First 31112131415 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

http://news.yahoo.com/rick-santorum-...-abc-news.html

Still riding high off of his three-win streak in Minnesota, Missouri and Colorado last week, Rick Santorum blasted Republican rival Mitt Romney on Sunday, saying the GOP frontrunner was getting "desperate" by trying to paint Santorum as anything less than a true conservative.

"For him to suggest that I'm not the conservative in this race - you know, there's - you reach a point where desperate people do desperate things," Santorum told me on "This Week."

...Santorum said that despite his third place finish in the Maine caucus on Saturday, he expects to "do exceptionally well" in the Arizona and Michigan primaries the end of the month. The former Pennsylvania Senator his strong showing in the next two contests would make the GOP nomination a "two person race."

Santorum credited Romney's success thus far not to his policies or record, but to his fundraising prowess. Romney currently leads Santorum in the delegate count 105 delegates to Santorum's 71 delegates...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Overview of Santorum's 2005 book and how he's so dichotomous....

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/r...122819958.html

Rick Santorum, who should be basking in his sudden star turn as the poll-vaulting anti-Romney, is the latest author to pay a political price for his literary ambitions. Making the rounds of last Sunday morning's talk shows, the former Pennsylvania senator came under fire for his unflattering comments about "radical feminists" in his half-forgotten 2005 book, It Takes a Family: Conservatism and the Common Good. On "Meet the Press," host David Gregory challenged Santorum to defend his book's claim, "The radical feminists succeeded in undermining the traditional family and convincing women that professional accomplishments are the key to happiness." Rather than try to justify his implicit critique of women of childbearing years finding fulfillment in the workplace, Santorum vaguely affirmed a woman's right to choose her career and gallantly insisted that "the section was written in large part in cooperation" with his (non-working) wife, Karen.

From this TV exchange, it would be easy to assume that Santorum's book is a political screed filled with short paragraphs, wide margins, angry put-downs of liberals and lots of exclamation points. And, in truth, Santorum's language does get overheated at times: "We now have a generation that has grown up with the belief, inspired by the Sixties' free-love assault on sexual mores, that true love is a feeling, and that it should not be resisted or constrained--rather, its ultimate validation is through sexual relations, without regard to the outdated social convention of marriage." (Unless he was a particularly precocious conservative, Santorum is channeling the opinions of others in his scorn for the Sixties. He was 11 years old at the time of Woodstock).

But what is fascinating about It Takes a Family is that it is far more a densely argued social conservative manifesto than a standard-issue political volume designed to win votes or provide the policy framework for a presidential campaign. Newt Gingrich--the author of 23 books, including memoirs, policy pronouncements and political potboilers--purports to be the conservative intellectual in the Republican presidential race. But Santorum, in his zeal to be taken seriously as a thinker, mobilizes a wide array of social-science research (including some citations from liberals) to buttress his argument that hedonistic individualism is jeopardizing traditional families and their irreplaceable role in raising children. This, of course, is an explosive topic--and it is unlikely that Santorum can win many converts among liberal and moderate skeptics. But it is hard not to be impressed by the energy that Santorum devotes to his argument. ....
    It's kind of an interesting overview...

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It's kind of an interesting overview...
    Blah, Santorum still lives in the Culture Wars time frame.

MBTI
    INTP

Heh. I voted Romney, my mother voted Santorum, and my dad voted Gingrich. Now I'm curious about how my sisters voted....

Anyway, Gingrich won Georgia (no real surprise) and it was a do-or-die race for him, so its still going to be a four-man race after tonight (though I doubt Paul would drop out until near the end, anyway).

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The fact that Romney has losses or small margins of victory against a guy with a fraction of the spending a halved voting base really does not bode well for him.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    The fact that Romney has losses or small margins of victory against a guy with a fraction of the spending a halved voting base really does not bode well for him.
    Pretty much we're going to watch Romney take the nomination and then be crushed in the main event. I put him in the same category, generally, as Bob Dole in 1996.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Heh. I voted Romney, my mother voted Santorum, and my dad voted Gingrich. Now I'm curious about how my sisters voted....

Anyway, Gingrich won Georgia (no real surprise) and it was a do-or-die race for him, so its still going to be a four-man race after tonight (though I doubt Paul would drop out until near the end, anyway).
    Technically it's a four-way. Realistically, Santorum will grab a few more southern states, but his strength is his weakness -- he's just too darn hard-right to appeal to the bulk of his base. Gingrich might win another state or two; Paul might not win anything; and right now Santorum is trying to pressure Gingrich's supporters to dump him for Santorum, since he would have won Ohio if Gingrich hadn't been running there.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Technically it's a four-way. Realistically, Santorum will grab a few more southern states, but his strength is his weakness -- he's just too darn hard-right to appeal to the bulk of his base. Gingrich might win another state or two; Paul might not win anything; and right now Santorum is trying to pressure Gingrich's supporters to dump him for Santorum, since he would have won Ohio if Gingrich hadn't been running there.
    Is it a given that most of Gingrich's votes will go to Santorum because they are "Anyone but Romney" votes? I remember reading some poll where Romney is usually the 2nd choice even for Gingrich supporters.
    I have trouble pegging who Gingrich's supporters are. It's clear the type of voters that Romney, Santorum and Paul would appeal to
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Paul should win the nomination. He's not a great candidate, but the others aren't worth their weight in horse shit. That said, Romney will win. As for the presidency, that's anyone's guess, though I predict Obama will win by a small margin.
    Last edited by captain curmudgeon; 03-08-2012 at 04:15 PM.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Pretty much we're going to watch Romney take the nomination and then be crushed in the main event. I put him in the same category, generally, as Bob Dole in 1996.
    I'd love to see Santorum get the nomination if for no other reason than to send a message to the religious right that the rest of the country rejects their ideology. He would have the potential to lose by the largest margin in American history.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I'd love to see Santorum get the nomination if for no other reason than to send a message to the religious right that the rest of the country rejects their ideology. He would have the potential to lose by the largest margin in American history.
    I've actually seen at least one commentator suggest as much.