User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I never noticed that the '-American' designation has a flavor of of second degree status: Irish-American, African-American, etc. You never hear English-American or Protestant-American. I guess it's all about what's considered normal, even if it isn't normal anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Who tries to avoid discussion of ethical subjectivity?

I would suggest that exactly the converse is true, no one wishes to discuss ethical objectivity and it is treated as less valid or real a concept than subjectivity.
    I wish to discuss it. Ethical objectivity is complete and utter bullshit. That's my subjective opinion though. One which won't change (ok, I lied. I don't wish to discuss anything).

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I never noticed that the '-American' designation has a flavor of of second degree status: Irish-American, African-American, etc. You never hear English-American or Protestant-American. I guess it's all about what's considered normal, even if it isn't normal anymore
    White Anglo-Saxon Protestant aka "W.A.S.P."

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Catholics can't be Americans either.
    I'm guessing Buddhists can't be American either.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    I'm guessing Buddhists can't be American either.
    Nope.

Now why this is would require an extensive discussion that I fear would derail the discussion here too much.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Nope.

Now why this is would require an extensive discussion that I fear would derail the discussion here too much.
    Write something about it in your thread.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

curiouser and curiouser bluestripes's Avatar
    MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram

i do agree with the idea behind the cartoon in the OP in that feminist perspectives can differ. veiling can be seen as oppressive, at least by many non-muslims, but the excessive exposure of a woman's body can be seen the same way. both could imply that the woman is treated as an object - in the former case, one that belongs exclusively to her father or husband and should be hidden from everyone else (which restricts the woman's freedom to move around and dress as she pleases), and in the latter, one that should be placed on public display for everyone to judge or admire (which deprives the woman of her physical privacy and may distort her body image and self-esteem).

i tend to feel worse about excessive exposure, i suppose. but when taken to an extreme, both these attitudes are equally detrimental. at any rate, i think neither should be enforced, whether through peer pressure or (specifically) formal legislation. ideally, it should be a matter of private choice - if a woman wants to wear a full-body covering such as an abaya and/or face veil, fine, but if she wants to frequent a nudists' beach, fine too. (i know that some cultures will always tend toward one of these two perspectives, but still)
    Last edited by bluestripes; 01-19-2012 at 07:39 AM. Reason: when i am tired, my language becomes indigestible
    "i love deadlines. i like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." (c) douglas adams

"there are only two ways to live your life. one is as though nothing is a miracle. the other is as though everything is a miracle." (c) albert einstein

"if only i could grow with my eyes - like these leaves - into the depth" (c) sergei esenin

"god is in the details" (c) proverb

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    That's about 4.8 billion bibles per year. Which means people (non christians included) are buying an average of maybe 30-35 bibles during their lifetime.
    People who stock Bibles obviously buy the majority of Bibles.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

American women pros:
    - educated
    - confident
    - sometimes enterprising

American women cons:
    - stuck up
    - gossipy
    - disrespectful
    - sexually repressed (by other women)

Muslim women pros
    - seem easy to live with
    - respectful
    - give you personal space

Muslim women
    - sexually repressed
    - frequently don't have opinions
    - dependent

if I were straight and had to choose
    - between an average Muslim woman and an average American woman, I would choose the average Muslim woman
    - between an exceptional Muslim woman and an exceptional American woman, I would choose the exceptional American woman
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I wish to discuss it. Ethical objectivity is complete and utter bullshit. That's my subjective opinion though. One which won't change (ok, I lied. I don't wish to discuss anything).
    Yeah, I picked that up from you a long time ago.