123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Cannibas and Khat

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16508238

I've been following a story on BBC radio 4 and this is a piece from the website, the Netherlands has banned this substance called Khat, now they are known for their liberal policies in relation to cannibas.

So what do all the pro and contra drug use posters on the forum think about this? Is it racially motivated? Is it a unique measure to police drug use within a minority, ie the somalians, but rather than being racially motivated it is culturally motivated?

If you are for decriminalising or promoting the availability of drugs what is your attitude to Khat? Is it just the same as cannibas? Does it matter than the trade supports Somali pirates, islamic fundamentalist terror networks or warlords?

Britain hasnt prohibited this substance and doesnt look likely to, its been hotly debated as to why this could be and there are some progressives who favour the continuity in laisse faire towards Khat in the UK, while other progressives suggest it is racist toleration of a substance harmful to a small population of users in an ethnic minority.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Im used to the fact that everything(other than alcohol and tobacco) which can cause even slightest intoxication or any sort of buzz is made illegal as soon as the authorities hear about it. I think its pretty stupid, especially when quite lots of the stuff thats illegal is legal in most countries because it doesent even seem to have anything else than placebo effect..

I think khat is so mild substance that it should be legal, not to mention that its not even something that some junkie would steal a car for and isnt even available because you need to eat like few bushes of it in a day if you wanna stay high for more than 30mins..
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Im used to the fact that everything(other than alcohol and tobacco) which can cause even slightest intoxication or any sort of buzz is made illegal as soon as the authorities hear about it. I think its pretty stupid, especially when quite lots of the stuff thats illegal is legal in most countries because it doesent even seem to have anything else than placebo effect..

I think khat is so mild substance that it should be legal, not to mention that its not even something that some junkie would steal a car for and isnt even available because you need to eat like few bushes of it in a day if you wanna stay high for more than 30mins..
    That's not what the link I provided would suggest but maybe you've got superior knowledge, thanks for posting though.

They seem more concerned with the mess khat would create as the users would chew it up and spit it out like "chew." It doesn't seem exceptionally harmful, but the article didn't provide much detail about it, and I wouldn't expect it to. I'm not familiar with the substance, but so far it sounds comparable to marijuana.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Suspect it is mostly a disincentive for some types of fundamental Muslims to immigrate to the country (or pandering to those who want to push such disincentives).
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Suspect it is mostly a disincentive for some types of fundamental Muslims to immigrate to the country (or pandering to those who want to push such disincentives).
    I think you're right, especially in the Netherlands.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    They seem more concerned with the mess khat would create as the users would chew it up and spit it out like "chew." It doesn't seem exceptionally harmful, but the article didn't provide much detail about it, and I wouldn't expect it to. I'm not familiar with the substance, but so far it sounds comparable to marijuana.
    I think Khat is physically addictive, making it difficult to use in moderation and therefore more dangerous than marijuana....but I don't think it should be illegal.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I wonder where they stand on chewing betel nuts.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

According to this chart Khat has significantly lower risk of physical harm and dependency than cannabis.
    See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ra...ependence).svg
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    According to this chart Khat has significantly lower risk of physical harm and dependency than cannabis.
    See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ra...ependence).svg
    Huh. I wonder whether I was over-estimating the dangers of Khat or under-estimating the dangers of Marijuana?