User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Suicide is a human issue. I'm seeking discussion on suicide as it pertains to gay youth, specifically. If you prefer to discuss the suicide rates of redheads or park rangers for instance, you're free to make your own thread.
    I struggle to understand why any of them would require a specific thread when you've stated yourself that its a human issue.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Suicide is now a gay issue?

What are the remaining non-gay issues again?
    Ignorance affects us all

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Ignorance affects us all
    Yes. Yes it does.

(Vague posts which could realistically mean anything to anyone really move the discussion along?)

MBTI
    INTP

Yes. Yes it does.

(Vague posts which could realistically mean anything to anyone really move the discussion along?)
    We could easily overlook very real problems faced by enormous segments of the population by marginalizing them or moving the discussion along to something else

Is suicide an issue in the gay population? I would say yes, absolutely

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I struggle to understand why any of them would require a specific thread when you've stated yourself that its a human issue.
    Are you kidding me?

Okay, let's make it something else - 'overspending,' let's say.

We could talk about overspending among women; among teenagers; among the Asian demographic; among self-identified liberals; among Baby Boomers; etc.... and while the general topic is overspending, we'd be discussing it in relation to a particular demographic.

Posting a thread exploring the impact of the media on the gay suicide rate is just the topic, dude. Let it rest. Iwakar was very explicit about this. If you would like to discuss "media impact on suicide" in general, or for teenagers, or for Catholics, or for any other demographic, the forum is open to you doing so. I'm not sure why you have an issue with iwakar starting a thread on a topic of her particular choosing, except you've expressed a political discontent with such things repeatedly in the past.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I don't like it when you're disingenuous. You do yourself a disservice. I rarely agree with you, but I happen to think you're clever.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Ginkgo

So... Gay teen's aren't human? I struggle to understand your reasoning.

Does evidence suggest suicide is on the rise for teens, or bullying for that matter? If so, is stigma or the media at fault?Or are both rates holding, but the circumstances are more widely acknowledged, publicized, and condemned?
    The suicide rate for several years: http://www.suicide.org/suicide-stati...ml#death-rates
    It shows that suicide rates for teens have dropped since 1990. I doubt you'll find any stats on bullying. I'd say bullying, as portrayed in the media, is probably a growing sensitivity to kids mimicking their parents and not necessarily an increase in bullying. I have no problem with suicide and I don't see why people think it's a bad thing. Looking at the problem of suicide from an evolutionary perspective, it's really no different than being gay and never reproducing. Hopefully we'll have more suicides and more gays in the future.

Can the media continue to bring attention to this social problem without inadvertently encouraging it? IOW, is it possible to inform/educate the public while effectively mitigating the 'contagion factor'? Why or why not?
    The segment of the population who are swayed by repetitive media are probably better off dead, it'll save them a lot of pain in the future. I still consider myself pro-life.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    The suicide rate for several years: http://www.suicide.org/suicide-stati...ml#death-rates
    It shows that suicide rates for teens have dropped since 1990. I doubt you'll find any stats on bullying. I'd say bullying, as portrayed in the media, is probably a growing sensitivity to kids mimicking their parents and not necessarily an increase in bullying. I have no problem with suicide and I don't see why people think it's a bad thing.
    Thanks for the stats table. It ends at 2003 though and to me 2000 and beyond *feels* like the coverage shift period to be looking at. This is just Ni talking though. I think you're half-right on the bullying. As for the stats, I wonder how/if they classify drug overdoses.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    Looking at the problem of suicide from an evolutionary perspective, it's really no different than being gay and never reproducing. Hopefully we'll have more suicides and more gays in the future.
    Qu'est-ce que c'est?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari