User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you happy with the removal of habeas corpus?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course! We must be extra careful in times of war.

0 0%
  • Of course not! Evidence connecting the accused to the crime is necessary.

18 94.74%
  • It doesn't matter to me, I'm not a terrorist.

1 5.26%
12 Last

MBTI
    intp

Default Do you think the removal of habeas corpus was a good idea?

from Maher Arar's website

Maher's Story in Brief
    Maher Arar is a 34-year-old wireless technology consultant. He was born in Syria and came to Canada with his family at the age of 17. He became a Canadian citizen in 1991. On Sept. 26, 2002, while in transit in New York’s JFK airport when returning home from a vacation, Arar was detained by US officials and interrogated about alleged links to al-Qaeda. Twelve days later, he was chained, shackled and flown to Syria, where he was held in a tiny “grave-like” cell for ten months and ten days before he was moved to a better cell in a different prison. In Syria, he was beaten, tortured and forced to make a false confession.

During his imprisonment, Arar's wife, Monia Mazigh, campaigned relentlessly on his behalf until he was returned to Canada in October 2003. On Jan. 28, 2004, under pressure from Canadian human rights organizations and a growing number of citizens, the Government of Canada announced a Commission of Inquiry into the Actions of Canadian Officials in Relation to Maher Arar.

Here is the Commissioner's report. It's long, but it has a table of contents http://www.ararcommission.ca/eng/AR_English.pdf

On September 18, 2006, the Commissioner of the Inquiry, Justice Dennis O'Connor, cleared Arar of all terrorism allegations, stating he was "able to say categorically that there is no evidence to indicate that Mr. Arar has committed any offence or that his activities constitute a threat to the security of Canada."
    Last edited by Annuit Coeptis; 04-24-2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: I deleted some text accidentally :)
    read "The Creature From Jekyll Island" by G. Edward Griffin to learn how the Federal Reserve is robbing Americans blind and destroying this nation and others.

MBTI
    OMNi

American citizens still have habeas corpus, contrary to what the title of this thread seems to suggest. The "removal" of such only affects foreigners. I personally don't see any problem with giving foreigners the power of habeas corpus, but as long as they know beforehand that they aren't guaranteed that right here, then they come here at their own risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    intp

We're snatching people up, though, from other countries- IN other countries- and BRINGING THEM to Guantanamo Bay to be tortured, and arguing that it is within our right to do so.

Edit: We are paying the northern alliance $5000 a head to bring us people connected with Al Quaeda- and we do not require evidence to lock them up. Also note that for third world countries, $5000 a head is a pretty big incentive. So, without habeas corpus, what is to keep us from snatching up and torturing entirely too many innocent people?
    read "The Creature From Jekyll Island" by G. Edward Griffin to learn how the Federal Reserve is robbing Americans blind and destroying this nation and others.

MBTI
    INFJ

we need to have it in place

the story is enraging

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Annuit Coeptis View Post
    We're snatching people up, though, from other countries- IN other countries- and BRINGING THEM to Guantanamo Bay to be tortured, and arguing that it is within our right to do so.

Edit: We are paying the northern alliance $5000 a head to bring us people connected with Al Quaeda- and we do not require evidence to lock them up. Also note that for third world countries, $5000 a head is a pretty big incentive. So, without habeas corpus, what is to keep us from snatching up and torturing entirely too many innocent people?
    Quite a bit of speculation there based on a few isolated stories.

Honestly, if you are concerned with how the US conducts itself overseas then go do something about it. Campaign or write letters. It seems kindof silly to me to sit on the internet, read about all these "alleged" actions, and then take no action yourself aside form spreading it on the internet like it is fact without any evidence to support the speculations aside from the isolated stories.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Quite a bit of speculation there based on a few isolated stories.

Honestly, if you are concerned with how the US conducts itself overseas then go do something about it. Campaign or write letters. It seems kindof silly to me to sit on the internet, read about all these "alleged" actions, and then take no action yourself aside form spreading it on the internet like it is fact without any evidence to support the speculations aside from the isolated stories.
    hold on there, kiddo!

1)You have no way of knowing what action I am taking, so you don't really have grounds for accusing me of "taking no action," right?

2)There is literally nothing I can do to change how the U.S. conducts itself overseas. Raising awareness though, is a start.

3)(Most importantly) None of the information that I've been posting has been coming from websites! Just because I post a link to a website that supports my position does not mean that that is the source that I acquired the information from! (I can't very well link you to a BOOK, can I?)
    Edit: Though I should be more careful in checking out the links I post- I normally don't like to post links at all for that reason, (I fucked it up by linking to some inaccurate website in a previous thread)

But, the book where I got those "alleged actions" about paying the Northern Alliance from is "The End of America" by Naomi Wolf, thanks for asking! (Is it really a secret that we finance factions we are in fundamental disagreement with to do our bidding if it's convenient?)

And no, I'm not claiming that just because information is bound and published that it isn't biased or even flat-out incorrect- I'm only claiming that you may have overstepped your boundaries with that last post, if only because you do not know how I get my information. (Except now, you do.)

Sorry if this post sounded like I was yelling...

Edit: There is a whole lot of documented information about Guantanamo Bay, it's a very important subject to read about IMO.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Annuit Coeptis View Post
    I'm only claiming that you may have overstepped your boundaries with that last post, if only because you do not know how I get my information.
    Just so you know, legitimate researchers actually cite where they get their information. They do so, so that others can critique the sources of that information and determine whether it is legitimate or even credible. Coming onto a forum and making claims like, "the federal reserve is owned by private corporations," and "Stop the NAU!" without citing appropriate and credible sources is not an intelligent way to "raise awareness". It is the kind of mentality that allows hoaxes, selective knowledge, and misperceptions to be spread. Critical thinking requires that people remain skeptical, know where their information is coming from, know the bias by which it was written, question the claims by seeking alternative sources, and filter out the propaganda.

So I don't think I have "overstepped" any "boundaries" by questioning your sources, especially when you provide less than credible ones or fail to provide any at all.

MBTI
    INXP

American citizens still have habeas corpus, contrary to what the title of this thread seems to suggest. The "removal" of such only affects foreigners. I personally don't see any problem with giving foreigners the power of habeas corpus, but as long as they know beforehand that they aren't guaranteed that right here, then they come here at their own risk.
    Wow, do you really think that if I visit you from the UK, or a Canadian does, that we shouldn't be entitled to the same rights on your soil?

Wow.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Wow, do you really think that if I visit you from the UK, or a Canadian does, that we shouldn't be entitled to the same rights on your soil?

Wow.
    Did you read what I posted?

I said I don't see any problem with you having the same rights as us. However, the current laws don't provide you with those rights and so I think foreigners should know they travel here at their own risk.

MBTI
    INXP

Did you read what I posted?

I said I don't see any problem with you having the same rights as us. However, the current laws don't provide you with those rights and so I think foreigners should know they travel here at their own risk.
    Ah, I read into your tone that you were effectively saying "and if foreigners travel here that's ok as long as you tell them there is a risk to them". Looks I am wrong and you are indeed pretty horrified you're country might deny rights that one might call... civilised.. then I am happy to apologise! My bad!