User Tag List

12 Last

Smile The US military leads the way

The US miltary leads the way.

Yes, Major Petaeus was ordered by his commanding officer to write a dissenting report on every decision his commander made.

At first the Major found this difficult because it was against everything he had been taught. So his commanding officer explained to him that dissent made it possible to correct mistakes.

So when David Petraeus became General Petraeus he encouraged dissent to his own decisions.

And interestingly General Petaeus encouraged dissent from an Australian expert in counterinsurgency, David John Kilcullen F.R.G.S., and together thay wrote the US Counterinsurgency Handbook.

So we can do no less here and follow the lead of the US military and encourage dissent.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Encouraging dissent is a good idea because the US military has adopted it?

Dissent

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Encouraging dissent is a good idea because the US military has adopted it?
    Well, it came as a suprise to me.

And credit where credit is due. If the US military can change at the highest level, I think it is well worth following.

And also that an Australian, David Kilcullen, was part of the change in the US military is of interest to me.

And of even more interest is that General Petraeus is now the head of the CIA, and influencing all our lives.

And who would've thought we would be taking of the CIA and dissent in the same breath?

And we now know that dissent is a vital part of correcting mistakes. And that is why we should value dissent here - dissent against astrology, dissent against MBTI, dissent against Carl Jung, dissent against group bullying and dissent against vulgarity.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Well, it came as a suprise to me.

And credit where credit is due. If the US military can change at the highest level, I think it is well worth following.

And also that an Australian, David Kilcullen, was part of the change in the US military is of interest to me.

And of even more interest is that General Petraeus is now the head of the CIA, and influencing all our lives.

And who would've thought we would be taking of the CIA and dissent in the same breath?

And we now know that dissent is a vital part of correcting mistakes. And that is why we should value dissent here - dissent against astrology, dissent against MBTI, dissent against Carl Jung, dissent against group bullying and dissent against vulgarity.
    Victor all this post amounts to is a plea that you dont feel your opinions are valued and they really ought to be.

If someone doesnt agree with or value your opinions surely they are a dissenter precisely as a consequence. Or is it agreement rather than dissent that you want? Or just the right sort of "dissent"?

Victor all this post amounts to is a plea that you dont feel your opinions are valued and they really ought to be.

If someone doesnt agree with or value your opinions surely they are a dissenter precisely as a consequence. Or is it agreement rather than dissent that you want? Or just the right sort of "dissent"?
    Of course I am delighted to hear dissent against my opinions. I encourage dissent against my opinions. In fact my opinions are couched in such a way, as you may have noticed, as to elict dissent.

And we only have to look at the evidence in front of us. Most here disagree with me most of the time.

I do though appreciate principled dissent. And I also appreciate dissent in good taste. However I do tolerate unprincipled dissent, and I tolerate vulgar dissent.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Of course I am delighted to hear dissent against my opinions. I encourage dissent against my opinions. In fact my opinions are couched in such a way, as you may have noticed, as to elict dissent.

And we only have to look at the evidence in front of us. Most here disagree with me most of the time.

I do though appreciate principled dissent. And I also appreciate dissent in good taste. However I do tolerate unprincipled dissent, and I tolerate vulgar dissent.
    I think you're a narcissist.

I think you're a narcissist.
    I thought so too. So I did two tests for narcissism at the Psychology Department of the Australian National University - one test from Europe and one from America. And to my surprise I scored low on narcissism on both tests. So we will have to look elsewhere to discover my neurosis.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

The painfully obviouse. It looks like common sense but the comman man has no sense.
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    INTP

Basic military strategy.

I fail to see how the US is "leading the way" here. This is something students at military academies have been doing for thousands of years.

Physical and Moral Courage

Quote Originally Posted by giegs View Post
    Basic military strategy.

I fail to see how the US is "leading the way" here. This is something students at military academies have been doing for thousands of years.
    Ever since we created standing armies we have taught our soldiers to obey orders in the face of the enemy.

This has created soldiers with physical courage but neglected moral courage.

And it is moral courage that is necessary to operate a professional, modern army.