[youtube="knxR-Q2VoBE"]Canadians in WWI[/youtube]

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    So which province are you from?

I suspect you learned a great deal of Canadian history in school but don't remember any of it. Maybe it was taught poorly or maybe you just didn't care to remember at the time.
    In Ontario, we had a "canadian and world history" class in grade 10 or 11 which was mostly about the world wars and how canada contributed, from my faint recollection. We also had a class or two maybe in middle school about basically quebec history/founding of the country (I was in french immersion which may have had an impact on the curriculum, not sure). Or it might have just been a section of another class. For sure nothing before grade 7.

I would prefer not to learn any of it, but I can (begrudgingly) see why it's in the curriculum. I definitely don't think we should start doing things like memorizing names of past prime ministers. There are far more important things to be learning.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Maybe it was taught poorly or maybe you just didn't care to remember at the time.
    I had a great grade 11 Canadian History teacher. But it was hardly enough to get me in the loop of history when everyone, including myself, was focused on taking classes that directly and immediately affected their career plans in first year uni, like calculus, chemistry, physics, etc.

If I had any teaching prior to that, it must have been taught poorly. We had geography in grade 10, but that was other-country focused.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Are you a Canadian history teacher or training to be a Canadian history teacher? Be honest.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

No, I'm a regular ol' Canadian who took classes in high school that affected my career plans, like math (incl. calculus), chemistry and physics. I also took classes that had no effect on my career path like French and biology because I wanted to. I took English and Social Studies (which includes Canadian history) because I had to (and would have wanted to anyway).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

@Usehername: to answer the OP: "Does Your Country Celebrate its History?"

I do think Canada celebrates her identity more than her history. Our individual histories lead to a collective history that has what has made us what we are as a country. But what we are is what we focus on.

I attribute part of that to "melting pot" vs "cultural mosaic" - our individual Canadian histories do not need to be erased into one national identity - and as a drawback to that, America does have a more defined identity than one feels when one is in Canada.

Partially though, I think you notice American "stuff" more because you're a Canadian living in America. Some of the "white noise" of cultural identity growing up in Canada wouldn't have registered with you the same way as what you're seeing in America does now, with your adult eyes. It's kind of like what you see everyday you just take for granted.

My experience living in America has been that there are some rote memorizations applicable to most Americans, but really, when pressed, there's not much more that a reiterating of a generalized context of understanding? Kind of a shared common story? But not fully detailed? Think of the kinds of things most people would tell you about 1776 or Abraham Lincoln ... it's mostly basic, and similar in pattern person to person - no offense intended to my American friends.

What's more notable to me is that Americans (forgive the generalization) know SO LITTLE about the rest of the world. That's more surprising than their ability to tell me who the first president of the US was or when the US Constitution was signed.
    Last edited by PeaceBaby; 01-10-2012 at 10:08 AM.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Sniffles

Just read this article concerning American and Canadian interpretations of the War of 1812; is Canada planning anything to commermorate the bicentennial?

Sniffles

Thanks.