User Tag List

123 Last

Default Are Anti-Obesity Ads Stigmatizing Kids?

HLN Article

Ad Image

An in-your-face ad campaign aimed at ending Georgia's childhood obesity epidemic is hitting some nerves. Some of the controversial ads are almost hard to watch, and people are reacting strongly.

The messages have been condemned by the Obesity Action Coalition, which wrote a strongly worded statement decrying the campaign for ideas that “greatly promote the negative stigma, weight bias and bullying often associated with obesity and childhood obesity.”

“While we agree with the Georgia Children’s Health Alliance that a need for increased awareness centered on childhood obesity is great, we absolutely condemn the imagery, content and focus of the campaign,” the group said in a statement.

On the Facebook page for the "Strong4Life" campaign some have called the advertisements insensitive. Preston S. wrote:
    Let's start a campaign that singles out ALL people unemployed. Because everyone that is unemployed is lazy and its their fault. It has nothing to do with factors outside of their control. Just like being overweight and obese has nothing to do with heredity or socio economic status. Let's have real pictures of unemployed people with ‘I am worthless’ or ‘I am just a lazy piece of crap’. Sounds like it would work.
    The tough-love approach has its fans too. Teowai R. wrote:
    I think this is a great campaign. Its aimed at parents. They have to face the reality that what they feed their kids is affecting more than just their appetite.
    Do you think the ads cross the line? Or do you think too many people really are "sugarcoating" the problem? Have you struggled, or watched a child you love struggle, with being overweight?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

A window to the soul

I don't see anything wrong with the ad you posted.

The ad appears to have double meaning; one evokes compassion.

Before someone rants at me for "attacking" overweight people (I already know where this is going.) I see the situation of anorexic/bulimic people as essentially similar to those who are overweight. And before you rant at me, I'm skinny. I have the exact opposite problem these guys have. I control myself too well. Though I am not delusional like anorexic/bulimic people. I know I have to gain weight.

When people shoot down the portion sizes to cater for you, it makes my job that much harder.

------------------------------------
    Yes, I think people have been sugar-coating obesity for way to long.

I mean, you see people who are either anorexic or bulimic being stigmatized quite easily. Once you hear someone telling someone else to lose some weight. It becomes something of either 1: What's your problem 2: You're insensitive or 3: I am proud to be fat. (why would I be proud to be fat? I don't know.)

When people tell me that I am skinny, I know I am skinny, and I know I need to eat more. It ain't because I'm proud to be skinny, but it is because I believe that I'll be a healthier individual just by gaining some weight. It is really the same principle for those who are "overweight." When I start hearing someone say they are proud to be skinny or fat, it is just a whole lot of excuse to escape the problem, which is their inability to take control of or over-control their own body. And this, in turn, they suffer because of it.

Those who are anorexic are TOO good at controlling their bodies. This can lead to problems like malnutrition. People often tell me at how they wished they had my ability. Quite frankly, I would trade this ability the second I could be able to gain weight. When you hear of anorexic or bulimic kids, you see them being forced fed to keep themselves from being way underweight. It is in the kids face. Doctors take strict measures, keeping a close watch on the kid (from trying to vomit) limiting the kids activities (so the kid doesn't exercise half to death with no food,) force feeding by tube or through injection. It is all in the name of making sure the kid is doing well and don't die due to malnourishment.

Likewise, those that are overweight are NOT good enough in controlling their bodies. And most people know being overweight can lead to diabetes and obesity... (duh.) I really do not wish for a kid to suffer going through diabetes (and being unable to eat the food he/she enjoys) or any other complications because another person believe it was alright for the kid to stuff himself. It is delusional thinking just like anorexic people who are ok with losing as much weight as possible and remain at a low weight as possible.

