User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Ruth Bader Ginsburg publically disses US Constitution before Int. Audience

http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/3295.htm

Edit: If you're impatiant, skip to the 2:35.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/3295.htm

Edit: If you're impatiant, skip to the 2:35.
    She didn't disrespect the U.S. Constitution. She just stated that it was old, and that there are more recent constitutions to refer to. Our own Constitution has had 27 amendments.

Basing a constitution on fundamental human rights and independent judiciary seemed to be her key message. She also stated that no constitution would do any good unless the people yearned for it.

Skipping to 2:35 cuts out a large portion of the 3:45 clip. Are we that impatient?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    She didn't disrespect the U.S. Constitution. She just stated that it was old, and that there are more recent constitutions to refer to. Our own Constitution has had 27 amendments.

Basing a constitution on fundamental human rights and independent judiciary seemed to be her key message. She also stated that no constitution would do any good unless the people yearned for it.

Skipping to 2:35 cuts out a large portion of the 3:45 clip. Are we that impatient?
    +1

Not saying the US has the best constitution is not the same as "dissing" the US constitution. It's annoying that some Americans find the idea that the US doesn't have the best everything insulting.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

figsfiggyfigs

Are we watching the same clip? Because from what I've seen, she didn't disrespect the USA constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Not saying the US has the best constitution is not the same as "dissing" the US constitution. It's annoying that some Americans find the idea that the US doesn't have the best everything insulting.
    Yup.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    The implication is clearly that the American Constitution is obsolete and inferior to most other Constitutions (such as that of South Africa and Canada, which incidentally have far less protections in the realm of free speech). Also, the Constitutional Amendments are an equal part of the Constitution as it now exists, the Constitution that Ginsburg is supposed to uphold-she is not sworn to 'defend and support' a Constitution without Amendments.

MBTI
    INTP

The Constitution is not exactly the same as school test scores and overall living standards; and again, the implication is clearly that the American Constition is inferior to most modern (post 1940) democratic Constitutions (and specifically to that of Canada and South Africa)-that's a diss,which I find more than a little troubling in a Supreme Court Justice.

Edit: I also remember finding most of the ways in which the mentioned Constitutions differed from the U.S. Constitution (I majored in IR and Comparative, so I read the Constitutions of other countries quite often for both work and pleasure) to be highly problematic....such as with free speech.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

The Constitution is not exactly the same as school test scores and overall living standards; and again, the implication is clearly that the American Constition is inferior to most modern (post 1940) democratic Constitutions (and specifically to that of Canada and South Africa)-that's a diss,which I find more than a little troubling in a Supreme Court Justice.

Edit: I also remember finding most of the ways in which the mentioned Constitutions differed from the U.S. Constitution (I majored in IR and Comparative, so I read the Constitutions of other countries quite often for both work and pleasure) to be highly problematic....such as with free speech.
    Yeah, we're just not going to agree on this. Me telling you you're not the best at everything is not the same as me insulting you.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP

Yeah, we're just not going to agree on this. Me telling you you're not the best at everything is not the same as me insulting you.
    No, but clearly implying that I'm inherently worse than most of my peers (i.e. Canada, South Africa, EU member-states, and just about any liberal democracy with a Constitution mostly written after 1940) can most reasonably be construed as an insult...and I do kinda expect greater appreciation for the Constitution than that from a Supreme Court Justice.

I wouldn't have cared if she simply said the structural model of the American government is inappropriate in the Egyptian context*, or that Egypt should look to more than just the United States for inspiration, but she went much further than that.

Of course, it dosn't matter either way, because its the Islamists who will be writing the Constitution.

*Which it is; In light of the popularity of Islamist parties I would have recommended the Mexican Constitution as a starting point, as its designed to limit the number of seats any single party can win to 60% (i.e. less that what's needed to amend their Constitution).

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

No, but clearly implying that I'm inherently worse than most of my peers (i.e. Canada, South Africa, EU member-states, and just about any liberal democracy with a Constitution mostly written after 1940) can most reasonably be construed as an insult...and I do kinda expect greater appreciation for the Constitution than that from a Supreme Court Justice.
    If you're not the best, that means you're inferior to someone else, by definition. /facepalm

Who says she doesn't appreciate the Constitution? She sure didn't in that clip. You're projecting lots of stuff into her words that she didn't actually say.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I wouldn't have cared if she simply said the structural model of the American government is inappropriate in the Egyptian context*, or that Egypt should look to more than just the United States for inspiration, but she went much further than that.
    What the hell? That IS basically what she said.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness