User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    This was me as a kid as well... I doubt that the junk food has got that much junkier.
    I don't think you're accounting for the increase in portions. Little Debbie's oatmeal creme pies are a good example. They used to be small and I think 12 in a pack. Not only can you buy them super-size now (double size), you can buy them in econo-pack (double quantity) for pretty damn cheap.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    I'd like to know what the hell they're putting in food these days.

Because when I was a kid, this was my typical diet:

Breakfast: 3 bowls of Captain Crunch (and sprinkled sugar on top) or toaster waffles buttered on both sides
    Snacks: Lunchables, chips and 2 candy bars
    Lunch: School lunch + 2 packages of Hostess cupcakes
    Snacks: a milkshake and more chips
    Dinner: Taco Bell, Burger King, McDonalds or Panda Express
    Bedtime snack: a bunch of slim jims, and cake

This was every day. I also didn't exercise, because my biological parents would not let me outside as a little kid, because they assumed people were just WAITING to kidnap me.

And I was never fat...always skinny.

I thought kids had fast metabolisms by default, so there must be something going on with the food supply...hmm...
    Haven't eaten like that, don't think I ever will. They generally do have better metabolisms compared to older people, but they also have lower calorie needs than older people. If anything, it is like comparing the calories needs of a woman and man (both same age and same height.) The man in most cases will need more than the woman to gain weight.

If I was to eat a 3k "diet" and someone around 12 years old eat a 3k "diet" there is a likely chance the kid will grow really big in a short while.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtledove View Post
    So wait, there aren't any creative people in the graphic design department for the organization to come up with anything better?! They must be some insensitive graphic designers and some boring, lazy ones at that to make a gray portrait with a bold, typical company red. I think a complaint to the organization should be, or is, in affect. I agree with Lexicon on the posters, billboards, etc. should be fun and encouraging to get the message across. Heck, I think what would be awesome inspiration would be to draw from those strong, bold retro signs like Rosie the Riveter. They hardly make signs like that anymore.
    What is the message being sent? How are you sending it? Are they trying to make this topic fun and creative? That is what a graphic designer do. They create based on certain criterias. And believe it or not, their creativity are set on "rigid" like guidelines (biggest difference between getting an art degree and a graphic design degree.) They work their creativity around guidelines, fine artists (and the like) generally see that as confining.

Making a message like obesity sound fun gives the wrong impression and the wrong signal. Since when is obesity fun? Since when has obesity made a person feel happy? Since when has using fanciful letterings and numbers on this topic making it better? I can completely change this to an "America wants you to be fit" poster with your standard red, white, and blue colors and the meaning would have completely been lost on what this poster board is saying. Yes, it would be telling the children to exercise, but the message would of been lost. Likewise, using pink to denote this picture gives the wrong impression. It ain't race for the cure, people! Colors attract notice. The dull grey with the active red makes you look between the two. You seeing "Warning" and this picture of a "obese" girl and it makes you assume. It is grim, but that is the poster's intention, not some fanciful Rosie the Riveter.

Now, if you were to say that the ad was ill-intentioned in that a Rosie the Riveter type ad would be better suited for this type of place to get kids to be active and be strong, I would agree. But again, what was the intention of the poster?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I don't think you're accounting for the increase in portions. Little Debbie's oatmeal creme pies are a good example. They used to be small and I think 12 in a pack. Not only can you buy them super-size now (double size), you can buy them in econo-pack (double quantity) for pretty damn cheap.
    True there is that part, and the too-common "okay fine you can have it as long as you don't waste it" dynamic that happens with kids and junk food. Let's see, would a 7 year old rather eat steamed broccoli for the 50th time by itself or get to eat a giant slice of chocolate cake afterwards even with the stomachache that follows?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

A lot of the problem is the negative associations that a lot of kids end up having with healthy eating and exercise. All the junk foods are like rockstars in the commercials and in the cartoons it's like "ewwww vegetables they're scary but I have to eat them just because my parents want me to," when in reality if you prepare healthy foods in a decent way they should be at least as tasty, if not more so, than a lot of the junk out there. And then there's mandatory physical education, ruining kids impression of exercise since practically the beginning of time It takes a lot to overcome that association with exercise as "that special time when I get poked fun at for my weakness by a scary lady with a whistle telling me to not be so lazy, get hit in the face with the ball on a regular basis, and otherwise look like a exhausted, inept, and injured dork in front of my friends."

