User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I would expect any large demographic to harbor some assholes willing to do such a thing.
    The issue is why 'gay panic' is allowed as a 'not guilty' defense in the legal code? From what I gathered, this was a legally sanctioned basis for a 'not guilty' verdict (presumably at the discretion of a jury) rather than a case of jury nullification. I don't know the details of the case or of the Australian legal system, so I could be wrong.

The only mitigating factor that 'gay panic' should provide is a charge of second-degree murder instead of first-degree murder....just like any other passion or impulse motive.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Hmmm.... Which do you see as more likely to occur: An Arab-American president in a post 9-11 USA, or an openly atheist president?

Neither stands a good chance, but being of Arab descent has been exploited as a political liability in state-wide elections within the last five years, and even our current president is STILL suffering political antagonism -- with less than a year to the next election -- partly because his middle name is Hussein.
    Atheists and Arabs simply don't have the numbers, Irish and African Americans do. All four groups are relatively small. I have heard that atheists are the most despised minority in America, but I have also heard the same for homosexuals, Arabs, and Muslims.

It doesn't look good for either group. If we say post 9-11, there must be some point where this becomes irrelevant. There must eventually be some defining event in history which supersedes the attacks and the corresponding stigma in a society, though it may take decades.

Given the rapid growth of irreligion, I would say by 2050 it would be more likely that an openly atheist becomes president. I say this because again, the Arab minority is simply too tiny. For every Arab American there are 10 or 20 atheists.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Also, I signed the petition. I hadn't noticed it the first time I looked.

OK, I dont like disproportionate responses to aggression per se, whatever the circumstances but I have to muse at the liberal psyche when it comes to this one, I know about a lot of abreactions toward male attention on the part of females which are condoned as understandable and supportable, its almost a feminist rite of passage, but this isnt its different?

I would have thought there was moral equivalence, sexual harrassment and the unwanted sexual attentions of others is going to be big, especially in a society which is so saturated by sexual content but simultaneously so maladjusted about sex and sexuality. I would suggest that regardless of the sexual orientation of the perp or victim it should be treated the same.

It used to be a progressive idea that you fought injustice regardless of the author or the victim, doesnt seem that way any longer. Shame. Shame.

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    What a sensible law.

But at least some cultures are fighting back, right, Lark?
    Nico, I promise i wont be scared if you come on to me.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    you just ruined my idealistic idea of australia being a nice civilized country unlike so many. thanks a lot.
    I'm sorry! If it makes you feel any better this is only ONE state in Australia which has the law, all others who would have had anything similar have abolished them, and rightfully so, it's an utterly absurd and ridiculous law.

Queensland is also funded mainly by tourism (it's where the great barrier reef is, also where steve irwin came from) so laws like this are actually quite hurtful to themselves from an economic point of view as well (if you can't appeal to someone’s humanity and basic fucking common sense).

It's predominantly a rural state and they are pretty 'redneck'-ie as a whole compared to the rest of Australia, I loved living there for the climate (sub tropical) and the landscape (utterly amazing beaches and rainforests) but i HATED the vast majority of people there, ignorant, bigoted and largely racist was mainly what i encountered.

I was appaled that a state that touts itself as the 'smart state' on it's number plates (when you've been there a while you realise how funny that is), would still be SO backwards as to actually allow a law such as this to be used in this day and age.

I thought we were meant to be past all that.

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Also, thank you to everyone who has signed the petition, it's greatly appreciated. The link is in the OP.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

My orientation isn't gay, but WHY would I react to a gay person being a bit flirty with hideous violence?! What are they going to do, give me cooties?! I've been hit on by gay girls, gay guys, straight girls, the Dunkin Donuts man, an overly friendly collie dog. What's the big deal?

If the person isn't being an ass or being aggressive, why flip out?
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

I wonder if this is a male thing or male panic?

What way do women react to unsolicited lesbian attention for instance?

The examples used in the source material were males.

Put male homophobes in a straightjacket.