First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    The second guy that didn't make it into the house gave himself up... but he should die anyway??? @Tyrinth

I'm glad the mother and child are alright, but frankly I don't know how to celebrate death under any circumstances, even if it's necessary, and I don't want to learn how.
    I just believe that your home should be safe, I didn't catch that he didn't make it in.

Home invasion is one of those things I really don't take kindly to, though I understand my position can be seen as extreme.

I think some things do warrant lethal force, I support the death penalty etc., but that is a fight for another thread.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The intention is not to specifically kill, but to protect ones self knowing that killing may be the result. She also said she saw something shiny in his hand, thought it was a pistol. It was a knife, actually, but could she be blamed for thinking that and pulling the trigger? Being out-numbered two to one, with her child around, could she be blamed for shooting even if she knew it was a knife? All in all, I think this is about as justified as killing another human being can get.

As for the dead man, whatever his intentions were, it was mostly certainly destructive toward the mother in one way or another, and it's fairly obvious he was doing something that could provoke violent self-defense, and even if not, still police pursuit later. He was some dumb ass who should have known better. It's sad he died in the sense that it's sad he had wasted his life so badly.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

What MP said. I would find it hard to pull that trigger, but I would do it, especially if I had a child to protect. If you break into my home, especially with a weapon, you deserve what you get. I may give you a verbal warning to high-tail it out before I shoot, but shoot I will, and I'm a good shot. This guy scoped out her house before--even made contact with her. He knew exactly what he was doing. He just didn't expect her to defend herself.

When I took a self-defense/gun safety course at the local sheriff's office in my hometown, I was told if you were going to shoot at someone who was threatening your life, you should shoot to kill, not to maim.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Well, hopefully she does fine later in life.
    18, with a child and a husband that is physically not there anymore seems a bit rough and tough.
    I thought it was rather pathetic that they were preying on a woman whose husband had died of cancer on Christmas, because they knew she was alone with a baby and was only 18. From the story I read, the man who was killed came by the prior week claiming to be a "friendly" neighbor, but it sounds like he was either casing the place or decided to take advantage of her vulnerability with her husband gone.

I don't celebrate anyone's death in particuarly, but I also don't feel bad for the guy or anyone who came along with him. To prey purposefully on the weak and vulnerable is just the lowest of the low.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    ... This guy scoped out her house before--even made contact with her. He knew exactly what he was doing. He just didn't expect her to defend herself. When I took a self-defense/gun safety course at the local sheriff's office in my hometown, I was told if you were going to shoot at someone who was threatening your life, you should shoot to kill, not to maim.
    All that. And it's the most rational response, especially in a situation where you're vulnerable, outnumbered, are protecting someone who can't protect himself, and need to make every action count. I'm not going to go for an arm shot "just to be nice," because if I miss or it doesn't incapacitate him, the outcome would be dire.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I have no problem with how this went down.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    xNTJ
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    ...Uhh, I'm not sure I should answer that.
    I will for you.

Yes.

Better luck next time, in regards to the man who will be released and just learn craftier ways of breaking and entering, and perhaps another partner to be his canary into the next coal mine.

Easy way to celebrate death; learn from the dead guy, don't do what he did and be happy you're alive.
    All I'm saying is if you want to take the risk of stealing, you have to accept the circumstances. The one that got away was smarter than the one who got shot, but no better at the game.

xNTJ (other type; INTP 88%)
    Extroverted (E) 50%% Introverted (I) 50%%
    Intuitive (N) 90% Sensing (S) 10%
    Thinking (T) 90% Feeling (F) 10%
    Judging (J) 90% Percieving (J) 10%

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

I was curious when they showed the picture of her deceased husband, looking very 1970's ... and found a news report that said he was 58 and died of lung cancer.

It seems the perpetrators knew he had been receiving cancer treatments and thought there would be prescription narcotics in the home.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Well, hopefully she does fine later in life.

18, with a child and a husband that is physically not there anymore seems a bit rough and tough.
    1.) Good for her.

2.) If her 58-year-old dead husband was the biological father of her baby, then its far more likely than not she and her baby are better off without him around. Just sayin'.

Anew Leaf

In response to what @Tyrinth said: I agree with the spirit of what this was said. These men specifically targetted her because her husband had just died and she was young and alone. If you want to live by the sword, don't be surprised when you die by the sword.

Overall I am glad she had the wits about her to do what needed to be done to protect herself and her baby. I can't even imagine the grief and stress and challenges she has been dealing with these past few months. The last thing she needed was these two bozos breaking into her home out of sheer malice.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    1.) Good for her.

2.) If her 58-year-old dead husband was the biological father of her baby, then its far more likely than not she and her baby are better off without him around. Just sayin'.
    Why?