User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default Non-Americans: Does Your Country Celebrate its History?

Now I know this doesn't generalize to every single American that ever lived, but it's common enough to note:

Americans all know their gazillion presidents from memory. They can tell you all sorts of details about important historical moments in the formation of their nation. There are American flags in every single American classroom I have ever seen. And I don't know how common this one is, but the American constitution is on the wall of every single classroom I've taught in and been a student in.

Is your country like this?

I haven't been able to find the video online, but there was a CBC survey on university campuses across Canada, and the basic consensus was an utter fail of knowledge about Canada's history.

If I were to sum it up, there is no cultural expectation in Canada to care about the strengths or weaknesses of my country's history. Like that scene between Rafiki and Simba in The Lion King, there's an attitude of, "It doesn't matter! It's in the past!" There is a cultural expectation to care about the present moment and how that interacts with other countries, and that's the context that is expected.

I absolutely see the value in both of them--context is crucial. But they are different contexts, and I can't figure out which one is more common. They seem to be polar opposities.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTP

Americans have no culture, so they must celebrate their history (selectively) instead

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Yes, completely.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    INTJ

I would be hard pressed to find a single person that could name every president, or even say the first 10 in order...or say how many members of Congress there are, etc. With that said, I think Beargryllz is right. There's no common ethnicity or anything so there has to be a significant belief in the country to keep everyone together.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I would be hard pressed to find a single person that could name every president, or even say the first 10 in order...or say how many members of Congress there are, etc. With that said, I think Beargryllz is right. There's no common ethnicity or anything so there has to be a significant belief in the country to keep everyone together.
    I'm not right, I was being a smartass

MBTI
    INTJ

Whatever. Still partially true.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm not particularly interested in history (Canadian or otherwise), although I've met people who were. Names and dates don't give me any useful information so I never saw the point of memorizing all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    There's no common ethnicity or anything so there has to be a significant belief in the country to keep everyone together.
    that doesn't make sense when you consider that canada is at least as culturally diverse as the US (and generally more accepting of that diversity).
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTJ

that doesn't make sense when you consider that canada is at least as culturally diverse as the US (and generally more accepting of that diversity).
    Ok, I probably shouldn't have said "has to" but it does benefit the country to instill a sense of pride in its citizens and carry on that practice. I wasn't comparing it to Canada at all, but I think that Usehername is probably not surrounded by the average American because most of them know virtually nothing about American history or politics in any detail. Canada also isn't the hegemon and hasn't overtly faced as many threats during the lifetime of most of its current citizens and has 10% of the population. They also had no war of independence in the same sense that we did.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I'm American and I have national pride, and people, including Americans, seem to hate this. There are ugly things in many nations history but there are also wonderful things to celebrate as well.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I find the average American to be disappointingly lacking in knowledge of American history.
    Go to sleep, iguana.