely on a large extended family for survival and b.) that opportunity comes at the price of a frequent need to travel and therefore less communal stability. As an anecdotal example, the generation before that of my father lived in a region characterized by structural poverty; most of his generation took advantage of economic opportunities that did not exist in their parents' generation, and the extended family scattered to the far winds as a result. The annual family reunion slowly degraded over the years from a huge affair of about 100 people who knew each other well, to lightly attended affairs populated mostly by strangers dragged to the event by the surviving elders.

I do think non-familial community has become more atomized in part on account of entertainment technology, though.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I do think non-familial community has become more atomized in part on account of entertainment technology, though.
    Explain?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Explain?
    In earlier eras, people did not have access to things like internet, video games, television, or even (to a lesser extent, at least in fairly recent history) cheap books; they had to make greater investments in time and effort to create their own entertainment, usually involving other people.

Frankly, I would have hated it, but I do think modern entertainment opportunities enables introverts in particular to indulge our preferences to an unhealthy degree.