First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    - France produce and has always produced the best wine, the best cheese and the best chocolate of the world.
    Lol this is total bullshit when it comes to wine and cheese. French wine is like colored water and french cheese is soft, slightly creepy and unsavory stuff. Ofc I mean compared to italian wine and cheese, and my experience is limited to Paris and Brussels.

/end of italian nationalistic rant
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Now I know this doesn't generalize to every single American that ever lived, but it's common enough to note:

Americans all know their gazillion presidents from memory. They can tell you all sorts of details about important historical moments in the formation of their nation. There are American flags in every single American classroom I have ever seen. And I don't know how common this one is, but the American constitution is on the wall of every single classroom I've taught in and been a student in.
    Whoa! What Jesuit private highschool have you been going to?

Seriously though, I think most Americans do *not* know a ton of facts about past presidents or even the name of most of the presidents nor the order or even general era of each president. And let's not get started on being familiar with amendments or the difference between the the constitution and the declaration of independence and the bill of rights. Or state capitals. These things might be displayed in classrooms but that doesn't mean that they are taught in depth or taught at all.

I will say what is fun and helpful is getting regional history. I loved learning about Californian history when I was an elementary student in public school. About the gold rush and settlers and presidios and railroads and Native Americans.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Lol this is total bullshit when it comes to wine and cheese. French wine is like colored water and french cheese is soft, slightly creepy and unsavory stuff. Ofc I mean compared to italian wine and cheese, and my experience is limited to Paris and Brussels.

/end of italian nationalistic rant
    Man, I dunno about cheese because I never eat any, but I'm not sure i'd exange a barrel of italian wine against a only a cup of Chardonnay.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Man, I dunno about cheese because I never eat any, but I'm not sure i'd exange a barrel of italian wine against a only a cup of Chardonnay.
    Many varieties of Chardonnay are a typical italian climat wine, for example all the Chardonnays coming from the southern Trentino region...but anyways, to be more honest, I'd say French wines coming from Languedoc-Roussillon (red) or Alsace (white) are generally great, but Bourgognes and Champagnes are extremely overvalued and overated compared to their real taste differential from equivalent italian wines (say a Chainti or Prosecco).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Many varieties of Chardonnay are a typical italian climat wine, for example all the Chardonnays coming from the southern Trentino region...but anyways, to be more honest, I'd say French wines coming from Languedoc-Roussillon (red) or Alsace (white) are generally great, but Bourgognes and Champagnes are extremely overvalued and overated compared to their real taste differential from equivalent italian wines (say a Chainti or Prosecco).
    Yeah you make a very good point there. Except that I adore Champagne.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    GONE

Yeah you make a very good point there. Except that I adore Champagne.
    You know California makes some awesome 'sparkling wine'.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

Johari/Nohari

No, most Germans think you are being too nationalistic when you say you are proud of Germany's history, because of our WWII debacle.

However the best movies we have made lean heavily on our history (Goodbye Lenin, The Lives of Others, Downfall etc), who needs to make up things if you have a history like ours to pick from?! I am secretly proud that we have at least an interesting history (and I am not just talking about Hitler, going as far back as our kings, Prussia, The Weimarer Republic and the roaring 20s, after WWII the division of Germany, the building of the Berlin Wall, the Cold War and the sudden fall of the Wall in 1989 and reunification). I remember travelling through New Zealand and seeing signs like "Historic sight on your right" on the highway, then finding a church from 1920 and thinking: "Really? That is supposed to be historic? In Germany we have cities that are 2000 years old." Obviously I am being a snobbish European but I love history and am very happy that we have so much of it.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    You know California makes some awesome 'sparkling wine'.
    I know. I talk about the populars french beliefs, not mine.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

MBTI
    GONE

I know. :rooleyes: I talk about the populars french beliefs, not mine.
    I think you meant you charmer, you.

Johari/Nohari

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

If you are french, you are very likely do be convinced of theses things:

-France is the country of philosophy and the "Lumière", we are the nation of Humans Rights, whe have one of the most brillant culture on earth and the glory of the French Revolution radiates in the entire world, that's why we have a big role to play on the international scene.

-Naopoléon was a glorious hero and our glorious emperor. Unfortunately he was defeated by the evil Albion who fought "against the revolution".

-France has won the Worl War II.

-France have (with Cuba), the best welfare system of the world and outside of France, mothers must be prostitute to furnish healthcare to their children.

- France produce and has always produced the best wine, the best cheese and the best chocolate of the world.

-Need I to talk about Joan of Arc?

Theses are examples of how we celebrate our history.
    This is total bullshit.

I'd say this is a lame attempt to provoke the ire of our English neighbours. That's trolling in its purest form.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI