User Tag List

123 Last

Default 15 y.o. girl pretends to be a 21y.o. Colombian illegal; gets deported, then returned

The harrowing journey of the girl who called herself Tika Cortez

Jakadrien Turner's lies last year to authorities in Texas -- including adopting an alter ego and claiming she was from Colombia -- set off a harrowing journey that, according to posts on a Facebook page featuring photographs of her, she seemed to later regret.

By Friday, the troubled teenager was finally back in the United States, after being arrested and then deported to a country that she'd never been in before. It was a months-long escapade that has her family asking questions about how she got to the South American nation and what happened to her while there.

The attorney representing the Turner family said that the U.S. government is to blame, not the girl, for her deportation.

"I don't buy that she had the wherewithal to be able to bamboozle the government," Ray Jackson says. "You know, kids are scared when they get around authorities. ... To think that you could bamboozle them to create a new identity, it just doesn't make sense."
    Maybe she was inspired by James Frey and the Barefoot Bandit...?

Basically, her family blames the U.S. government for failing to uncover her true identity, as well as two unidentified and unconfirmed Colombian men in Houston, TX for coercing her while she was a runaway.

Where should the blame lie?
    Last edited by iwakar; 01-07-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: typo
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

So what?
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I'd say mostly with the girl.

Did she try to come clean when they told her she was going to be deported?

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I'd say mostly with the girl.

Did she try to come clean when they told her she was going to be deported?
    Apparently not >>
    A U.S. immigration official -- who was not able to speak for attribution, because the investigation is ongoing -- said that that the girl then known as Tika Cortez waived her right to an immigration attorney and did not fight deportation proceedings.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Reading the comment section of the article is literally making me ill. Seriously, it's astounding just how cruel and pathetic people can be, and to think that these 'people' are considered innocent civilians with rights and peace, by all means they really should be dead. It really pains me how these people will often say how a minor should be kept from committing certain actions due to the fact that they're not old enough to be held fully responsible for certain actions, and then blame the girl of this story as someone whom is 100% responsible for what she did and subsequently deserving of the consequences that arrived as a result of her actions. It's a god damn motherfucking double standard.

Now while the girl of the story did commit to these actions supposedly on her own, I would not entirely hold it against given the simple premises that 1. She's a child, 2. She clearly has severe emotional issues, and 3. Given premise 1 and 2 she probably isn't capable of making rational decisions. Personally I think she needs to see a psychiatrist and get some help, but overall I hope that she's able to attain some level of safety and peace.

Now while this might also seem like an error on part of the government, it was mentioned in the article how no red flags came up during her police custody and that all procedures were simply done in the process of how they're suppose to be done.

Overall neither competent in this issue can be solely to blame for what happened; this is just one of those occurrences where many unique circumstances form together that result in something terrible happening, and playing the blame game isn't going to solve anything or do any sort of tangible good.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    So what?
    You don't think that a 15 year old girl being deported because of a false identity is socially important or derserving of attention?

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    You don't think that a 15 year old girl being deported because of a false identity is socially important or derserving of attention?
    not really.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I probably shouldn't be shocked, but I am that the US government could be so easily fooled. How can we expect them to identify terrorists when they can't even identify a 15 year old runaway? Pathetic. The people responsible for this should be fired because they're clearly incompetent.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Her family is retarted if they blame the government. Government isnt some all knowing god that can magically identify people who dont want to be indentified.. lol

It was the girls choise to do what she did.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Government isnt some all knowing god that can magically identify people who dont want to be indentified.. lol

I'am Usama Bin Laden, and i agree with that post.

It was the girls choise to do what she did.
    Yeah.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%