User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 106

  1. #41
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Smile The Wizard of Oz

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Don't you think that in answering my question you should at least mention the Wizard, Victor? I feel cheated.
    I can't have you feeling cheated Nicodemus.

    And indeed I was speaking to the Wizard of Oz the other day and he told me that he reads every one of your posts and is impressed. And I know how hard it is to impress the Wizard of Oz. In fact he said he felt he was falling under your spell, which he fornd disorientating as normally he does the casting of spells.

    So I said I would like to be able to cast spells like you and Nicodemus, and I was thinking perhaps he might take me on as an apprentice, a Sorcerer's apprentice. He said he would consult Nicodemus and let me know. So I hope Nicodemus you will put in a good word for me with the Wizard of Oz.

  2. #42
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I wonder if the Westboro Baptist Church kills apostates.
    They would probably like to; they and the Lord's Resistance Army are the only ones who immediately come to mind, though (the worst of the rest are content to let God deal with sinners by visiting natural disasters on Disney Land).

  3. #43
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Unfortunately we don't have the same Constitutional protections as the United States. And unfortunately on the Left we have those who tell us that Islam is no worse than Christianity.
    Islam is no worse. This is not a compliment to Islam, but a criticism of Christianity. The main difference is that Christian nations tend to have older and stronger secular democratic traditions that prevent the worst Christian tendencies from being realized, while Muslim nations tend to have more autocratic, indeed theocratic, governments where the will of an individual ruler is law and his religion must be everyone's. Consider Christianity ~700 years ago. This is about the age difference between the two religions.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  4. #44
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    They would probably like to; they and the Lord's Resistance Army are the only ones who immediately come to mind, though (the worst of the rest are content to let God deal with sinners by visiting natural disasters on Disney Land).
    WBC is a moneyball, not really fanatic and certainly unlikely to kill anyone. Even if they were legitimately fanatic, they are outclassed by real organizations which really do kill apostates. If anything, people in WBC are more likely to be killed by fanatics, than the other way around.

  5. #45
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    WBC is a moneyball, not really fanatic and certainly unlikely to kill anyone. Even if they were legitimately fanatic, they are outclassed by real organizations which really do kill apostates. If anything, people in WBC are more likely to be killed by fanatics, than the other way around.
    You're probably right, I was just willing to concede the point to avoid digression. Because they're so small and (up to this point) non-violent, the WBC might even inadvertently serve a positive utilitarian function by enabling people with diametrically opposed beliefs to bond over shared moral outrage (though the pain they cause grieving families might be enough to offset that).

  6. #46
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    To be honest the failure to make any distinction between good and bad religion, whether its good or bad islam or good or bad christianity or any other religion betrays a serious thinking fail.

    Also a good indication that there's some bad ideology at work. Those who're likely to be fronting it probably have more in common with the fundamentalists they like to attack than they're ever likely to concede.

  7. #47
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    To be honest the failure to make any distinction between good and bad religion, whether its good or bad islam or good or bad christianity or any other religion betrays a serious thinking fail.

    Also a good indication that there's some bad ideology at work. Those who're likely to be fronting it probably have more in common with the fundamentalists they like to attack than they're ever likely to concede.
    What is the distinction?

    What is a good religion, and what is a bad religion? What are some common characteristics of each type?

  8. #48
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    What is the distinction?

    What is a good religion, and what is a bad religion? What are some common characteristics of each type?
    Are you serious? What is a good and bad person?

    This is a simpler point than you're trying to make it.

  9. #49
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Are you serious? What is a good and bad person?
    This is largely subjective

    For example, many people would say that I am a bad person, and many would say that I am a good person

  10. #50
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    This is largely subjective

    For example, many people would say that I am a bad person, and many would say that I am a good person
    Yeah, got to love subjectivity when it comes to murder.

Similar Threads

  1. women who convert to islam upon falling in love with a muslim man
    By jcloudz in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 04-26-2013, 01:09 PM
  2. [INFJ] Men versus Women INFJs
    By Esoteric Wench in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 11-10-2010, 08:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO