User Tag List

First 2345 Last

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Unwise. There will always be some way to trick the drone into using it's ethical "brain" to cease-fire.
    This is a danger, but there have and always will be ways to hack or reverse engineer drones in a variety of ways. There is always a danger for any of our technologies to be used against us.

As a ~15-year-old discipline, machine ethics is in its infancy. This is why I say that it will be a great many years before we can even think about planting proper ethical reasoning into drones--there are many complicated issues to tackle before it's viable, especially because of the inherent philosophical concerns (which we've been trying to iron out since, oh, we started reasoning as a species at all).

Also: I speak primarily of automated drones. One could very well make the argument that even simple models have the potential to make better judgments than humans (see the rest of Dawes's research for a great stab at that line of thinking).

Even still, will humans deem it ethical for drones to make ethical decisions on their own? Quite probably not; it just seems viscerally wrong to us. This whole automated ethical reasoning I'm talking about may never gain traction--and maybe we'll decide that it shouldn't.

So, maybe we'll decide that a human should be in the loop, controlling a drone or otherwise. Ornstein has a great quote about the role of the human subject in such matters:
    if the only role of a human participant is to watch a meter and push a button when the needle goes from green to red, then the participation is merely symbolic. Under such circumstances reflection and judgment are effectively eliminated, and these are precisely the qualities that constitute the crucially important human contribution.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

And that wasn't Asimov's point, eventually? Thus the Zeroth Law came about, "A robot may not harm a human being, unless he finds a way to prove that ultimately the harm done would benefit humanity in general."
    And we can guarantee this law will be followed how?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    And we can guarantee this law will be followed how?
    Any robot can unknowingly violate one of its own laws, as for instance when a civilian is dressed as an enemy soldier and is then killed.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Hellfire and Redemption

When I was a little boy, I was threatened with hellfire by Redemptorist priests.

And today we fire hellfire missles at muslims in their own country.

So I can't help feeling there is a redemptive element in hellfire missles.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    When I was a little boy, I was threatened with hellfire by Redemptorist priests.

And today we fire hellfire missles at muslims in their own country.

So I can't help feeling there is a redemptive element in hellfire missles.
    Who fired the first shot, they or us?

Wild Justice

Who fired the first shot, they or us?
    How strange it is though to give a missle a religious name.

But perhaps not so strange as the 9/11 wars in Iraq and Afganistan are wars of revenge.

And revenge is a kind of wild justice, the justice of the Old Testament, the justice of hellfire, the kind of justice we are having when we are not having any justice.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    How strange it is though to give a missle a religious name.

But perhaps not so strange as the 9/11 wars in Iraq and Afganistan are wars of revenge.

And revenge is a kind of wild justice, the justice of the Old Testament, the justice of hellfire, the kind of justice we are having when we are not having any justice.
    Prevention is the best medicine.

MBTI
    ENTP

http://www.thebureauinvestigates.com...-and-funerals/

Has this been posted yet?

The CIA’s drone campaign in Pakistan has killed dozens of civilians who had gone to help rescue victims or were attending funerals, an investigation by the Bureau for the Sunday Times has revealed.

The findings are published just days after President Obama claimed that the drone campaign in Pakistan was a ‘targeted, focused effort’ that ‘has not caused a huge number of civilian casualties.’
    HOPE CHANGE HOPE CHANGE
    +10% Crit Chance

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Critical Hit View Post
    That's based on interviews with America-hating Pakis. You know, the friends of Bob, Tom, LeRon, and the rest mentioned in the OP.

Let's hope, however, that these civvies will stop carrying weapons thus making them appear to be soldiers.

I'm wondering if they recruit personnel who are gamers to pilot the drones? Seems like a logical fit. As far as the drones go, I'd personally like to see all of that technological expertise and money go to something much more pro evolutionary or even humanitarian. That war shit has been played out, IMHO.