Something else I noticed. OTC medicine to help gain weight are practically non-existent (while OTC drugs to lose weight is practically everywhere)
    ------------------------------------------

Basically, no. It has not cross the line.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

i wonder how a fat girl looking at that feels. Probably feel like a discussting peice of trash. What a wonderful add
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    INTP

It's a problem that needs to be addressed. But I'm not sure they needed to use those pictures. It makes me feel bad for the children used in the ads.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    xNTJ
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
    i wonder how a fat girl looking at that feels. Probably feel like a discussting peice of trash. What a wonderful add
    And if they feel this way they'll probably eat more. Irony.

I think the ad's are useless. The only person that can change themselves, is themselves and the over eating is both cultural and usually a form of coping. Treat those two first. More money wasted here.

What I get tired of is corporations and government thinking they need to help people, with depression, with anxiety, with weight. People have dealt with worse and figured it out, it's not like we're dealing with some cervical cancer or beubonic plague. It's another outlet for people to think they have control if they talk about stuff more but do nothing. If you're so overweight you can't go up the steps without having to stop and catch your breath, and you don't see that as a problem, by all means...keep going. When has an ad actually done the real work.

xNTJ (other type; INTP 88%)
    Extroverted (E) 50%% Introverted (I) 50%%
    Intuitive (N) 90% Sensing (S) 10%
    Thinking (T) 90% Feeling (F) 10%
    Judging (J) 90% Percieving (J) 10%

MBTI
    IsFJ

Two points:

1) Women in general are held to pretty elusive standards in our society (although I do think we're being more mindful of that). You're either too skinny or too fat, and the miraculous "golden mean" is not really defined in a tangible way, IMO. I also find myself surprised by what some people consider "fat", particularly in women...

2) I think these ads kind of miss the point. It's not supposed to be about weight or physical shape - it's supposed to be about health. Weight does reflect that to an extent, but weight loss is not supposed to be the ultimate objective of exercise and good dietary habits.

Just my 2¢.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Quote Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
    And if they feel this way they'll probably eat more. Irony.

I think the ad's are useless. The only person that can change themselves, is themselves and the over eating is both cultural and usually a form of coping. Treat those two first. More money wasted here.

What I get tired of is corporations and government thinking they need to help people, with depression, with anxiety, with weight. People have dealt with worse and figured it out, it's not like we're dealing with some cervical cancer or beubonic plague. It's another outlet for people to think they have control if they talk about stuff more but do nothing. If you're so overweight you can't go up the steps without having to stop and catch your breath, and you don't see that as a problem, by all means...keep going. When has an ad actually done the real work.
    There is money to be made bro! too bad the people runnign the show are complete idiots that don't actually deserve that position. They take in stimulus money, make it seem like they are trying to help and the rest of the money gets stuffed in their pockets. This world is messed.
    1+1=3 OMFG

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    It's a problem that needs to be addressed. But I'm not sure they needed to use those pictures. It makes me feel bad for the children used in the ads.
    Agreed. Obesity, and particularly childhood obesity are a serious problem, particularly in the deep south. Education and awareness are a large part of the problem, but so is regional culture, so is healthy family functionality, and so is socioeconomic status because it restricts access to healthy food options geographically (bad neighborhoods) and financially (can't afford fresh meats/produce, but can afford Little Debbie's and Doritos). And don't get me started on the state of the economy which equals reduced school funding which equals junk food vending machines in schools because they need the cash.

Also, I question the effectiveness of the ads, as well as the impact on the individual children featured. This is a one trick pony for a three-ring circus problem.

Know what I'd like to see? Horticultural classes available at local community centers and in the schools, to teach kids/adults about where their food comes from and how to grow it for themselves. I think that'd be awesome. They could have seasonal competitions at the schools for best fruits and veggies or something. That'd be awesome. Even if the parents are working two jobs and can't make the time for an extracurricular endeavor, you can count on the kids being 1) competitive and 2) curious. It's worth trying anyway.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    yupp

those ads don't make me want to stop childhood obesity.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so