User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Unbelievable. The hospital's logic doesn't hold water. They're basing the refusal of the family-provided kidney donation on the fact that it would be a waste of time because the girls' mental capacities indicate she may not remember to take her life-long daily meds... on those grounds, people shouldn't get organs because they'll forget to take their meds when they get old and senile... wtf???
    Surprisingly the comments section from the article had some objective input from people who either worked in hospitals/with transplants or had family that went through something similar. Some said that the fact the girl already needed incubation (?) and likely had a weakened immune system due to her congenital condition meant that she was a poor candidate for transplant as she was less likely to survive. Someone else pointed out that children need children's organs and adult organs wouldn't work.

Since the hospital is gagging itself from commenting you can only wonder what is going on. I do feel for the mother as she is saying medical knowledge around her daughter's condition is very outdated and people with the same condition are still alive in their 60s today. I'm sure she feels like they are sentencing her daughter to a death sentence because of basically her 'mental retardation'.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Surprisingly the comments section from the article had some objective input from people who either worked in hospitals/with transplants or had family that went through something similar. Some said that the fact the girl already needed incubation (?) and likely had a weakened immune system due to her congenital condition meant that she was a poor candidate for transplant as she was less likely to survive. Someone else pointed out that children need children's organs and adult organs wouldn't work.
    These reasons I can understand, but I didn't see them cited in the article. Maybe some of the commentors are in the health industry and know protocols the layperson doesn't.

Then again, that's not the reasons the doctor shared, but the mother could've deliberately misrepresented the conversation to garner sympathy.

All fair possibilities.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    These reasons I can understand, but I didn't see them cited in the article. Maybe some of the commentors are in the health industry and know protocols the layperson doesn't.

Then again, that's not the reasons the doctor shared, but the mother could've deliberately misrepresented the conversation to garner sympathy.

All fair possibilities.
    When I was reading the article and comments, I wondered how medical ethics classes are conducted if case studies always have gags on them or undisclosed information to protect people's privacy (and hospital liability). It is kind of fascinating to see how hospitals make these decisions which are literally life and death and require judging things like one person's "quality of life" over another's.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I'm a kidney hoarder, personally. I like to have a kidney for spending and a kidney for savings.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.