User Tag List

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Hanna, Bourne, Limitless and the Uber Mensch

Whether its a result of genetic engineering, psychological-behaviourist programming or wonder drugs the cinema has depicted in different ways the interest society seems to have in superior human beings.

What do you think about this? Why does this exist? Is it pro or contra democratic norms or mores?

It seems to underlie a lot of features in which it isnt even the them or isnt apparent to begin with, for instance Lord of The Rings, while it seems to be a number of different races uniting against a common evil all the characters are revealed either immediately or eventually to be elite or uber mensch of their communities, blood lines are also important.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

People think they're too good for lark threads, but lark threads are too good for them.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Of course Frodo was an imperial fascist of the Baggins regime.

I think it's more about having a sense of purpose. We enjoy heroes who have a pedigree because we can see that they are part of a long line of heroes and thus are "fulfilling their destiny" -- that they have a purpose to aspire to. (Remember Bard and his black arrow? "Black arrow, you have never failed me, and always have I recovered you. I had you from my father, and he from of old. If ever you came from the forges of the true king under the mountain, go now and speed well!" Bard has been passed a weapon of antiquity, a sign of blessing and designated purpose from his ancestors, and he uses that talisman to prove that he is worthy of his lineage and takes his place among the ancient heroes by slaying Smaug.)

Note: Yes, I'm a geek, I quoted that from memory.

Or we take someone without a pedigree, in order to spin the myths on their head, and allow them to aspire to greatness as a heroic act. Don't people often dream of finding out that they are of heroic descent themselves, and this somehow legitimizes the thought that they might too aspire to greatness?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Whether its a result of genetic engineering, psychological-behaviourist programming or wonder drugs the cinema has depicted in different ways the interest society seems to have in superior human beings.

What do you think about this? Why does this exist? Is it pro or contra democratic norms or mores?

It seems to underlie a lot of features in which it isnt even the them or isnt apparent to begin with, for instance Lord of The Rings, while it seems to be a number of different races uniting against a common evil all the characters are revealed either immediately or eventually to be elite or uber mensch of their communities, blood lines are also important.
    I refused to watch Limitless as I found the whole movie to be (mildly?) offensive to my militant hairy legged lesbian etc. etc. self. Bourne just seemed boring to me and a typical superhero spy movie. Also, I'm not a fan of Matt Damon. I do want to watch Hannah though.

Cinema is fantasy and it plays on problems and questions on society as well as reflect people's fears and desires. It's interesting for people to watch movies about 'superhumans' who are usually the good guy. I think people are supposed to root for them and identify with them. In that way it is democratic because everyone can dream of being superhuman and at the same time we know that no one is.

I think for your question it's not the superhero movies that are so relevant but rather movies and tv shows about the extremely wealthy. People LOOOOVE watching how 'the better half live'.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

thread is about uber wenches aswell as uber menschs (sorry czecze oooh uck, hairy legs, I dont fancy you no more :p )