User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Because if he was the sort of man who impregnated a seventeen year-old girl (and likely dated her when she was even younger) when he was 57, then it seems highly likely that the dirty old man possesed a host of other character defects that would have negatively impacted the girl and her child's lives had he lived.

Yeah, I generally assume that 57 year-old men who date 17-year-old girls are likely degenerates and that such relationships tend to be highly unhealthy for the girls and any children involved. I'm such an unreasonable, close-minded and judgemental asshole.
    I can envision circumstances in which the relationship would be unhealthy, as you describe. I can also envision circumstances in which it would have been sensible and healthy. Insufficient information is available to make a meaningful assessment. If this young woman has the composure and presence of mind to act as she did in these harrowing circumstances, she is already well ahead of many of her elders.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFP

If I were a new mother whose husband had just passed away, I would do anything to protect my child (and therefore myself), and my last link to my husband. I am glad to know about that law. I hope to one day learn to shoot a handgun, and to have one tucked away in my home.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    If I were a new mother whose husband had just passed away, I would do anything to protect my child (and therefore myself), and my last link to my husband. I am glad to know about that law. I hope to one day learn to shoot a handgun, and to have one tucked away in my home.
    Shotguns are generally better for home defense, in my opinion, because it's easier to hit your target. Shotgun shots are also less likely to go through the walls of your home, injuring bystanders, than a bullet from a handgun. Also, staring down the barrel of a shotgun can be pretty intimidating, especially if it's pump action.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    The second guy that didn't make it into the house gave himself up... but he should die anyway??? @Tyrinth

I'm glad the mother and child are alright, but frankly I don't know how to celebrate death under any circumstances, even if it's necessary, and I don't want to learn how.
    I wish the second guy was dead, too. If he's reckless enough to get involved in something like this, society is better off if he doesn't exist.

I have no problem celebrating the death of the one who died. He made a conscious decision to invade someone's home. Not only that, he planned it out by casing the woman's home beforehand. Society benefits from his elimination.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

You Americans,
    with your nra (powerful aint they, and your badly written constitution - which incidentally applies to days of yore for wiping said race of your chopice from histiory - curiously not allowing them to arm em-selves to the teeth),lobbyists, financers etc.

Make me smile.

wise words indeed iwakar
    Who made the women or operator god - not that I believe in god be it he, she or an it.
    I asked it once, "What are you doing on Earth?" It said, "Listen, if you're a mushroom, you live cheap; besides, I'm telling you, this was a very nice neighborhood until the monkeys got out of control."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grande Muffin View Post
    Who made the women or operator god - not that I believe in god be it he, she or an it.
    What does "god" have to do with this? "god" wouldn't need to defend himself. All organisms living on this planet defend themselves one way or another. Who are you to say this woman shouldn't have defended herself? You're nobody.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grande Muffin View Post
    You Americans,
    with your nra (powerful aint they, and your badly written constitution - which incidentally applies to days of yore for wiping said race of your chopice from histiory - curiously not allowing them to arm em-selves to the teeth),lobbyists, financers etc.

Make me smile.

wise words indeed iwakar
    The information available to her at the time gave her reasonable basis for considering it a life threatening situation. That is, it was a situation where if she did not shoot the intruder, she might have died (and what of her infant?). With that, she had perfect justification for attempting to incapacitate the intruder, and being the sort of situation it was, you can't really blame her for happening to kill the man.

Perhaps the way to look at it is like so; if it wasn't good for her to shoot the guy, would the events following her refusal to shoot him have been better?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I can envision circumstances in which the relationship would be unhealthy, as you describe. I can also envision circumstances in which it would have been sensible and healthy. Insufficient information is available to make a meaningful assessment. If this young woman has the composure and presence of mind to act as she did in these harrowing circumstances, she is already well ahead of many of her elders.
    But which do you think is more likely, and by how large a margin? Most scenarios in which I can envision a reasonable chance of a relatively healthy relationship is in times and places where woman's options are heavily limited and most people are farmers in a highly stratified, structurally impoverished society.

In many respects, the girl in question does seem ahead of the curve, but not necessarily in most aspects pertinent to a relationship with a much older man.

What is her knowledge base and life experience through which she can make an informed decision regarding what is best for her? How able is she to live on her own, and thus escape a heavily dependent and powerless role in the relationship?

Last but not least, how can a minimally conscietous 57 year-old man be in a position to have a relationship with an underage (in terms of legal adulthood) girl, outside of deliberate decisions on his part? Its unlikely they began dating on anything aproximating an equal footing, though its possible she had a GED and was living on her own and met him as an equally ranked employee at some menial job. The most likely answer, however, is that he's a predator with control issues who sought out and exploited a position of power (formal or informal) over an inexperienced and dependent young girl.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Because if he was the sort of man who impregnated a seventeen year-old girl (and likely dated her when she was even younger) when he was 57, then it seems highly likely that the dirty old man possesed a host of other character defects that would have negatively impacted the girl and her child's lives had he lived.

Yeah, I generally assume that 57 year-old men who date 17-year-old girls are likely degenerates and that such relationships tend to be highly unhealthy for the girls and any children involved. I'm such an unreasonable, close-minded and judgemental asshole.
    That makes sense. I didn't think of that. I just hope she and the child will have a good life.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

So if someone entered my home, I would have the legal right to kill them? Badass!!!