User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

well... some people seem to take capitalism to be a religion- though by that definition I suppose we could construe any strongly held beleif system to be a form of religion in a way
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

No, I'm going to have you say it here. CP won't load.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    well... some people seem to take capitalism to be a religion- though by that definition I suppose we could construe any strongly held beleif system to be a form of religion in a way
    Theology has little to do with religion. Studying god himself, does not necessarily mean one is religious.
    we fukin won boys

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

There are beleif systems that are considered theological that do not have a definite beleived in God though.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    if we are entirely biological, how can we do something unnatural?
    Unnatural means not observed in nature. So unnatural simply means it is something only humans do and no other form of life on the planet does.

so, we're not just animals. we have some ability to act outside of the scope of evolution?
    Clearly humans have the illusion of acting outside the scope of evolution, but we can never escape it.

i think we are JUST animals. that's it. animals do not have the capacity to do unnatural things. and since we're animals, we cannot do unnatural things. natural vs. unnatural is a spectrum we made up, and i think it holds no water.
    We do unnatural things all the time. We pray. Is there any other form of life that has ever been observed praying?

you are a dualist. i am a monist.
    I think you are making wild assumption in order to have some justification to dismiss ideas that you particularly don't like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ENTP

@whatevz
    Uh.... what?
    You must be mistaken, because Theo/Thei means god. The base of the word is a direct reference to God.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    We do unnatural things all the time. We pray. Is there any other form of life that has ever been observed praying?
    How is that not natural? We're trying to save our own hides. Maybe our hides don't 'exist' but it's still a self preservation evolutionary instinct.
    we fukin won boys

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

The key word is a supernatural explanation. The moment we stopped looking for natural explanations, we stopped acting naturally.
    Do you know the classic distinction between the Phusis and the Poiesis?

According to ancient greeks, Phusis (=nature) is what happens outside the realm of men, outside our own grasp, while Poiesis is what we create, what we invent, what we craft (->Techne).
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

To Nocapz-

The word origionally applied to the study of things relating to God but was eventually broadened to include other forms of beleif in a higher power which was not necissary a deity, such as Buddhism, which does not neccesitate a God. Some people take thier beleifs in other things such as economic or political systems so much to heart that it influences thier lives much in the way that any form of religion would, therefore it could be considered a form of theology in a way if you think about it!

Maybe that's just me playing with connections, but it could make perfect sense to me.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Natural means not observed in nature. So unnatural simply means it is something only humans do and no other form of life on the planet does.

and you are defining nature to be everything not human?

a peregrine falcon can dive at >200mph. no other animal can. from a peregrine falcon's standpoint, they could define natural as anything that can't travel >200 mph. so they would be capable of something unnatural.

it's the same thing with us. we "think" in this specific way. no other animal does. so we define some set of standards that makes us special. we separate ourselves out from the rest of the world. it's a pointless distinction to make. we're animals, peregrine falcons are animals. we're all just animals.

it's like if 2 kids are playing and one suddenly runs to a tree and touches it. he then turns around and says to the other kid "we were racing to the tree, and i won the race!".

you can always win or seem different if you define the rules.

Clearly humans have the illusion of acting outside the scope of evolution, but we can never escape it.
    premise 1: evolution is natural
    premise 2: humans can't act outside the scope of evolution (your premise)
    conclusion: humans can't act unnaturally.

my peregrine falcon argument works perfectly here.

I think you are making wild assumption in order to have some justification to dismiss ideas that you particularly don't like.
    well, no. it's just obvious you have different assumptions than i have. you seem to have dualist assumptions.