User Tag List

123 Last

Default The Media's Effect On the Gay Teen Suicide Rate

This is pulled straight from the America Foundation for Suicide Prevention:
    As helpful as the media can be in shining a spotlight on anti-gay bullying and risk for suicide, scientific research has shown that some media reports about suicide can be harmful and contribute to contagion, or "copycat" suicides. Reporting graphic details of the suicide method, publishing photos of the victim and sensationalizing or romanticizing the suicide can inadvertently lead to copycat behavior, especially among vulnerable youth.

We encourage journalists reporting on all suicides to review the nationally recognized media recommendations developed by AFSP, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Office of the Surgeon General and a number of other suicide prevention and government agencies. Following these recommendations, available at www.afsp.org/media, can reduce the risk of contagion and help prevent suicide. Also available are recommendations for discussing LGBT suicide.
    (The above links are not helpful, so here is the direct link to the .pdf guide for the media. I'd like your thoughts on it.)

I'd like to find any stats available on the suicide rate of (bullied) gay teens. I'm curious about the multiple forces at work and how much they overlap to generate this seemingly fast-growing problem:

• bullying
    • adolescence
    • sexual orientation
    • (lack of) community support/resources
    • depression
    • suicide (and specifically as it relates to escaping pain & romanticizing personal legacy)
    • the internet factor
    • the media factor
    • Pre-2000 vs. Post-2000 teen suicide rate

Does evidence suggest suicide is on the rise for teens, or bullying for that matter? If so, is stigma or the media at fault?Or are both rates holding, but the circumstances are more widely acknowledged, publicized, and condemned?

Can the media continue to bring attention to this social problem without inadvertently encouraging it? IOW, is it possible to inform/educate the public while effectively mitigating the 'contagion factor'? Why or why not?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

I think you are looking at this situation with a microscope. You have to view the bigger picture and try to understand the de-moralization of america.
    1+1=3 OMFG

Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
    I think you are looking at this situation with a microscope. You have to view the bigger picture and try to understand the de-moralization of america.
    If that's your only bulletpoint, having a discussion with a focus narrower than this:

may prove tricky.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

... uh.. from what angle? That statement is entirely vague as to where you might be going with it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

A journalist's job is to objectively report the facts.
    It is not their job to be a nanny to those who read them.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

No matter what, what i say will be taken subjectively. Just search the word up and see where it takes you ill let you come to your own conclusions. But's an interconnected idea if you have any direction for truth you might get there gooday
    1+1=3 OMFG

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    A journalist's job is to objectively report the facts.
    And if it so happens that it is their subjective goal to be objective, let us all fart sayeth Jesus, Our Lord.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

No matter what, what i say will be taken subjectively. Just search the word up and see where it takes you ill let you come to your own conclusions. But's an interconnected idea if you have any direction for truth you might get there gooday
    LOLOL.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    LOLOL.
    Be careful or he'll call you judgmental.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    A journalist's job is to pretend to objectively report the facts while making things as dramatic as possible.
    True.

Wut.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex