User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    If prejudice is fear-based it would be just as dangerous to eradicate it as it would be to encourage it, so that should not be the goal. Cultures that don't distinguish themselves from 'other' --die. We're programmed to survive. The goal should be education and broader context (ie exposure) to different worldviews. There is such a thing as informed prejudice. Social as well as classroom learning should happen. Make rapport with a foreign culture part of the daily classroom experience. Teleconference with a sister school in Greece or something. We should know by now most things can't be learned in a book.
    Right, and exposure to different worldviews doesn't necessarily mean you become the other. At best, it means you understand differences and why they're there.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

If prejudice is fear-based it would be just as dangerous to eradicate it as it would be to encourage it, so that should not be the goal. Cultures that don't distinguish themselves from 'other' --die. We're programmed to survive.
    But does that hold in suburban, middle-class, modern what-have-you American environments? It may be an outmoded behavioral pattern. For example, I know the survival mentality is what gets beaten into a lot of people from rougher backgrounds, & it often leaves them even more provincial & unable to move into larger urban society. They can't fit in anywhere other than the rough places they came from because the prejudicial hostility is too reflexive. or something..
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

Humans without fear are humans without a future. Not all fears are created equal.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Humans without fear are humans without a future.
    That's an unusual thing to say & I'll have to think about it.

But I distinguish two main types of fear, gut fear & anxiety fear. Gut fear is, an animal's charging me, someone pulled a gun on me, someone kidnapped my child. Or, on a milder level, maybe someone you love has an illness. Anxiety fear I think is due to stuff in your head, weird things festering in there, weird ideas people can give you or you can give you. The saying, "put the fear in em" refers to this. Prejudice falls into this category for me, as does a lot of anxiety & worrying, mental disorder, etc. I generally think of that kind of fear as only a hindrance & have always tried to ignore it, but you & Gingko have a point, maybe a certain amount is wise.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

So, racists and homophobes are stupid. That's news.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

A better study would have been to examine the relationship between fear/anxiety/etc and (accurate) knowledge.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    A better study would have been to examine the relationship between fear/anxiety/etc and (accurate) knowledge.
    This!
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

I want to see a study that shows the correlation between high IQs, left wing ideology, and the "soft" bigotry of lowered expectations.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

low iq ?

Ok they lost thats a point
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ESFJ

Social "conservatism" and economic "liberalism" (as North America understands those terms; i.e., authoritarian belief in the necessity of state power to control social and economic behavior) do correlate with low IQ and lack of familiarity with issues.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"