User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    my mom works with an organization that educates teens,children, and adults on healthier alternatives. there's even services around here where they'll go into the home and teach people how to cook quick and simple but healthy meals and educate them on the costs of fast food vs home cooked meals over the long run.
    Wow, I had no idea that existed. Is it state-run? local government? privately funded?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Wow, I had no idea that existed. Is it state-run? local government? privately funded?
    local government I believe and mostly by grants, they do a lot of research in obesity trying they've figured out early childhood diets can lead to obesity later in life especially what is eaten when in the womb and fed the first 3 years of life
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

local government I believe and mostly by grants, they do a lot of research in obesity trying they've figured out early childhood diets can lead to obesity later in life especially what is eaten when in the womb and fed the first 3 years of life
    ((lol, so I can blame my mother for these thighs and this addiction to chocolate chip cookies. :X ))

That is fantastic. Can you provide the name or website of the program?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTP

OMG I HATED PhysEd!! But now, I'm so glad I was forced to take it. It was a learning experience like everything else. As for Home Economics, I didn't have to take that past Junior High. The extracurriculars like that got swallowed alive by new technology courses in high school. Perhaps that shift was the beginning of the end back in the 90s and we didn't realize it.
    I really think it was, and we're seeing the effects. Increased need for technology (and keyboarding classes at younger ages), as well as a focus on standardized testing and a lack of educational funding, period, have made things like PE classes, cursive writing and arts classes fall by the wayside. The system is failing in a major way, and needs to be overhauled...but I doubt the powers that be will be able to agree on how to fix it. I've even heard certain districts have done away with recess in an effort to fit in some extra classtime. Hopefully the childhood obesity epidemic will make folks realize that PE and recess aren't things we can afford to lose. Child or adult, very few are getting their exercise once they're home. Heck, I didn't even play outside that much when I was a kid. Thank goodness for my much-hated PE classes!
    Something Witty

MBTI
    yupp

((lol, so I can blame my mother for these thighs and this addiction to chocolate chip cookies. :X ))

That is fantastic. Can you provide the name or website of the program?
    http://www.theurbanchildinstitute.org/

called tuci (pronouced too-kee) for short it's where my mom works

this is the study my mom is in charge of http://www.theurbanchildinstitute.or...research-study
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

http://www.theurbanchildinstitute.org/

called tuci (pronouced too-kee) for short it's where my mom works
    So is she involved with this CANDLE Research Study?

Wow, this is the sort of information I wish was disseminated more readily. They want 1500 women for the study and they give monetary compensation just for participating! That's fantastic.

MBTI
    yupp

So is she involved with this CANDLE Research Study?

Wow, this is the sort of information I wish was disseminated more readily. They want 1500 women for the study and they give monetary compensation just for participating! That's fantastic.
    yeah she is, they reached the 1500 back in December. right now they're worried about how they're going to get blood from 4yos
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

yeah she is, they reached the 1500 back in December. right now they're worried about how they're going to get blood from 4yos

Hrmm yeah. That's a much tougher sell.

MBTI
    yupp

Hrmm yeah. That's a much tougher sell.
    yup
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

A window to the soul

I think focusing on the aesthetic angle for children is shallow, confusing, and exploiting preexisting image insecurities. I don't like the idea of increasing hyper-awareness of physical appearance in kids. It's already a problem now and the results can be disastrous. Anorexia and bulimia anyone? The focus should be on health, knowledge, and self-confidence which can come from learning a valuable life skill and creating something for yourself --not how chubby you look in a turtleneck.
    Ah, but the ad does focus on health, knowledge, and self-confidence. Don't you see it? The ad quote is clever because it has both literal and figurative meaning that address both the outside (literal) and the inside (figurative). That's why I said it had double meaning in my earlier post.

Look at the expression on the girl's face in the ad, then read the quote (below). The figurative meaning of the quote is pretty profound and encompasses all of the stressors a little girl (agewise, not sizewise) shouldn't have to deal with, but because she's fat, she does have to deal with them.

One can only use their imagination to figure out what she's going through: maybe she doesn't have self-confidence due to the rejection from her peers, maybe she lacks stamina for sports like the other kids, maybe she doesn't have as much energy. There are so many possibilities as to why it's hard for her to be a little girl (agewise); all stemming from her weight.

"It's hard to be a little girl if you're not."