Ginkgo

Yeah even if one chooses to eat smaller portions of a product that essentially has identical nutrition per unit, the product will have a shorter lifespan in the kitchen, forcing people to consume it more quickly. People tend to take more when they see more for the taking.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    That's what I was thinking. There's got to be some way to get the message across without humiliating overweight kids. They already get stigmatized enough as it is. I would think such an ad might make things worse.

You must have an unusually fast metabolism. Most people who eat like this everyday would probably have a weight problem.
    Well obviously it was what you were thinking, because it's ironic and your name is suchironey. And yes it is obviouse that it is a stupid add. But I wonder if most people are already so twisted that they don't notice it. This is definitly an attack to the moral. What a society we have on our hands
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    yupp

my brother and I raised in the same household ate the same dinners, we both ate a balance of healthy and junk food we ate the whole grain bread he was overweight and I was skinny as a rail. so same diet two kids different results
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Love the ideas iwakar and Saturned are coming up with. I think maybe going back to required PE classes (as much as I hated them!) and a required nutrition/cooking class at least two out of the four years of high school would go a long way towards helping, too.
    A friend of mine and I have spent a lot of time discussing this. We even thought about turning it into a business. We noticed that the 'cookie cutter' type of nutrition simply doesn't work for everyone. It's also a great deal to tackle and many people don't even know where to start. I think a lot of people would like to be healthier and feel better but finding the entry point AND developing a system that can be quickly put into auto-pilot status can be very difficult.

Our plan involved going to people, getting them to track their diets, and then educate them about listening to their individual needs. What did they crave to eat? What made them feel satisfied? What made them feel sick (surprisingly, a lot of people crave the foods that are very bad for them)? But that's not enough. You have to teach people how to shop and cook. What kind of resources do they have? Too busy to cook most days? Limited budget? No farmer's markets nearby? Solutions involved things like rearranging a kitchen to make cooking in it more efficient, exploring container gardening, making sure you have the right kinds of kitchen tools, locating the best sources for that families needs, showing them how to cook things they would actually want to eat, etc. We'd find out what would work for that family and try to make it as easy as possible.

I don't find the ad particularly offensive but silly. Seems to be focused on promoting change because you don't want to look fat as opposed to the health benefits.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I dont think when you've got an epidemic that the softly, soflty approach is a good idea so I think the campaign is fine.

Fat kids dont need to an ad campaign to spark bullying or self-esteem issues, they will alreayd be happening, I was bullied at primary and secondary school for being over weight, I had self-esteem issues too, at secondary school the PE teacher was even one of the bullies but did so in a subtle and suttle fashion which I knew and he knew he could plausibly pass off as health education, advice or concerns for my wellbeing (he also punched me in the head at one point so I'm not ambivalent about the fact that the guy didnt much like me).

The only solution for me was losing weight, which I did through a very simple diet, a great deal of diversion from thinking about food, lots of additional exercise over the summer out walking with friends and a growth spurt which resulted in my getting taller. Someone fought with me because they'd not lost weight and I had and they were jealous but that was all.

Considering some of the ad campaigns I've seen about cigarrette smoking I think this is a big mild actually.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    my brother and I raised in the same household ate the same dinners, we both ate a balance of healthy and junk food we ate the whole grain bread he was overweight and I was skinny as a rail. so same diet two kids different results
    The thing is, prpl, do you eat the same amount of food as your brother? Just because you eat the same types of food doesn't mean you eat as much as him. Example? My older sibling and I both like eating shrimp. I gobble the shrimp faster than he can because it is the one type of food that I really like. I am still skinny. However, both of us also like chicken prepared a similar way. Depending on which and what way it is prepared, he eats twice as fast as me when it comes to chicken.

Certain vegetables? Same thing, but he tends to avoid the types of vegetables and fruits I like,tomatoes and bell peppers particularly, and I'll instantly take them if he doesn't want them.

Even with the same foods, often times, one person usually eats more and the other person usually eats less.