User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Hrmm in addition to those thoughts (Post #9), I like tackling the obesity epidemic from the perspective of promoting awareness, a healthy lifestyle, and feeling good overall.

I think focusing on the aesthetic angle for children is shallow, confusing, and exploiting preexisting image insecurities. I don't like the idea of increasing hyper-awareness of physical appearance in kids. It's already a problem now and the results can be disastrous. Anorexia and bulimia anyone? The focus should be on health, knowledge, and self-confidence which can come from learning a valuable life skill and creating something for yourself --not how chubby you look in a turtleneck.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm not sure if they're harmful, but they are very unlikely to be helpful. agree that addressing the cause is more productive than shaming the results.
    -end of thread-

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

They're not as harmful as heart attacks.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Hrmm in addition to those thoughts (Post #9), I like tackling the obesity epidemic from the perspective of promoting awareness, a healthy lifestyle, and feeling good overall.

I think focusing on the aesthetic angle for children is shallow, confusing, and exploiting preexisting image insecurities. I don't like the idea of increasing hyper-awareness of physical appearance in kids. It's already a problem now and the results can be disastrous. Anorexia and bulimia anyone? The focus should be on health, knowledge, and self-confidence which can come from learning a valuable life skill and creating something for yourself --not how chubby you look in a turtleneck.
    I like this.

I think an awareness campaign that gave help would be more productive. Help parents address the cause and their own concerns. Many parents are probably very concerned about money and food costs. Helping parents find healthy, but economical choicspes for meals and snacks could go a long way towards this issue.

Also help with the concept of starting off with small changes. Eat a lot of pasta? Change a night of pasta for quinoa for a few weeks, then change two meals, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I like this.

I think an awareness campaign that gave help would be more productive. Help parents address the cause and their own concerns. Many parents are probably very concerned about money and food costs. Helping parents find healthy, but economical choicspes for meals and snacks could go a long way towards this issue.

Also help with the concept of starting off with small changes. Eat a lot of pasta? Change a night of pasta for quinoa for a few weeks, then change two meals, etc.
    Notwithstanding the reality that most of our social services are completely overwhelmed, but devising an affordable meal plan customized to families would be fantastic. Perhaps they could have a seminar or a nutrition night provided at a public venue where parents can come and get some one-on-one time with nutritionists.

...now who do we tell these wonderful ideas to? lol
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Anew Leaf

Notwithstanding the reality that most of our social services are completely overwhelmed, but devising an affordable meal plan customized to families would be fantastic. Perhaps they could have a seminar or a nutrition night provided at a public venue where parents can come and get some one-on-one time with nutritionists.

perhaps some of the money allocated to ads (cha Ching) could be used towards community events where people could go and get information on nutritious foods. Beans and lentils are super super cheap and incredibly healthy... But who thinks of them if you didnt grow up with that food? I certainly didn't!

Hmm, maybe just send an email to the organization.

Positive reinforcement with tools for people to help people sounds better than these ads to me.

curiouser and curiouser bluestripes's Avatar
    MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram

“Do you think the ads cross the line? Or do you think too many people really are "sugarcoating" the problem? Have you struggled, or watched a child you love struggle, with being overweight?”

i haven’t struggled with this specific problem but i have been brought up by an anorexic parent. put it that way: it is NOT NICE.

i am trying to imagine how a person like that would react if they saw such ads, considering they are already delusional about being fat and their children also being fat (and ugly and doomed to social failure). i suppose i will be best off if i stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    I mean, you see people who are either anorexic or bulimic being stigmatized quite easily. Once you hear someone telling someone else to lose some weight. It becomes something of either 1: What's your problem 2: You're insensitive or 3: I am proud to be fat. (why would I be proud to be fat? I don't know.)
    the problem is that people would are called fat, or refer to themselves as such may be far from being medically overweight (or obese). when most women say that, they seem to judge themselves not by what weight would be healthy for them, or not, but by the body image promoted by the mass media. and that doesn’t have to be healthy at all. many fashion models are medically underweight, starved, in other words, and some use stimulants or other substances that help wear down their bodies and eliminate their sense of hunger. so if someone says “i am fat” i would put a huge bold question mark as to what (s)he really means. unless one actually sees that person or finds out their weight/height ratio, there is no objective means of telling.

