MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grande Muffin View Post
    You Americans,
    with your nra (powerful aint they, and your badly written constitution - which incidentally applies to days of yore for wiping said race of your chopice from histiory - curiously not allowing them to arm em-selves to the teeth),lobbyists, financers etc.

Make me smile.

wise words indeed iwakar
    Who made the women or operator god - not that I believe in god be it he, she or an it.
    I don't understand how these topics always seem to become fights about what nation you're from (Usually America vs. the rest of the world).

Nor do I understand why it's always about guns.

It's simply wrong to do what the criminals did, and the woman had every right to defend her and her baby's livelihood.

Why does it matter that she was American? Would you simply have let them rob and/or kill you just because you aren't from America or whatever?

And why does it matter that she used a gun? I don't own a gun, if this had happened to me I'd be waiting in the darkness with my knife, no gun required. So lets not make this a second amendment fight.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    If I were a new mother whose husband had just passed away, I would do anything to protect my child (and therefore myself), and my last link to my husband. I am glad to know about that law. I hope to one day learn to shoot a handgun, and to have one tucked away in my home.
    Castle doctrine only applies in certain states: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    So if someone entered my home, I would have the legal right to kill them? Badass!!!
    Not if you invite them in.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Not if you invite them in.
    An important fine detail to point out.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    What is her knowledge base and life experience through which she can make an informed decision regarding what is best for her? How able is she to live on her own, and thus escape a heavily dependent and powerless role in the relationship?
    We don't have the answers to any of these questions. That is my point. An individual (relationship) is not a statistic. If hers was the one in a hundred that made sense, who are we to criticize?

(See the films "Fanny" and "Georgy Girl" for fictional examples.)
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Hmmm, I think I watched a docu once about an way older man marrying a young girl just to rescue her from a sexually abusive father and get her out of the country she was living in . It was pretty horrific the abuse she went through (at her father's hand). Actually really unbelievable, until a series of health professionals came forward providing evidence. One doctor had been waiting years. I know what you were thinking, why didn't these people go to the authorities at the time. I think the daughter and father were living in Samoa, or Fiji....something like that, and the father had local authories under his palm.
    All's not as it seems some times. If the couple hadn't come out with their story, the old man would have come across as pervie too, instead of what he was, a kind man who gave a young girl her life back.
    There's a book I think, some thing about dancing on water. The girl actually had a demenour not to dissimlar from the girl in the OP. Really calm and collected.
    Let's be honest, the mum was definitely far older than her years.
    I'm not disagreeing with Lowtech red neck, but I think if that were the case she'd be a shell shocked victim, not an empowered momma bear.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    We don't have the answers to any of these questions. That is my point. An individual (relationship) is not a statistic. If hers was the one in a hundred that made sense, who are we to criticize?

(See the films "Fanny" and "Georgy Girl" for fictional examples.)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    Hmmm, I think I watched a docu once about an way older man marrying a young girl just to rescue her from a sexually abusive father and get her out of the country she was living in . It was pretty horrific the abuse she went through (at her father's hand). Actually really unbelievable, until a series of health professionals came forward providing evidence. One doctor had been waiting years. I know what you were thinking, why didn't these people go to the authorities at the time. I think the daughter and father were living in Samoa, or Fiji....something like that, and the father had local authories under his palm.
    All's not as it seems some times. If the couple hadn't come out with their story, the old man would have come across as pervie too, instead of what he was, a kind man who gave a young girl her life back.
    There's a book I think, some thing about dancing on water. The girl actually had a demenour not to dissimlar from the girl in the OP. Really calm and collected.
    Let's be honest, the mum was definitely far older than her years.
    I'm not disagreeing with Lowtech red neck, but I think if that were the case she'd be a shell shocked victim, not an empowered momma bear.
    All of which is why I phrased my comments in terms of statistical probability and whether or not the man is the biological father of the baby.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    All of which is why I phrased my comments in terms of statistical probability and whether or not the man is the biological father of the baby.
    I wasn't disagreeing really. I mean the age difference does raise eyebrows, and rightly so, Good Morning America (I'm assuming) elected not to bring it to the attention of the general public, as it's a secondary issue. She just seemed to have an extraordinary presence of mind for an 18 year, which was why the story was brought to the media's attention in the first place, I'm gathering.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]