User Tag List

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Are Anti-Obesity Ads Stigmatizing Kids?

curiouser and curiouser Array bluestripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    A lot of the problem is the negative associations that a lot of kids end up having with healthy eating and exercise. All the junk foods are like rockstars in the commercials and in the cartoons it's like "ewwww vegetables they're scary but I have to eat them just because my parents want me to," when in reality if you prepare healthy foods in a decent way they should be at least as tasty, if not more so, than a lot of the junk out there.
    too true. i still have that aversion. it doesn't make me want to eat junk food much, because that too is bland and lacks something essential - even coming, as it does, from the opposite end of the spectrum - but whenever someone says "steamed vegetables/meat/fish", i imagine things that are less than edible. pork that has had its juices boiled out and tastes like the sole of an old boot. boiled broccoli or cauliflower that is either too sour from vinegar or lemon juice or smeared in a tiny quantity of sour cream which has curdled and dried on the surface. boiled silver hake with hardly any salt and no spices which resembles rubber to a remarkable degree. zucchini stew that has become a slimy, shapeless mass with no discernible taste. (i used to eat this anyway - sometimes i didn't notice, at other times it could be annoying or disgusting, but, more than anything else, i guess it was alarming because i knew exactly why my mother cooked like that).

i'm sure that many people can do much better such food. but these are the associations i have in spite of myself. i could easily see some parents trying to prepare healthier food with similar results - not because they are anorexic, but because they lack the required skills - so that their children develop similar reactions and become permanent customers at the local mcdonalds' (or other fast food outlet).

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    Corn syrup. And sugar addiction.
    Nobody ate such a carbo laden diet, in our grandparents day. Or great grandparents. I'm not in any position to be lecturing, but I battle with sugar addition everyday, and I have knowledge on my side. Some one who is less well read, well they won't understand why they are so damned hungry.
    Check out leptin research. My eyes were wide open after a life time of confusion.
    that, and lack of physical exertion. when my grandfather used to tell me how they lived back in the 1920s in rural russia, i had the impression that they needed twice or thrice the calorie intake we would consider normal. they ate a lot of wheat products (bread, pancakes), also starch-laden ones such as potatoes, but they seemed to burn it all off because they worked all the time. at least, the people who had more or less balanced metabolisms did. of course, some were still overweight, but it didn't seem to be as much of a problem as it is in urban areas today.

i wonder whether the changed quality of wheat products could be another factor. most wheat used nowadays is genetically modified and its nutrient content is not the same - there is more gluten and more substances that could cause obesity when consumed in larger quantities.

i'm not so sure that white bread is even manufactured in the same manner. i'm old enough to remember what bread used to taste like before the soviet union collapsed, and compared to that, what we have now is not "bread" at all. it has no flavor whatsoever and its texture is wrong. (grandfather used to call it a "sponge" and i would agree)

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Here's how I see it, the person has the "right" to put what he wants in his mouth and his stomach (as for what laws allow it.) In the same token, the person has the right to slightly restrict what would be detrimental to their health. A diabetic person does not eat a ton of foods that would increase sugar levels, this is ESPECIALLY true if the person has Type 1 diabetes no matter where you live in the U.S. It is the same token for someone who has Celiac Disease, it may be a condition, but a condition where the user chooses to make the best of it and NOT eat food containing gluten products. Likewise, a person who puts the blame on metabolism can also make due with what he has. It means that for the person with lower metabolism, unfortunately, it means to work around that metabolism. Our metabolism changes ever so slightly as we age, it is only right to change as our metabolism changes. For those who retain fat easier than most people? It means to limit the fat intake that is token every day just as a diabetic person limits the amount of sugar thrown into the system every day.
    that's true. i guess many people give up on themselves and on finding an optimum regimen (and a good balance between calorie intake and exercise levels) too easily - even though, as an aim, it is quite a realistic.
    "i love deadlines. i like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." (c) douglas adams

"there are only two ways to live your life. one is as though nothing is a miracle. the other is as though everything is a miracle." (c) albert einstein

"if only i could grow with my eyes - like these leaves - into the depth" (c) sergei esenin

"god is in the details" (c) proverb

NYC followed suit: anti-obesity ads pair soda, leg amputations

But it turns out the ads were photoshopped and the actor was upset when he found out because they were not up front with him about how the images would be doctored.

It looks like Disney is on the fat-shaming bandwagon, too. Article: Disney's fat-shaming fail

You wouldn’t think the people whose theme parks feature a binge-eating bear with a honey gut would put itself in the business of fat shaming, but that’s exactly what Disney did this month. In a boneheaded stab at promoting healthy lifestyle choices, the happiest place on earth became a considerably less hospitable environment when it debuted a new interactive “Habit Heroes” exhibit at Epcot. Guess who the villains were?

A collaboration between Disney and Blue Cross and Blue Shield to help teach kids to “fight bad habits,” the Epcot attraction and tie-in app and Web page featured buff, virtuous characters Will Power and Callie Stenics squaring off against nemeses like the lazy, grotesque “Lead Bottom” and the self-explanatorily named “Glutton.” Apparently, when a company famed for its meticulous crafting of exactly what children want and one of the largest health insurers in the nation pool their talents, they come up with “Fat people are bad.”
    "There is no god; there is only us. Savage and fragile."

Permabanned Array

It's about being healthy aka not dying until you're 80ish.

Being chubby as a kid has such little affect on this, seemingly. I say fatten your kids...or not. Whatever..
    As adults you get to make the decision to live healthily and hopefully make it to 80/90...or live on the fast side and die at 27.

The whole thing is just a waste of money...more important things to concentrate on. Like my moon base.