User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Smile The Wizard of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Don't you think that in answering my question you should at least mention the Wizard, Victor? I feel cheated.
    I can't have you feeling cheated Nicodemus.

And indeed I was speaking to the Wizard of Oz the other day and he told me that he reads every one of your posts and is impressed. And I know how hard it is to impress the Wizard of Oz. In fact he said he felt he was falling under your spell, which he fornd disorientating as normally he does the casting of spells.

So I said I would like to be able to cast spells like you and Nicodemus, and I was thinking perhaps he might take me on as an apprentice, a Sorcerer's apprentice. He said he would consult Nicodemus and let me know. So I hope Nicodemus you will put in a good word for me with the Wizard of Oz.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I wonder if the Westboro Baptist Church kills apostates.
    They would probably like to; they and the Lord's Resistance Army are the only ones who immediately come to mind, though (the worst of the rest are content to let God deal with sinners by visiting natural disasters on Disney Land).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Unfortunately we don't have the same Constitutional protections as the United States. And unfortunately on the Left we have those who tell us that Islam is no worse than Christianity.
    Islam is no worse. This is not a compliment to Islam, but a criticism of Christianity. The main difference is that Christian nations tend to have older and stronger secular democratic traditions that prevent the worst Christian tendencies from being realized, while Muslim nations tend to have more autocratic, indeed theocratic, governments where the will of an individual ruler is law and his religion must be everyone's. Consider Christianity ~700 years ago. This is about the age difference between the two religions.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    They would probably like to; they and the Lord's Resistance Army are the only ones who immediately come to mind, though (the worst of the rest are content to let God deal with sinners by visiting natural disasters on Disney Land).
    WBC is a moneyball, not really fanatic and certainly unlikely to kill anyone. Even if they were legitimately fanatic, they are outclassed by real organizations which really do kill apostates. If anything, people in WBC are more likely to be killed by fanatics, than the other way around.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    WBC is a moneyball, not really fanatic and certainly unlikely to kill anyone. Even if they were legitimately fanatic, they are outclassed by real organizations which really do kill apostates. If anything, people in WBC are more likely to be killed by fanatics, than the other way around.
    You're probably right, I was just willing to concede the point to avoid digression. Because they're so small and (up to this point) non-violent, the WBC might even inadvertently serve a positive utilitarian function by enabling people with diametrically opposed beliefs to bond over shared moral outrage (though the pain they cause grieving families might be enough to offset that).

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

To be honest the failure to make any distinction between good and bad religion, whether its good or bad islam or good or bad christianity or any other religion betrays a serious thinking fail.

Also a good indication that there's some bad ideology at work. Those who're likely to be fronting it probably have more in common with the fundamentalists they like to attack than they're ever likely to concede.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    To be honest the failure to make any distinction between good and bad religion, whether its good or bad islam or good or bad christianity or any other religion betrays a serious thinking fail.

Also a good indication that there's some bad ideology at work. Those who're likely to be fronting it probably have more in common with the fundamentalists they like to attack than they're ever likely to concede.
    What is the distinction?

What is a good religion, and what is a bad religion? What are some common characteristics of each type?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

What is the distinction?

What is a good religion, and what is a bad religion? What are some common characteristics of each type?
    Are you serious? What is a good and bad person?

This is a simpler point than you're trying to make it.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Are you serious? What is a good and bad person?
    This is largely subjective

For example, many people would say that I am a bad person, and many would say that I am a good person

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

This is largely subjective

For example, many people would say that I am a bad person, and many would say that I am a good person
    Yeah, got to love subjectivity when it comes to murder.