User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I really think it was, and we're seeing the effects. Increased need for technology (and keyboarding classes at younger ages), as well as a focus on standardized testing and a lack of educational funding, period, have made things like PE classes, cursive writing and arts classes fall by the wayside. The system is failing in a major way, and needs to be overhauled...but I doubt the powers that be will be able to agree on how to fix it. I've even heard certain districts have done away with recess in an effort to fit in some extra classtime. Hopefully the childhood obesity epidemic will make folks realize that PE and recess aren't things we can afford to lose. Child or adult, very few are getting their exercise once they're home. Heck, I didn't even play outside that much when I was a kid. Thank goodness for my much-hated PE classes!
    People thought we'd get a bunch of fat readers. They were partly right. We got a bunch of fat, tech-savvy, literary-dilletantes.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Quote Originally Posted by bluestripes View Post
    the problem is that people would are called fat, or refer to themselves as such may be far from being medically overweight (or obese). when most women say that, they seem to judge themselves not by what weight would be healthy for them, or not, but by the body image promoted by the mass media. and that doesn’t have to be healthy at all. many fashion models are medically underweight, starved, in other words, and some use stimulants or other substances that help wear down their bodies and eliminate their sense of hunger. so if someone says “i am fat” i would put a huge bold question mark as to what (s)he really means. unless one actually sees that person or finds out their weight/height ratio, there is no objective means of telling.

if what they want to say is “i do not look like an auschwitz victim and i feel good about that no matter what you think”, well, then i suppose i am fat too and yes, i am proud of it – though perhaps proud is not the right word. “thankful that i don’t have at least that sort of issue” might be better.

as a person with an eating disorder, i suppose you know this. i was just surprised you would generalize the way you did.
    I see that. For some people who think they are fat, it is really not the case. In fact, it is actually "beneficial" to be slightly above the normal BMI than being in the normal or lower range. But that only works to a certain degree.

When women tell me that they are fat, the first thing I tell them is that they aren't (because most of the ones I have met really aren't even considered fat.) It is only when they take it to an extreme that I truly worry. I sometimes even show them my own arm and tell them how I wished I was that "fat."

I generalize it that way because I hear it constantly wherever I go. It is just more likely that women are the ones to say it versus men.

Quote Originally Posted by bluestripes View Post
    not necessarily. it might be that, or it could be a serious metabolic disorder, or poverty (e.g., one can afford potatoes, cereals and white bread, but not meat or green vegetables), or both. if it is a metabolic condition, it has to be addressed first and foremost, because, if one just shows such a person an ad like this and tells them that it is themselves who are being lazy and/or a glutton and that it is all their FAULT - which is not true - all this is going to produce is depression and feelings of helplessness. and the person will be at risk of starving themselves to a dangerous point and developing anaemia, vitamin deficiencies and other additional health problems apart from the one they already have.

(i know one person who is seriously overweight despite eating four or five times less than i do and being anaemic, and another who eats as much as myself on a good day and is stick-thin and emaciated. none of this is about control over one's body – but all three of us have completely different metabolisms).
    Here's how I see it, the person has the "right" to put what he wants in his mouth and his stomach (as for what laws allow it.) In the same token, the person has the right to slightly restrict what would be detrimental to their health. A diabetic person does not eat a ton of foods that would increase sugar levels, this is ESPECIALLY true if the person has Type 1 diabetes no matter where you live in the U.S. It is the same token for someone who has Celiac Disease, it may be a condition, but a condition where the user chooses to make the best of it and NOT eat food containing gluten products. Likewise, a person who puts the blame on metabolism can also make due with what he has. It means that for the person with lower metabolism, unfortunately, it means to work around that metabolism. Our metabolism changes ever so slightly as we age, it is only right to change as our metabolism changes. For those who retain fat easier than most people? It means to limit the fat intake that is token every day just as a diabetic person limits the amount of sugar thrown into the system every day.

My family has a risk of diabetes (considering a parent of mine has it.) She (and a sibling of mine) tells me every day to watch what kind of food I eat, because having a family history of diabetes means a higher chance of the younger generations (like me) of getting diabetes as I grow older.

If I don't want diabetes, I'd BETTER watch what I eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I really think it was, and we're seeing the effects. Increased need for technology (and keyboarding classes at younger ages), as well as a focus on standardized testing and a lack of educational funding, period, have made things like PE classes, cursive writing and arts classes fall by the wayside. The system is failing in a major way, and needs to be overhauled...but I doubt the powers that be will be able to agree on how to fix it. I've even heard certain districts have done away with recess in an effort to fit in some extra classtime. Hopefully the childhood obesity epidemic will make folks realize that PE and recess aren't things we can afford to lose. Child or adult, very few are getting their exercise once they're home. Heck, I didn't even play outside that much when I was a kid. Thank goodness for my much-hated PE classes!
    My recess playing ways took a nose-dive after elementary school.

I've actually LOVE P.E. as one of my favorite course in both middle and high school. Probably one of the courses I liked the most considering I took P.E. of some sort for 4 straight years in high school (minimum being 2 years.)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
    And if they feel this way they'll probably eat more. Irony.

I think the ad's are useless. The only person that can change themselves, is themselves and the over eating is both cultural and usually a form of coping. Treat those two first. More money wasted here.

What I get tired of is corporations and government thinking they need to help people, with depression, with anxiety, with weight. People have dealt with worse and figured it out, it's not like we're dealing with some cervical cancer or beubonic plague. It's another outlet for people to think they have control if they talk about stuff more but do nothing. If you're so overweight you can't go up the steps without having to stop and catch your breath, and you don't see that as a problem, by all means...keep going. When has an ad actually done the real work.
    With adults, I would agree with you. With children, it's the fault of the parents for not teaching their children about a proper diet.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    With adults, I would agree with you. With children, it's the fault of the parents for not teaching their children about a proper diet.
    the problem with this, is a lot of parents don't know what a proper diet is
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I don't like it.

I do not condone a stick, a waif, a rag tag of bones - isnt that imagery more prolific in todays society - i include
    TV
    Movies
    Internet
    magazines
    Idiot blokes - they are very guilty the rascals T&A

In fact society in general as propagated by the inane and folks like the munchies naughy boy, an inane judgment and no imagery curious

Cant be doing with it.
    I love my cookies and cake

So I agree OP
    there are stigmato stupidity - excluded are mums who over feed, oh and all em mad gamers as per South park episode what was it called - who had a pretty darn good point
    I asked it once, "What are you doing on Earth?" It said, "Listen, if you're a mushroom, you live cheap; besides, I'm telling you, this was a very nice neighborhood until the monkeys got out of control."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    the problem with this, is a lot of parents don't know what a proper diet is
    It's still their responsibility. If you are an adult and you are going to raise a child, it is irresponsible to not know what to feed the child.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    It's still their responsibility. If you are an adult and you are going to raise a child, it is irresponsible to not know what to feed the child.
    you getting mad on going on a tirade doesn't change the fact that people are poorly educated when it comes to food. I think nutrition courses in highschool and college should be required personally
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    HLN Article

Ad Image
    The problem is that the ad is targeted towards those who are sensitive, whether they be the children or the parents, overweight or not overweight. Consequentially, it seems more like bullying than anything else. They could have done better.

A window to the soul

I don't get the stigmatizing kid part; they are what they are, fat. I think the whole point of the ad is to arouse the curiousity of parents, teachers, and kids for knowledge. The notion that the ad is too blunt to cultivate action is crazy talk. It's an "attention getter" doing what attention getters do best, get attention!

EDIT: Somebody acknowledge my posts dammit. I feel lost.