User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Americans (forgive the generalization) know SO LITTLE about the rest of the world.
    That's why it is our job to learn 'em about the rest of the world.

Or should that be 'teach them' about the rest of the world?

No, we don't wanna teach them, we wanna learn 'em and learn 'em about the rest of the world.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Ehmm, sorry *hesitantly pokes head through door*...

..is this the America-bashing, the let's-discuss-the-Canadian-educational-system or the Let's-compare-different-country's-views-on-their-history-and-heritage thread?

I am a bit confused and unwilling to post a 12 page essay on modern Germany's schizophrenic relationship with it's tumultuous history if this turns out being the wrong room.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnTmBjk-M0c"]"Is this the right room...?"[/YOUTUBE]
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Just read this article concerning American and Canadian interpretations of the War of 1812; is Canada planning anything to commermorate the bicentennial?
    You'd think they'd be celebrating the 30th anniversary of the birth of their country more this year.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post

..is this the America-bashing, the let's-discuss-the-Canadian-educational-system or the Let's-compare-different-country's-views-on-their-history-and-heritage thread?

I am a bit confused and unwilling to post a 12 page essay on modern Germany's schizophrenic relationship with it's tumultuous history if this turns out being the wrong room.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnTmBjk-M0c"]"Is this the right room...?"[/YOUTUBE]
    Here's a perspective from an outsider: Germany has about 15 years to be totally ashamed of, with the caveat that other Western nations would probably have entered that unfornate pool if Germany hadn't gone first (and illustrated the consequences) through historical circumstance. Bottom line, Germany (and the rest of the West) need to focus on the whole picture rather than a single era.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I agree that in my experience most countries have the "Forget it! It's in the past!" attitude to their history. This just seems to be a result of the general lack of interest in history that most people have these days. I suppose individual countries will have other reasons.

My country doesn't tend to celebrate its history all that much. This is in part because we are a warts and all about it. Every child over the age of 9 or so, is aware of the dodgy things that went on and the repercussions they had. I don't just mean what happened between the Europeans and the native people, but also a variety of others such as the environmental damage. Basically it's pretty depressing to talk about the incredibly crappy and stupid things that were done, so we don't go too in depth about it. Of course every country has terrible things that happened in it's history but NZers struggle to forget the bad and focus on the good. The other issue is the general cultural cringe, which means we feel like our history isn't all that interesting or important.

I do wish we taught more in school. We learn a little bit about the very significant moments, a vague outline of the rest with a few detailed bits here and there but nowhere near enough. In this sense I envy America's embracing of its history. On the other hand I get the impression that Americans look backwards too much and that they over-idealise their past.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    You'd think they'd be celebrating the 30th anniversary of the birth of their country more this year.
    You mean 145th.

Patriating the constitution was more of a legal formality than anything. Nothing substantially changed between the day before and the day after. Not to mention it's not a particularly popular subject to discuss given how it went down. Quebec never consented to its approval and to this day the merits and faults of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms are fiercely debated.

Plus it was enacted by a government under Trudeau, one of both the most revered and hated Canadians of all time. The fact that we now have a Conservative government all but assures the 30th anniversary of the passing of the Constitution Act will go unheralded. They'd never 'celebrate' Liberal legislation.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    You mean 145th.

Patriating the constitution was more of a legal formality than anything. Nothing substantially changed between the day before and the day after. Not to mention it's not a particularly popular subject to discuss given how it went down. Quebec never consented to its approval and to this day the merits and faults of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms are fiercely debated.

Plus it was enacted by a government under Trudeau, one of both the most revered and hated Canadians of all time. The fact that we now have a Conservative government all but assures the 30th anniversary of the passing of the Constitution Act will go unheralded. They'd never 'celebrate' Liberal legislation.
    The blessing of your sovereign to become a complete and fully autonomous country should be celebrated!

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

If I'ld answer with "yes" to the op's question, I'd have to kill you all for knowing too much
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post

Expecting your essay in due time, I will just drop the usual one-liner as a precursor.

Yes, Germany celebrates its history - on the 3rd of October and, if you will, on the day of national mourning (Volkstrauertag). Besides that, national pride and such are generally regarded as suspect.

MBTI
    ESFJ

English people are ambivalent patriots. They're uncomfortable with overt displays of patriotism except in the context of sporting events. When English people are uncomfortable doing something, they dress it in ironic humour. For example, they'll often put a union jack on a Mini Cooper precisely because it's so diminutive; putting a similar union jack on an Aston Martin Vanquish, on the other hand, would probably be unacceptably pretentious. Symbols of English patriotism must also be used carefully because of associations with abhorrent political movements like the so-called British National Party.

Americans don't have this problem. They are natural and earnest in their patriotism. However, that doesn't seem to entail a better grasp of history.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.