User Tag List

First 45678 Last

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Well, as important as Ne is, let's try and get some Ti in once in a while k?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Do you know the classic distinction between the Phusis and the Poiesis?

According to ancient greeks, Phusis (=nature) is what happen outside the realm of men, outside our own grasp, while Poiesis is what we create, what we invent, what we craft (->Techne).
    Yes, it appears most of this debate is semantics. There are perhaps an unlimited number of definitions and connotations of the word "natural".
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Don't get me started into the fact that I think that most religions are utter bullshit in general and you might as well beleive in an economic system where money is the god as to beleive in a religious system in which some silly old man in the sky is the god Nocapz!

I was just playing with this thread!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    We do unnatural things all the time. We pray. Is there any other form of life that has ever been observed praying?
    How is praying unnatural? How is religion unnatural? They came into being through a natural process.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTP

We must treat our god pretty poorly. I've seen money lying on the groun... I've seen money en route to the landfill...

I think milk is a better god. Or what about me? I'm god. That means I'm the top of capitalism.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    How is praying unnatural? How is religion unnatural? They came into being through a natural process.
    Well, I'll just finish this off by saying nothing is unnatural. Nothing. Ever. Anywhere. Even synthesis is natural. We couldn't synthesize without nature.

Kiddo's flaw here, is that he views our behavior as different from the rest of the animal kingdom, which is fine, but it's not really fair, because, all species' behavior is different from "the rest of the animal kingdom".

What can be said about humans, regarding their relationship to the animal kingdom can be said about any species in it as well.
    we fukin won boys

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    We must treat our god pretty poorly. I've seen money lying on the groun... I've seen money en route to the landfill...

I think milk is a better god. Or what about me? I'm god. That means I'm the top of capitalism.
    How about the Sun... it seems pretty logical to worship. It brings us light and life and we can't destroy it because it's untouchable!

“Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESFJ

It's highly illogical to consider social behavior by a higher primate to be "unnatural." Humans speaking to each other, working together, enjoying company with one another? Darwinian blasphemy!
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    OMNi

I would like to know how I have managed to go from making the argument that "capitalism" is a theological concept to a philosophical debate about what constitutes natural. But I agree with dissonance's reasoning in that regard.

Now would anyone care to argue against my original claim?

"From a logical standpoint, it is apparent that conflict is inevitable based on our need to compete for limited space and resources, and ultimately the most successful animals are those which form cohesive groups and acquire territory by force."

Edit: *hears crickets churping* *watches a tumbleweed fly on the wind* *hears a pin drop*

That's what I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I would like to know how I have managed to go from making the argument that "capitalism" is a theological concept to a philosophical debate about what constitutes natural. But I agree with dissonance's reasoning in that regard.

Now would anyone care to argue against my original claim?

"From a logical standpoint, it is apparent that conflict is inevitable based on our need to compete for limited space and resources, and ultimately the most successful animals are those which form cohesive groups and acquire territory by force."

Edit: *hears crickets churping* *watches a tumbleweed fly on the wind* *hears a pin drop*

That's what I thought!
    Unless I missed the post, I haven't seen you present a cohesive argument as to why you think capitalism is a theological concept. You've made broad claims and challenged people to prove you wrong, but you've presented no substantive points for debate. So I'd like to see you explain, in detail, why you think capitalism is a theological concept. I think others would like to see that as well since it appears you're the only person that believes this to be the case.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."