if what they want to say is “i do not look like an auschwitz victim and i feel good about that no matter what you think”, well, then i suppose i am fat too and yes, i am proud of it – though perhaps proud is not the right word. “thankful that i don’t have at least that sort of issue” might be better.

as a person with an eating disorder, i suppose you know this. i was just surprised you would generalize the way you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Likewise, those that are overweight are NOT good enough in controlling their bodies.
    not necessarily. it might be that, or it could be a serious metabolic disorder, or poverty (e.g., one can afford potatoes, cereals and white bread, but not meat or green vegetables), or both. if it is a metabolic condition, it has to be addressed first and foremost, because, if one just shows such a person an ad like this and tells them that it is themselves who are being lazy and/or a glutton and that it is all their FAULT - which is not true - all this is going to produce is depression and feelings of helplessness. and the person will be at risk of starving themselves to a dangerous point and developing anaemia, vitamin deficiencies and other additional health problems apart from the one they already have.

(i know one person who is seriously overweight despite eating four or five times less than i do and being anaemic, and another who eats as much as myself on a good day and is stick-thin and emaciated. none of this is about control over one's body – but all three of us have completely different metabolisms).

other than that, i would agree with what you said. i think these are two sides of the same (sick) coin and i am not sure which is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    1) Women in general are held to pretty elusive standards in our society (although I do think we're being more mindful of that). You're either too skinny or too fat, and the miraculous "golden mean" is not really defined in a tangible way, IMO. I also find myself surprised by what some people consider "fat", particularly in women...
    exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    2) I think these ads kind of miss the point. It's not supposed to be about weight or physical shape - it's supposed to be about health. Weight does reflect that to an extent, but weight loss is not supposed to be the ultimate objective of exercise and good dietary habits.
    YES.

most of this has nothing to do with health. it is more about human being treated as, well, things, objects that someone wants to mold into a specific image. as if anyone has the right to dictate to a person what size or shape their body must be. there is a point after which health-related issues become altogether irrelevant because, if one sees a woman - i guess this is more about women, there doesn’t seem to be half the same problem with men - as nothing more than a living barbie doll, one should not be expected to feel any genuine concern for her well-being. at least, the media have no qualms about advertising a perfectly unhealthy body image and dubious or harmful products that can help attain it (such as certain medications intended for weight loss).
    "i love deadlines. i like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." (c) douglas adams

"there are only two ways to live your life. one is as though nothing is a miracle. the other is as though everything is a miracle." (c) albert einstein

"if only i could grow with my eyes - like these leaves - into the depth" (c) sergei esenin

"god is in the details" (c) proverb

MBTI
    INTP

Love the ideas iwakar and Saturned are coming up with. I think maybe going back to required PE classes (as much as I hated them!) and a required nutrition/cooking class at least two out of the four years of high school would go a long way towards helping, too.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    yupp

my mom works with an organization that educates teens,children, and adults on healthier alternatives. there's even services around here where they'll go into the home and teach people how to cook quick and simple but healthy meals and educate them on the costs of fast food vs home cooked meals over the long run.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Love the ideas iwakar and Saturned are coming up with. I think maybe going back to required PE classes (as much as I hated them!) and a required nutrition/cooking class at least two out of the four years of high school would go a long way towards helping, too.

OMG I HATED PhysEd!! But now, I'm so glad I was forced to take it. It was a learning experience like everything else. As for Home Economics, I didn't have to take that past Junior High. The extracurriculars like that got swallowed alive by new technology courses in high school. Perhaps that shift was the beginning of the end back in the 90s and we didn't realize it.