User Tag List

12 Last

Default Food rationing hits the US

Food Rationing Confronts Breadbasket of the World | The New York Sun

It's still unclear what the cause is, but I'll be tracking it closely on my preparedness radar.

"There have been so many stories about worldwide shortages that it encourages people to stock up. What most people don't realize is that supply chains have changed, so inventories are very short," Mr. Rawles, a former Army intelligence officer, said. "Even if people increased their purchasing by 20%, all the store shelves would be wiped out."

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I saw this on the news this morning and also watched a show about it last night. The panels said that the shortages are coming for gas prices as well as some of the foods being used to make alternate fuel. They said there are riots occurring the world over because of the high food prices or their unavailability. The two I remember are Mexico and Pakistan.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Haiti and, surprisingly, Italy as well. I can't help but squirm with a sick sadistic joy when I hear about this, because simple people like to reach for easy solutions like "OMG, biofuelz!" without considering economic consequences.

Farm more corn plz

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post

Farm more corn plz
    And quit paying farmers for not planting... it was always ludicrous... time to change.

Oberon

I predict that farming will once again become a viable career choice around the world.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I predict that farming will once again become a viable career choice around the world.
    Sure as a wage slave slug working for big corporate farming giants planting and growing their bio-engineered and patented seeds.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Various new articles on the same type of topic.

French push for EU food response

UN calls for farming revolution

UK FOOD SUPPLY IN THE 21ST CENTURY: THE NEW DYNAMIC”
    Research Project Proposal
    (Year 2: 1st October 2007 to 30th September 2008)

Farmers to kill off 150,000 pigs

BY JOHN COTTER The Canadian Press
    Tue. Apr 15 - 4:59 PM

World According to Monsanto

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I can't help but consider how good this will be for the obesity problem America faces.

Or perhaps not--if end-consumers can't buy the raw materials, maybe they'll end up eating out at restaurants who can secure their supplies better... and make fattier foods.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

^ actually I would think it would make it worse as well. Healthy food takes more effort to process and prepare. Never forget that fats are the most efficient energy storage systems we have, and when food becomes scarce, its better to have something fattening rather than something with little caloric content

MBTI
    INXP

Ah yes,farming is only viable because of the subsidies. I think that'll change pretty quickly. Sounds good to me... we can afford higher prices in our big fat economies. Even more, we can afford basic ingredients and cooking stuff for ourselves, rather than opening pre packaged overpriced crap and sticking it in a microwave.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    I can't help but consider how good this will be for the obesity problem America faces.

Or perhaps not--if end-consumers can't buy the raw materials, maybe they'll end up eating out at restaurants who can secure their supplies better... and make fattier foods.
    The cheaper the food stuff, the longer it keeps, the more likely people will get fat off it. The cheapest foods with the longest shelf life are the most fattening.

Sounds good to me... we can afford higher prices in our big fat economies
    Must be nice to feel so able to pay higher prices, our household income keeps getting cut here.