User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

The solution to this is obviously a moon colony.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP

Given that the population of the planet is higher today than it has ever been at any point in history, I would assume that culture is subsequently developing at a rate that has yet to be seen in any previous time period

Today, there are more singers, more genres, more painters, more cultures interacting with other cultures, and more information available. However, humans in the developed world are also reproducing at a noticeably slower rate today. This, I believe, is inconsequential when we look at the sheer numbers of people and their increasingly diverse behaviors and beliefs

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I agree that the pace of innovation is dead slow and stop, there's little in the way of originality and a lot of cultural recycling.

I think a lot of it is to do with money, tried and tested formulas. In cinema it is very clear, particularly western cinema, even some of the films on release have titles which are strangely descriptive, sort of "escape from the strange mystery island" kind of thing.

MBTI
    ISTx

Current times are so culturally unexciting that it hurts. At least in America.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

What's 20 years anyway, and what's so important about having new, universally adopted, visual styles?

Actually, I think things are changing so fast with technology that we haven't been able to 'settle' on a new styles to represent a new paradigm. It may never happen again. The way we communicate now allows many niche ideas on all kinds of things reach large audiences directly without having to filter through some sort of cultural zeitgeist.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Culture is more than just art. Culture is also technology, and in that sense our culture is moving faster than ever.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    What's 20 years anyway, and what's so important about having new, universally adopted, visual styles?

Actually, I think things are changing so fast with technology that we haven't been able to 'settle' on a new styles to represent a new paradigm. It may never happen again. The way we communicate now allows many niche ideas on all kinds of things reach large audiences directly without having to filter through some sort of cultural zeitgeist.
    There is an element of truth in that, if things were slower and the momentum didnt exist then memes wouldnt rise and disappear so quickly, often too quick to even make a T-shirt printing run, I collect T-shirts with memes on them, such as Fenton the dog, but they are already on their way out by the time I discover them most of the time. This is perhaps an indication of why they dont endure and become trends or trendy.

I definitely know that the release of films or film events is different, its more time limited, there is less of a build up, there is less of any single feature becoming a phenomenon like they once did, like, for instance Batman did or the turtles movie did.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Back to the Future Part II is interesting. It's set in 1985, 1955, and 2015. The world of 1985 is unmistakably different from 1955, and the creators imagined that it would be similarly different by 2015. They were wrong.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    Back to the Future Part II is interesting. It's set in 1985, 1955, and 2015. The world of 1985 is unmistakably different from 1955, and the creators imagined that it would be similarly different by 2015. They were wrong.
    Nice point and very good reference.

To make a similar comparison.

We are the Industrial Revolution of the 20th/21st Century.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    Is there really a shortage of new in fashion, music and car designs?

Plus, culture is a whole lot more than these things. 2006-2012 is pretty much exploding with internet culture.
    I second this.

If we think about it, we've made so many advancements in just these 20 years that it can be seen as remarkable? Time is definitely at a faster pace than it was 20 years ago (even 10 years ago would be considered slower than it is now.)

Home phones, pagers, cellphones, smartphones, and etc.

From T.V. to the advances of the Computer.

From 24 hour photos to a mere few minutes.

From physical to digital/analog.

From 2-d animation to 3-d animation. Disney 2-d animation to Pixar 3-d animation.

From little tiny pixel(ated) games to full brunt games made with 3-d software.

From VHS, to CD, to Blu-Ray, to digital.

Hell, I don't even know how slow my childhood was until I start comparing it to the next half of my current life. If we were to go back 12 years from now, and stay that way, the world would definitely be slower than it is now.

Socially is just as remarkable, people would guess that 20 years ago most people would say a person would keep in contact with a low amount of people. Nowadays, it is just too easy to talk to someone across the globe. Yes... you guys remember how freaking slow hand-written mail was? (though.... it was more personal)

The time period now from 10-20 years ago is definitely different though. But is it cultural stagnation? Far from it. Otherwise, none of us would truly be talking to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The solution to this is obviously a moon colony.
    I don't think that we'll get close to that until the oldbies aren't in power anymore. I'll wait until another 10-20 years before we start going that far at a rapid pace. If anything, it is the old people trying to force a stagnation.

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Current times are so culturally unexciting that it hurts. At least in America.
    It is because we were born and raised during this age? If we start teaching those old guys who tried to pass SOPA/PIPA to learn about Computers, they'll probably think it is extremely fascinating. They lived at a time where Computers and Cellphones were practically non-existent and during the times when T.V. was everything. Most of us lived during or at the time when Computers started developing rapidly.