User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I find the average American to be disappointingly lacking in knowledge of American history.
    Nobody ever wanted to be average

Being average is truly abhorrent

Americans want to excel

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Ok, I probably shouldn't have said "has to" but it does benefit the country to instill a sense of pride in its citizens and carry on that practice. I wasn't comparing it to Canada at all, but I think that Usehername is probably not surrounded by the average American because most of them know virtually nothing about American history or politics in any detail. Canada also isn't the hegemon and hasn't overtly faced as many threats during the lifetime of most of its current citizens and has 10% of the population. They also had no war of independence in the same sense that we did.
    I'm an educated and curious person, and here are the prime ministers I can name:

John A. McDonald
    Trudeau
    Cretien
    Harper
    And until I was pretty old I thought Winston Churchill was a Canadian prime minister.

Which provinces were first? No idea.

When was my home province established? No idea.

When I was 16 I asked my read-every-book-ever-written librarian grandmother when Canada was formed and she said 1876. I didn't know, and her answer was wrong.

Americans all say they don't know their history . . . but they know their history.

I think you make legitimate points about us having less of a moment of independence, which probably explains some differences.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

consider that the time that might have been spent learning statistics about long-dead people was instead (hopefully) spent learning things that are actually relevant to our lives today.

I think history taught in schools would be a lot better/more interesting/more relevant if it focused more on what happened where and why rather than mostly when and who did it.
    -end of thread-

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I studied Australian History in year 12 and I could not name all our Prime Ministers, I'd have no clue, what is focused on is events of significance and lets face it, some leaders are neither inclined to make a mark, or do not have the circumstances arise that enable them to leave a mark. When it comes to Australian History there is a lot more richness in learning about the Aboriginal culture before and during British invasion, as well as the geography of the country and how the major cities developed.

We don't have a constitution or pledge, simply our National Anthem, of which no one knows the second verse.

What Random suggested in knowing "what happened where and why" was my experience in year 12, but I loved history so took on two subjects of it, without that the history taught in general studies throughout school was relatively shallow and with the exception of the discovery of Australia by white folk and colonisation by convicts, somewhat recent.

But then we're 100 years younger than white history in the US.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

thread unlocked. maybe one day that glitch will be fixed, lol.
    -end of thread-

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I haven't been able to find the video online, but there was a CBC survey on university campuses across Canada, and the basic consensus was an utter fail of knowledge about Canada's history.
    Same thing is true with American students.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    You're making my point for me. What kind of nine-year-old should be able to name anything historical? The only history class Canadians have is in grade 11. By @Kasper's post, it sounds like theirs is around the same time or later.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Sniffles

You're making my point for me.
    So the fact Americans are doing poorly in history courses is proof that they know history?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    So the fact Americans are doing poorly in history courses is proof that they know history?
    Do you just create for fun? We're not in an enthocentric American thread talking about the value of history from an American worldview with American assumptions, we're talking globally. From this thread, we see that Australians don't know the second verse of their national anthem. Canadians can't tell you the year their nation was born. Would any of these common occurrences in other countries be a common occurrence in America? No. And that is because Americans know and celebrate their history.
    C.S. Lewis

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Americans all know their gazillion presidents from memory.
    I doubt most can name more than the past three and whoever is on the money.

They can tell you all sorts of details about important historical moments in the formation of their nation.
    They can probably say something about a "Boston tea party" but not place its significance in the historical narrative. Ask the average American about Saratoga or Yorktown or the larger European war that grew out of the American revolution or the Articles of Confederation.

There are American flags in every single American classroom I have ever seen. And I don't know how common this one is, but the American constitution is on the wall of every single classroom I've taught in and been a student in.
    White noise.