User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    The problem is that the ad is targeted towards those who are sensitive, whether they be the children or the parents, overweight or not overweight. Consequentially, it seems more like bullying than anything else. They could have done better.
    The prime motivation is an unavoidable discussion. You bring upon something like this, it creates a bigger discussion. People see it, people talk about it, people debate about it.

It is what the abortion dudes in my campus do every single semester. Throw up signs in the middle of the campus with aborted babies to piss people off, to get sympathizers, to make people sick, etc. To make women who abort as evil-doers. This, to put it bluntly, is similar. It says, this is what YOU parents have done and this is what YOUR children have to suffer because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    I don't get the stigmatizing kid part; they are what they are, fat. I think the whole point of the ad is to arouse the curiousity of parents, teachers, and kids for knowledge. The notion that the ad is too blunt to cultivate action is crazy talk. It's an "attention getter" doing what attention getters do best, get attention!

EDIT: Somebody acknowledge my posts dammit. I feel lost.
    You got ahead of me

Attention isn't the same as action-taking.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Attention isn't the same as action-taking.
    But it can get people to take some form of action.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    It is what the abortion dudes in my campus do every single semester. Throw up signs in the middle of the campus with aborted babies to piss people off, to get sympathizers, to make people sick, etc. To make women who abort as evil-doers. This, to put it bluntly, is similar. It says, this is what YOU parents have done and this is what YOUR children have to suffer because of it.
    I get this but I just don't like what it does to the children. They see this.

BTW, I liked your first post in this thread where you pointed out how people have no problems railing on skinny people.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post

BTW, I liked your first post in this thread where you pointed out how people have no problems railing on skinny people.
    I've never been railed on for being skinny, except by this one guy in first and second grade but he was skinnier than me, so now it's just funny to think about
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    But it can get people to take some form of action.
    Sure, it might. To me this is as effective as putting those graphic images of black lungs on cigarette packs. Sure, it'll grab your attention, but it's got nothing on a comprehensive plan, polacrilex gum/lozenges, and an Rx from a physician.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I think education is indeed an important factor. It's the old game of micro level vs macro level. Nobody puts a gun to your head and forces you to eat junk, but there are strong correlations between education and socio-economic status on the one hand and health/nutritian on the other.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIwrV5e6fMY"]Jame Oliver on healthy eating and childhood obecity[/YOUTUBE]
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

@NerdGirl, yes, they are what they are, and something needs to be done to bring attention to the problem. But children internalize things like this and it affects their self-esteem. An adult could handle an obesity campaign like this, but a kid seeing a campaign like this is likely to develop a complex or intense self-esteem issues. Kids are already prone to thinking something's wrong with them. Adults need to be made aware of the dangers of childhood obesity, but I don't think this is necessarily the way it should be done.

And we really can't ignore the economic issues at work here. A parent working a couple of jobs to feed multiple kids, who doesn't really have the time or resources to prepare healthy, fresh meals, is much more likely to have an obese child. Yes, it's possible to eat a plant-based diet relatively inexpensively, but it requires a lot of time and education. It's much, much easier to drive your kid through McDonald's, or to get some frozen dinners, or to buy a big pack of chicken thighs and fry them up, since they're a quick and cheap source of protein. All of those things are much more readily available, too. It's really a bit of a luxury in today's world to eat healthily.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    you getting mad on going on a tirade doesn't change the fact that people are poorly educated when it comes to food. I think nutrition courses in highschool and college should be required personally
    I'm angry? I went on a tirade? That's news to me. Thanks for informing me.

Ignorance does not absolve parents of responsibility. Raising children is not a hobby. Actually...people often know more about their hobbies than they do about raising children. Maybe if raising children was a hobby, parenting quality would increase.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I'm angry? I went on a tirade? That's news to me. Thanks for informing me.
    you're welcome

oh and i wasn't excusing them, i was just saying they're probably not educated either and it's hard to teach someone something you don't know yourself.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so