User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you happy with the Federal Reserve system?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love the Fed!

1 16.67%
  • We shouldn't have to pay the Fed!

1 16.67%
  • I don't really know how it works, but if it's worked for this long, it can't be that bad.

1 16.67%
  • I don't really know how it works, but I find the current devaluation of the dollar troubling.

2 33.33%
  • The Fed? I don't think this really pertains to me.

1 16.67%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Annuit Coeptis View Post
    Well, I suppose you're right also about the selective knowledge.

Are you clear on how the Fed came into being?
    Yes. And I find a lot of the conspiracy theorist's claims about the Fed's origin has a lot of selective knowledge inherent in them as well.

It does wonders to do a little research outside of conspiracy sites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    intp

"Our place in the world"

Is to support dictators and other corrupt governments so long as it is within our best interest financially. I don't think we save the day unless we have to. (Darfur, anyone?)
    read "The Creature From Jekyll Island" by G. Edward Griffin to learn how the Federal Reserve is robbing Americans blind and destroying this nation and others.

MBTI
    OMNi

Is to support dictators and other corrupt governments so long as it is within our best interest financially.
    I'm not sure what that has to do with the Federal Reserve, but I understand your sentiments. That is more or less correct, but it isn't quite that simple.

MBTI
    intp

that video isn't about the gold standard. I'm just really disorganized :-p
    read "The Creature From Jekyll Island" by G. Edward Griffin to learn how the Federal Reserve is robbing Americans blind and destroying this nation and others.

MBTI
    intp

The book "The federal reserve and the impact on trade and foreign economies" is NOT a conspiracy website. The system we have in place will crush us beneath it, conspiracy or no. I can see the jobs being lost with my own eyes, outside of conspiracy websites. We're on a downward slope that I don't think anything but a change in policy will fix. Anyone want to talk about habeas corpus?

Edit: a bookstore near my home teaches how to legally avoid paying the federal income tax.
    Last edited by Annuit Coeptis; 04-24-2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: edit:

MBTI
    OMNi

The book "The federal reserve and the impact on trade and foreign economies" is NOT a conspiracy website. The system we have in place will crush us beneath it, conspiracy or no. I can see the jobs being lost with my own eyes, outside of conspiracy websites. We're on a downward slope that I don't think anything but a change in policy will fix. Anyone want to talk about habeas corpus?
    I'm sure this downward slope couldn't have anything to do with the mortgage crisis and the credit card debt crisis.

It's funny, I can't seem to find your book on either Barnes and Noble or Amazon.

I believe that a good share of the conspiracy theories are actually perpetrated by Libertarian groups whose agenda it is to scare enough people into overthrowing the government. Of course, that is just my conspiracy theory, but its just about as credible as any of the others I have seen.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Ron Paul wouldn't become a billionaire overnight by returning to a gold standard. In fact, the price of gold shot through the roof in the 1970s after we went OFF the gold standard entirely. Gold hit an all-time peak in 1980, in both nominal and real terms. It is a good investment in times of turmoil in equities (kinda like now). And he is not the "leading" advocate of returning to the gold standard. Many hard-money advocates and investment strategists in the past 50 years have been agitating for it, with Harry Browne as perhaps the most popular "goldbug" voice.

That being said, I don't consider the Fed to be a major problem, although I disagree with some of their moves. If nothing else, having capable people in charge of monetary policy has helped to discourage the federal government from using fiscal policy moves to try to direct the economy in a rudimentary Keynesian way. If they can keep inflation to a minimum and only cut interest rates when facing a major crisis such as the housing shortage, that doesn't bother me. I am a pretty committed libertarian, but I am not a goldbug and I don't subscribe to the totality of Austrian economics, though I do enjoy what I have read from Mises, Hayek, et al.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I stopped reading after I read nonsensical rhetoric like "The Federal Reserve is owned", but yes, the Fed is necessary to stifle the demon that is inflation.
    Last edited by nozflubber; 04-24-2008 at 07:06 PM. Reason: AUNT JEMMAMMA STRIKES AGAIN

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I'm sure this downward slope couldn't have anything to do with the mortgage crisis and the credit card debt crisis.

It's funny, I can't seem to find your book on either Barnes and Noble or Amazon.

I believe that a good share of the conspiracy theories are actually perpetrated by Libertarian groups whose agenda it is to scare enough people into overthrowing the government. Of course, that is just my conspiracy theory, but its just about as credible as any of the others I have seen.
    Your conspiracy theory is even more ridiculous. Please do not slander an entire movement based on nothing but wild assertions.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    XNTX

I see you've begun to follow the Austrian School of economics theory. (Thats where Ron Paul seems to take his lead).

You don't need a gold standard, all as a gold standard does is stop the government printing currency at a faster rate than economic growth.

The Fed at the moment is a very secretive body, and it tells little. The money supply M3 is growing at a rate of 11-13% at the moment and thats really deflating cash holdings and bumping up underlying inflation.

The US will move into that Amero currency simply to hide the huge problems that are going to surface soon. One thing that the US needs to be very concerned about is the fact that the use of the Euro is gaining large market share as the currency of choice for global trade... This means that the Fed cannot endlessly print money and throw it into a huge pool.