User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    That is exactly the point I addressed in my argument. This is purely observational. The past tells us where we are going to end up if we don't find a different way. The only argument I am willing to make is humans have a responsiblity to this planet to limit their population but that idea goes completely contrary to theological principles such as capitalism.
    What in the hell are you talking about, responsibility? Responsibility? Humans have one directive, to produce offspring, just like every other species on the planet. I don't know where this 'responsibility' comes from. Some higher power, perhaps?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

On population -- the infant death rate has dropped significantly in the last few hundred years. That's the most vulnerable time in a human's life.

Technology and medicine are the direct reasons for such low frequency of fatality in children under 1 year old.

The technology we have now *could* easily have some about independent of any theological bull.

What the hell...
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

Why have I not put you on ignore yet?

Honestly, I have no respect for people who make unsubstantiated claims like that simply to flout their own arrogance.
    Calm down kid.

Just 'cause you're losing an argument doesn't mean you need to project.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    how is it unnatural to try to explain things? a by-product of our evolution is a need to explain things...
    The key word is a supernatural explanation. The moment we stopped looking for natural explanations, we stopped acting naturally.

other definitions are inconsistent.
    As they always are.

well, evolution got us where we are now. so how is it unnatural? you're the one applying the standards.
    I never said evolution was unnatural. Evolution is very natural. You asked why we should be held to the standards of nature and I answered by saying that we aren't held to any standards outside of theology, but we are held to evolution by our biology.

do you think there's something fundamentally different about humans, like that we have a soul or something? or are we just some random animal.
    I think humans are animals. The only thing that makes humans special is our ability to think and act unnaturally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    What in the hell are you talking about, responsibility? Responsibility? Humans have one directive, to produce offspring, just like every other species on the planet. I don't know where this 'responsibility' comes from. Some higher power, perhaps?
    yeah i was about to post the same thing.

responsibility seems pretty "theological".

MBTI
    ENTP

Kiddo, define theological please. I don't think you know what it is.

'Cause... seriously? Capitalism is theological?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Exactly. Evolution dictates that we have to reproduce. My argument is purely theological.

MBTI
    ENTP

So to you, evolution is god's opposition?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    So to you, evolution is god's opposition?
    Read your rep.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I never said evolution was unnatural. Evolution is very natural. You asked why we should be held to the standards of nature and I answered by saying that we aren't held to any standards outside of theology, but we are held to evolution by our biology.
    if we are entirely biological, how can we do something unnatural?

I think humans are animals. The only thing that makes humans special is our ability to think and act unnaturally.

so, we're not just animals. we have some ability to act outside of the scope of evolution?

if you argue from that premise, no wonder you're making the points you're making.

i think we are JUST animals. that's it. animals do not have the capacity to do unnatural things. and since we're animals, we cannot do unnatural things. natural vs. unnatural is a spectrum we made up, and i think it holds no water.

you are a dualist. i am a monist.